What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20 Parra v Souths GAME DAY thread 28/7/18

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon you and the refs would be the only ones who would think that way. No way was the tackle complete. If he was able to get up and run again I would not have batted an eyelid. Actually I would have been cursing Moses for missing the tackle.
And that's why if there's any doubt at all the default should be play on. If in doubt, don't blow the whistle, even if something obviously went wrong but the ref can't tell what, or who infringed first. Just play on FFS. There would be far fewer howlers.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
And that's why if there's any doubt at all the default should be play on. If in doubt, don't blow the whistle, even if something obviously went wrong but the ref can't tell what, or who infringed first. Just play on FFS. There would be far fewer howlers.
Amen to that.

T.S Quint

Coach

I absolutely agree.
People can understand a ref missing something, and will get over it.
When they blow the whistle for something that hasn't even happened, that's just not acceptable.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Pou for refs Boss, it would be very exciting.

JokerEel

First Grade
There is probably 6 refs at the moment worth feeding.. For all the attention he gets Perenara actually is a good ref compared to Suttons & Badgers..

eel01s

Bench
The only decision that I reckon was wrong was the supposed knock on by Terepo. No ref saw it as they were going to let play go on. Sam Burgess started yelling he lost it and then a very late call from the ref says knock on. Not one replay indicated he lost it. In saying that it was Peni Terepo so who knows?
The rest of the decisions I can cop - including the Norman sin binning. I was yelling at the tv for him to get off him. He laid on him for ages 1m out from our try line after we had given a number of penalties away already
Where was our Captain? Why did he not approach the ref and make a complaint? Refs only seem to listen to certain players.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Where was our Captain? Why did he not approach the ref and make a complaint? Refs only seem to listen to certain players.
That is the difference. Sam Burgess was complaining to the ref just before when we were on their line and saying that they weren't getting anything their way. Then boom. Peni "knocks on" after he starts complaining and every call goes Souths way from then on. Just shows you need to complain at the right time.

Noise

Coach

I don't think Gutherson is the greatest choice for captain. Unfortunately we don't seem to have anyone else that would make a great captain.

T.S Quint

Coach
I don't think Gutherson is the greatest choice for captain. Unfortunately we don't seem to have anyone else that would make a great captain.

I reckon Gutho would be a good 'lead by example' captain, but probably not a good 'I'm going to make the refs do what I want with my superior mind powers' captain.

eel01s

Bench
Yep. Our last few captains (bar Scott and very briefly Foran) have been too nice and very easily brushed off by the refs.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Our Coach is tolerant of the Refs. He probably requires his players to be the same. Gutho and Timmy might really be mad MFs subdued by BA?

Gazzamatta

Coach
That is the difference. Sam Burgess was complaining to the ref just before when we were on their line and saying that they weren't getting anything their way. Then boom. Peni "knocks on" after he starts complaining and every call goes Souths way from then on. Just shows you need to complain at the right time.
Sadly our extended poor periods in matches can generally be targeted to one specific error. Points to us dropping our heads. Seems to happen every game.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Yep. Our last few captains (bar Scott and very briefly Foran) have been too nice and very easily brushed off by the refs.

Not sure that's the case
Smiths standing in the game the refs are probably in awe of the bloke, so aside form asking him for an autograph they listen to him more so than others. If you listen to him speaking he is quite respectfull.
Lockyer had the same presence, as well as JT.

Until we get Bill Harrigan type referees, who took no nonsense from anyone, it will be more of the same

strider

Post Whore
Not sure that's the case
Smiths standing in the game the refs are probably in awe of the bloke, so aside form asking him for an autograph they listen to him more so than others. If you listen to him speaking he is quite respectfull.
Lockyer had the same presence, as well as JT.

Until we get Bill Harrigan type referees, who took no nonsense from anyone, it will be more of the same
100% with smith and also lockyer .... no one comes close to smith - he is unique in that and his control and composure probably is the reason he will be an immortal

But JT has been a mad muthaf**ker with refs for alot of his career but allowed to get away with it .... maybe being a gun player earns that

Noise

Coach
I reckon Gutho would be a good 'lead by example' captain, but probably not a good 'I'm going to make the refs do what I want with my superior mind powers' captain.

With 'leadership groups' being in vogue, clubs should have a number of guys who lead by example. Gutho being one of them. Someone from that group (the captain) needs to be able to 'work' the refs. Gutho is not him.

hindy111

Post Whore
What do people think of Terepo? I been raving about the guy. Be honest are you glad he has signed up? He is just getting his groove and showing how well he can play with consistant footy. Next season he will reach peak.

Happy MEel

First Grade
What do people think of Terepo? I been raving about the guy. Be honest are you glad he has signed up? He is just getting his groove and showing how well he can play with consistant footy. Next season he will reach peak.
Terepo has definitely exceeded my expectations, but they were quite low to begin with. With Junior coming into the pack he’ll be fighting for that last bench spot with Evans, Lane, Kaufusi, possibly Musgrave etc.