What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

INTERESTING! St George set for 100% of JV

hazzbeen

Bench
Off the top of my head Frizzel, Sims, Field, Luc Leilua, Aitken, Lawrie. Probably a few others. A lot playing for other clubs. Oh, and MacGregor of course.

Frankly, if you don't develop juniors that just turns you into a Manly or a Roosters or a Storm type club ie clubs with no soul. Who wants to support that?
True what you say mate , but in the end its about winning premiership's and being on top for long periods . Lot of people don't care how they get there as long as the do , that's the sad part .....

Carlton

Juniors
I was wondering if anyone would have any idea of how much St Georges Leagues club would be worth. I am only talking about the actual Leagues club and the land that the Leagues clubs sits on, not the other assets that the League's Club owns. Like say if someone wanted to buy St George Leagues Club?

Then how much would it cost to buy St George Illawarra Rugby League Club too. I am thinking that they may want 40 million for St George Illawarra Rugby League Club, but have no idea how much it would cost to purchase the Leagues Club too.

The balance sheet of the Leagues club shows net assets of approximatley $49 million. Thats the value of the assets less all the liabilities the club has (this is the minimum of what the club is worth as there is no consideration for future cash flow and the club is profitable). The land valuation in the balance sheet is $32 million, there was a valuation a couple of years ago of land $38.5 million and buildings $8 million. I suspect due to the age of the valuation these values are low and also it was based on continued current use.

Also, there are significant (virtually fully depreciated assets) in the balance sheet. that means they have no value as far as the balance sheet is concerned but in fact may have been depreciated below their realisable value.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
From memory, seven out of the 17 players who triumphed in 2010 were Illawarra juniors.

Morris, Cooper, Hornby, Creagh, Young, Prior, Merrin.

If Hunt didn’t wreck his Achilles Tendon (and his career as he was never the same), I dare say he would’ve been an eighth player.

This is an impressive number.

Conversely, St. George juniors numbered two: Gasnier and Nightingale.

So, it’s a total of nine locally bred individuals, Name a single team which can boast a similarly high percentage of juniors from the area it represents.

I hardly think the Illawarra Rugby League would simply fall over and acquiesce its young talent so they can play football under the St. George banner.

Whether or not you like the joint venture arrangement or otherwise, it’s important to remember that since day one St. George has had the finance, and the Steelers has had the playing talent (which is vital for ANY club to remain competitive.

As such, the status quo needs to remain in place with a number of necessary tweaks.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Off the top of my head Frizzel, Sims, Field, Luc Leilua, Aitken, Lawrie. Probably a few others. A lot playing for other clubs. Oh, and MacGregor of course.

Frankly, if you don't develop juniors that just turns you into a Manly or a Roosters or a Storm type club ie clubs with no soul. Who wants to support that?

Johnno
You are correct re above.
Except
Luc he is a hustville united junior as is sele.
Dufty penhurst rsl
and nighty renown

SBD82

Coach
Johnno
You are correct re above.
Except
Luc he is a hustville united junior as is sele.
Dufty penhurst rsl
and nighty renown
Not that I don't believe you, but I'm surprised that luc is a hurstville junior. His brother was a Berkeley high school student.

ouryears

Bench

Currently 3 or 4 players who are REGULARLY in the first grade team are local juniors. Pretty much we support a team of purchased players, having only 3 or 4 makes us just like the Rorters and Storm.

Except we lose and they seem to win.

Then you have the Panthers who are choc block full of juniors.
The sun has set and the fat lady has sung on our once great pipe line of juniors.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Currently 3 or 4 players who are REGULARLY in the first grade team are local juniors. Pretty much we support a team of purchased players, having only 3 or 4 makes us just like the Rorters and Storm.

The sun has set and the fat lady has sung on our once great pipe line of juniors.
It is about winning the premiership. There are no prizes for the team that has the most juniors in it.

Draginzaaar

Bench

Are the Roosters or Panthers coming 2nd?

ouryears

Bench
It is about winning the premiership. There are no prizes for the team that has the most juniors in it.
It makes a club more sustainable if they have a decent number of local juniors in the team.

Roosters draw crap crowds and it’s no coincidence that their team is full of guns for hire, one reason why their support has dropped to lawn bowls numbers.

My opinion is there will be more support , more passion and bigger crowds if the culture of a club is to have a decent number of local juniors representing the club.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Organic growth, anyone?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If St George end up buying out Illawarra, I would like to see St George running the first grade side with Illawarra running the ISP side and their junior competition. We could still have a relationship where Illawarra is the feeder club.

Yeah, and the ex Steeler crowd would absolutely LURVE that idea.

:joy:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It makes a club more sustainable if they have a decent number of local juniors in the team.

Roosters draw crap crowds and it’s no coincidence that their team is full of guns for hire, one reason why their support has dropped to lawn bowls numbers.

My opinion is there will be more support , more passion and bigger crowds if the culture of a club is to have a decent number of local juniors representing the club.

Is this necessarily true though?

Harking back to the glorious 1956-‘66 era, how many regulars of that period were actual St. George juniors?

Latest posts