What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL clubs 'furious' they have not been consulted on AUS v TON in NYC

Burns

First Grade
Link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...a-new-york-state-of-mind-20180719-p4zsi6.html
~~~~~~~~~
Clubs are furious they haven’t been consulted about a potential Australia-Tonga Test in New York, putting them on another collision course with the NRL.

The governing body is investigating the feasibility of staging the international at the 25,000-seat capacity Red Bull Arena on October 20. It’s understood the promoter is Ricky Wilby, the man attempting to establish a New York franchise to compete in the Super League competition.

The NRL is also seeking to take an opening round competition game to the United States next season, with Melbourne and South Sydney the likely participants if the concept goes ahead.

Rugby League Central was highly critical of the Denver Test between England and New Zealand last month, citing a lack of consultation between the stakeholders. The clubs, concerned about the toll the game and the travel would take on its stars, sided with head office. However, they are again at loggerheads after only learning about another potential American sojourn in the press.

Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill, a champion of the international game who ran the successful 2017 Rugby League World Cup, was blindsided by the latest American proposal.

“As a club CEO, I know nothing about any proposed Australia-Tonga game,” Hill said.

“Having a strong background in international footy, I understand the amount of work that goes into a one-off Test match in America and we’re nearly in August, with six weeks of a season to go, and I still have no idea if the proposed game is an opportunity for us to broker.”

Penrith counterpart Brian Fletcher added: “We don’t get the privilege of getting involved in discussions.

“They just make decisions and don’t check with the heartland. Us at club level, we don’t get consulted on what’s going on.”

The Denver Test was a strong advertisement for the game, but a lack of cooperation from the clubs and the NRL was a contributing factor to the promoter posting a loss. While the latest US expedition is in the off-season it comes at a time when most players are enjoying their mandated time off.

“It’s the first I’ve heard of it,” said Gold Coast CEO Graham Annesley.

“If it’s factual, it would obviously be in the players’ normal annual leave period, which has implications for training and the resumption of training in the collective bargaining agreement.

“We would want to know a lot more detail before we formed an opinion one way or the other.”

The NRL is finishing up a feasibility study on the project, but it’s understood that the match is a strong possibility of going ahead. If not, New Zealand is seen as an alternate destination for the Test.

Warriors CEO Cameron George said the timing of the New York game suits the clubs better than the mid-season Denver Test, but his preference is to stage the match in New Zealand rather than New York.

“I haven’t heard about it until today when I read about it,” George said.

“I have a personal view that we should first get things right in our own backyard.

“The NZRL chose to go to the States to play footy in order to grow the game, but we’ve got a lot of work to do in our own backyard to get it humming up against rugby union, we want to become the number one sport here.

“Playing Test matches here will certainly enhance the growth and participation of rugby league.

“I have that view because I’m at the coalface of it.”

Tonga’s World Cup victory over New Zealand captivated both nations and attracted a sellout crowd in Hamilton. George believes an Australia-Tonga match in the region would be a box-office hit.

“It would be absolutely outstanding to have it in New Zealand,” he said.

“The benefits of having that in the backyard of rugby league would do everything to grow the sport’s participation and awareness and aspiration of playing for country.

“If you rewind two years ago, that Test match wouldn’t have had much interest. But now, why wouldn’t you export it where you could sell it out, put on a fantastic event and grow awareness of the sport?

“Taking it over there, I understand the big market the States offer. But we need to get our market humming first. That would only add long-term benefits.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

L-O-L - How good is Andrew Hill, CEO of the 'successful' RLWC 2017 complaining they have been blindsided. Penrith having their typical whinge on the heartlands. At least the Warriors seem somewhat supportive, understandably from a NZ perspective.

But the general vibe is all not surprising. This is a Test happening AFTER the NRL season, and there is STILL concerns on player welfare and their training schedule for next season. Some of the NRL clubs should just come out and say they don't want international RL played at all, ever.

DC_fan

Coach
Looks a rather impressive stadium. With a capacity of 25,000 it will be much more suitable for what should be the expected crowd. The downside comes in what other sporting events it clashes with. Baseballs World Series starts just a few days later, and this plus the NFL dominate the sports news cycle. But it doesn’t matter when you play the game in America you will always clash with at least one of the three major sports.

