What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pull your finger out widdop.

getsmarty

Immortal
Vasilevsky Guest
BennyV said:
Please find anywhere that i have stated that Mann was a better option at fullback than Dugan. I merely accepted it as an inevitability.

Also, interesting 2016 stat...
With Benji - 0% wins
Without Benji - 100% wins

Discuss.
I started a thread about Widdop, provided an in-depth analysis and all you homies do is rave about Benji. Of course I know why it is. You hate to face the truth about how utterly useless Widdop is so you want to change the subject.

Sounds familiar.

Drag Queen

Bench
Go support another team you Muppet...You are clueless...bye bye Vas/Glen/sigurd/Ruby etc..
Widdop wins Player of the Year Medal
Sun 17th September, 07:30PM
A A

1505640652212.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons Awards night at Doletone House , Pyrmont .Picture : Gregg Porteous

St George Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop has won the prestigious Dragons Player of the Year Medal at the annual presentation night on Sunday.

The English international was duly selected by both his peers and the coaching staff following a season that saw him also selected as the RLPA Five-eighth of the Year.

2017 recruit Paul Vaughan was also recognised for his outstanding season, taking home two awards in the Red V Members Player of the Year and the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy.

Selby was a hardworking and respected Dragon who was tragically killed in a car accident in 1989, with Vaughan – who will play in the Prime Minister's XIII clash against Papua New Guinea next week – awarded the honour for displaying characteristics of the award's namesake.

Fellow recruit Cameron McInnes was awarded the Dragons Immortals Trophy, an award selected by the coaching staff in consideration with the Immortals criteria of demonstrating outstanding commitment and dedication in all aspects of rugby league.

Reigning NRL Ken Stephen Medallist Joel Thompson won his third-straight Dragons Community Involvement Award for his tireless work in the community.

Thompson also won the Mark Coyne Trophy for career development, with the back-rower currently studying a Diploma of Leadership and Management as well as him undertaking work experience in the juvenile justice system.

Young Dragons back-rower Jackson Ford won the Paul McGregor Trophy as the Under-20s Player of the Year, while Luciano Leilua and Jack Payne took home the Illawarra Player of the Year and the Illawarra Coach's Award respectively.

Dragons Player of the Year Medal Recipients:

2017: Gareth Widdop
2016: Tyson Frizell
2015: Leeson Ah Mau
2014: Ben Creagh
2013: Trent Merrin
2012: Brett Morris
2011: Jason Nightingale
2010: Ben Creagh
2009: Ben Creagh
2008: Jason Ryles
2007: Ben Creagh
2006: Mark Gasnier and Jason Ryles
2005: Luke Bailey
2004: Mathew Head
2003: Ben Hornby
2002: Shaun Timmins
2001: Jason Ryles
2000: Trent Barrett
1999: Jamie Ainscough

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/17/widdop_wins_player_o.html
Don't tell ouryears to let fact get in the way of a bloody grand delusion GS :rolleyes:

ouryears

Bench
It's amazing what happens when LEADERS lead the way.

None of ours stood up.
Not Widdop, not Graham, not Fritz, not JDB, not Vaughan,
no one, not a soul.

Soft and weak asses

Frank Facer

First Grade
Widdop is hot and cold. He started off last on fire. He got injured against Easts and then we started to struggle. When Widdop came back from injury, he failed to find his early season form. This year he again started the year off in fine form, but his form has dipped dramatically over the last 12 games or so. His form in 2016 had myself and many others all calling for us to sign a new and better 5/8. I think he looks like a bit of a fair weather player. He looks to play well, when those playing around him are playing well, but when times get tough, he goes missing in action. He can become too kick happy and run across the field too much. I don't see him as a captain or leader.

We struggle to play from behind, we are good front runners.

Widdop is hot and cold. He started off last on fire. He got injured against Easts and then we started to struggle. When Widdop came back from injury, he failed to find his early season form. This year he again started the year off in fine form, but his form has dipped dramatically over the last 12 games or so. His form in 2016 had myself and many others all calling for us to sign a new and better 5/8. I think he looks like a bit of a fair weather player. He looks to play well, when those playing around him are playing well, but when times get tough, he goes missing in action. He can become too kick happy and run across the field too much. I don't see him as a captain or leader.

We struggle to play from behind, we are good front runners.
I totally agree and while he does plenty of good things and is a fine goal kicker, he is not the kind of 5/8 that will win you a comp.
Look at the likes of Munster, Maloney, Morgan - tough halves who constantly challenge the line.
I always thought that Bennett's use of Widdop at FB in the English national side was a real slap in the face for Widdop even though he was 5/8 of the year last year and is there abouts again this year.
One thing for sure, he ain't no captain or leader of men.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I totally agree and while he does plenty of good things and is a fine goal kicker, he is not the kind of 5/8 that will win you a comp.
Look at the likes of Munster, Maloney, Morgan - tough halves who constantly challenge the line.
I always thought that Bennett's use of Widdop at FB in the English national side was a real slap in the face for Widdop even though he was 5/8 of the year last year and is there abouts again this year.
Munster is off contract at the end of next year. If I was in charge of us, I would target Munster and if we signed him, then offload Widdop, like Easts did with Cronk and Pearce.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I’m more concerned about having a fullback who looks terribly indecisive in catching bombs.

There were many times on Sunday when Dufty baulked and just simply did not want to catch the ball.

A hesitating fullback is as useful as a three dollar note.

He hasn’t performed against any top eight side (excluding early season form which is irrelevant).

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Putting aside salary cap rorting aside, Widdop excelled with Melbourne, I’m sure Bellamy would have him back in a jiffy.

saintm

Juniors
I’m more concerned about having a fullback who looks terribly indecisive in catching bombs.

There were many times on Sunday when Dufty baulked and just simply did not want to catch the ball.

He hasn’t performed against any top eight side (excluding early season form which is irrelevant).
Bullshit

getsmarty

Immortal

When did he drop one on sunday ???... Talk about going on with your agenda...I could imagine if we had turbo tom you would want him Expelled from the club....

Build a bridge and get over it...Dufty is one of the best prospects we have had in years...

Gareth67

First Grade
And the black cloud appears....Man this place gets Dark....anyone would think we are coming last....

After every loss we have the same nonsense...

getsmarty , you wouldn’t want to be in a life-boat with some of these blokes , there’s a damn good chance they would be gnawing on your arm or leg if you had the misfortune of falling to sleep .

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Captain and leader of this famous club again this time of year falling apart .Yesterday was a disgrace as captain did not show leadership. Firstly get rid of the hair what a joke has effected his game .Clubs like Storm or Broncos wouldnt let this happen .Has gone to Denver for a holiday and came back completely not focused.

Moron Jmoz and your other name vas

Last edited:

Latest posts