1920px-Red_Bull_Arena_Harrison_behind_goal.jpg

yakstorm

First Grade
I just wish they would lock in this Test. Whether it's in New York, Utah, Hawaii, Auckland, Brisbane or Qatar, let's just make it official.

The longer it remains, 'in the air', the greater the chance they'll just claim that they have run out of time to organise it and it will get pushed.

As for the clubs, they were told in the last CEO conference that this match was being planned and that they were looking at that time at US, Qatar, Australia and NZ... Maybe they thought US was still Hawaii, but regardless, they love a whinge.

Pommy

Coach
I thought the RLPA were against more than one test this year?
Won’t someone please think of the players welfare!!!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rlpa have said they weren’t consulted and unhappy as well. Bunch of merkins at all levels of our great game! Is ridiculous how unplanned the Arlc is though, this shou,d have all been locked in after RLWC,and before season ko.

Burns

First Grade
Rlpa have said they weren’t consulted and unhappy as well. Bunch of merkins at all levels of our great game! Is ridiculous how unplanned the Arlc is though, this shou,d have all been locked in after RLWC,and before season ko.
Link?

T-Boon

Coach
But the general vibe is all not surprising. This is a Test happening AFTER the NRL season, and there is STILL concerns on player welfare and their training schedule for next season.

Exactly. There is already too much "training" in the NRL. Training doesnt bring anything into the sport. Playing actual games does. The NRL clubs just want to get more wrestling practice in.

latingringo101

Juniors
I think the main issue here is communication by the ARLC, RLPA, national governing bodies and clubs. There's been no official confirmation for this match but through various external media releases and even fans themselves are confused.

At the start of the year when the NRL schedule is released, a full list of confirmed international matches with EVERYONE being on the same page would be a great start

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So let's get the RLIF and all of its full members to the table for an extraordinary general meeting and bring this issue to a head.

Let's use this as leverage with the national governing bodies to lock in a test calendar and make a rule that all bi-lateral tests must be locked in at least 12 months before kick-off. That will help solve the communication problems because the clubs will be aware where and when all tests will be played before the season kicks off.

geordie_saint

Juniors
So let's get the RLIF and all of its full members to the table for an extraordinary general meeting and bring this issue to a head.

Let's use this as leverage with the national governing bodies to lock in a test calendar and make a rule that all bi-lateral tests must be locked in at least 12 months before kick-off. That will help solve the communication problems because the clubs will be aware where and when all tests will be played before the season kicks off.

I agree but you’d need a bit of leadership from someone to make that happen...

Matua

Bench
Probably because of the success of the Tongan games in nz last year!
Yeah, probably, but as a NZer I'd rather Tonga play the Kiwis in Auckland and the Aussies can piss off and play somewhere else. The Aussies don't give a toss about international league, have been whiny and obstructive about the Denver match so quite frankly they can go take a jump (that includes the Warriors are part of the NRL as well).

franklin2323

Immortal
I think the main issue here is communication by the ARLC, RLPA, national governing bodies and clubs. There's been no official confirmation for this match but through various external media releases and even fans themselves are confused.

At the start of the year when the NRL schedule is released, a full list of confirmed international matches with EVERYONE being on the same page would be a great start

Finally someone in this section has sense. This is should happen domestic leagues have no place in international scheduling

franklin2323

Immortal
The mid season game was fully agreed by all parties 15-16months ago...and what happens after the club grand finals is f**k all to do with the clubs..

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12003003

As reported in the Herald on Sunday last week, the Kiwis will face England in Denver in June.

The article is in Feb and says reported in Feb.. The NRL draw was out in November. Hopefully now there is notice about the next 2 the whinging stops

They still get paid after the GF players still get hurt. The Clubs should know ok there is a risk these 6 will be hurt and these 6 need a break after etc. They are people and should be able to play tests but are also employees and the Employers should atleast know in advance

It shouldn't be that hard to look now and confirm the 2019 International schedule. Then don't listen to the leagues when they complain.