What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame and Immortals

Perth Red

Post Whore
So benders and social drugs made him the player he was? Ok mate.

Of course not, skill and talent made him the player, using drugs, by his own admission, allowed him to mentally be ready for games. It enhanced his performance by helping him cope with the pressure of playing according to him not me.

_Johnsy

Referee
He’s out of position in the immortal team you toss. At hooker back then he would’ve got his head caved in those days, he wouldn’t have been tough enough.

Who’s the hooker & winger. There is no team of immortals, just a group of players considered immortals of the game.

So I take it that’s a yes, ouch.

Haffa

Of course not, skill and talent made him the player, using drugs, by his own admission, allowed him to mentally be ready for games. It enhanced his performance by helping him cope with the pressure of playing according to him not me.
Except that’s not what he said. It allowed him to cope and escape from the pressures of life and get away from being a player. the same way a dozen schooners did for some of the other immortals.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Except that’s not what he said. It allowed him to cope and escape from the pressures of life and get away from being a player. the same way a dozen schooners did for some of the other immortals.

Schooners are not illegal or banned though. And yes that is what he said, coping with pressure is part of being able to perform (ask Foran). If hed used a few beers there’d be no issue but he didn’t, he used banned substances ergo he cheated by using drugs to deal with the psychological side of being a professional sportsmen. Anyways matters not, he was a great player and that was enough to get him admitted, druggie or not.

Last Week

Bench
Schooners are not illegal or banned though. And yes that is what he said, coping with pressure is part of being able to perform (ask Foran). If hed used a few beers there’d be no issue but he didn’t, he used banned substances ergo he cheated by using drugs to deal with the psychological side of being a professional sportsmen. Anyways matters not, he was a great player and that was enough to get him admitted, druggie or not.

You're a f**king idiot.

Saintsified

Bench
God bless you, Sir.

I must be living in a weird parallel universe where it's now taken as fact that Lockyer was better than Freddy.

Did I miss something? How was Freddy overlooked.

He was an absolute genius. Freak ball runner, freak long passing game, beast defender, world class in three positions, two Premierships, most capped Blue, led Australia many times. And was carving them up whilst still in high school.

But not even seriously considered. No seriously what did I miss? It can't be my Roosters bias alone surely.
Cause he ain't better than Daley.

Lambretta

First Grade
Brad Fitler, Alan Langer, Darren Lockyer...the list is endless. Nobody remembers Johns for his footy, he’s remembered as a drug addict.

Oh seriously, take a look at yourself you sanctimonious prick. Are you a footy fan or a moral crusader?

Andrew Johns was the best player along with Lockyer, Billy Slater and Cam Smith that I have seen play the game.

You do realise that back in the 90's the vast majority of league players, like so many other young people would have taken recreational drugs? I saw quite a few of them off chops myself back in the day. Doesn't make them bad people, it just means they enjoyed having fun. Oh and to be an addict you have to take a substance which is addictive. MDMA is non addictive. In fact, the more you use it, the less effective it is, the less you want to use it. It is not ice or heroin or cocaine.

Confusing them is like confusing taking a bus ride with driving at 150k whilst drunk through a school zone.

Oh seriously, take a look at yourself you sanctimonious prick. Are you a footy fan or a moral crusader?

Andrew Johns was the best player along with Lockyer, Billy Slater and Cam Smith that I have seen play the game.

You do realise that back in the 90's the vast majority of league players, like so many other young people would have taken recreational drugs? I saw quite a few of them off chops myself back in the day. Doesn't make them bad people, it just means they enjoyed having fun. Oh and to be an addict you have to take a substance which is addictive. MDMA is non addictive. In fact, the more you use it, the less effective it is, the less you want to use it. It is not ice or heroin or cocaine.

Confusing them is like confusing taking a bus ride with driving at 150k whilst drunk through a school zone.

Yep. I mean wasn't it in the early 1990s that nearly the entire South Sydney team failed drug tests for recreational drugs?

Jimmy Clark

Juniors

May the lord have mercy on your soul.

Wading through the shitposts and trolls(75% of which are mine), what do people think about Clyde, Daley, Stuart, Kenny,Sterling and Langer with respect to Immortal status?

Besides those mentioned already, for mine, that's probably the best group of players I've seen in my generation.
I'm surprised there is no mention of Mick Cronin. He was Meninga before Meninga and an absolute champion on and off the field. When he won the Rothmans Medal he said "Rugby League owes me nothing. I owe Rugby League everything" Unlike like Mal "Rugby League has done nothing for me" Meninga

Headless Chook

Juniors
I'm surprised there is no mention of Mick Cronin. He was Meninga before Meninga and an absolute champion on and off the field. When he won the Rothmans Medal he said "Rugby League owes me nothing. I owe Rugby League everything" Unlike like Mal "Rugby League has done nothing for me" Meninga
That Meninga comment still hits a raw nerve for so many, including me. I’m sure if he could turn back time he would erase it from living memory as it was said at an emotional stage of the games’ evolution and it’s obvious he doesn’t feel that way now.

Still, it would have been courageous and commendable if he acknowledged it during his Immortals speech.

Saintsified

Bench
That Meninga comment still hits a raw nerve for so many, including me. I’m sure if he could turn back time he would erase it from living memory as it was said at an emotional stage of the games’ evolution and it’s obvious he doesn’t feel that way now.

Still, it would have been courageous and commendable if he acknowledged it during his Immortals speech.
Why, do you remember everything you said twenty five years ago? Besides it's not awarded for comments made. Who cares.?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Wading through the shitposts and trolls(75% of which are mine), what do people think about Clyde, Daley, Stuart, Kenny,Sterling and Langer with respect to Immortal status?

Besides those mentioned already, for mine, that's probably the best group of players I've seen in my generation.
Canberra wouldn't have won their premierships without Meninga and Stuart - Stuart controlled games and Meninga's mere presence on the field inspired his team mates and put fear into the opposition. Brad Clyde (along with Chicka Ferguson) is my favourite all time raiders player. Daley was a champion at all levels. I think if they weren't in those Canberra sides we would still have won, not so Stuart and Meninga.What sways Mal to be an immortal over Stuart then, imo is that he was top drawer for the whole of his career, 4 kangaroo tours is testament to that, whilst Ricky seemed to fade post that horrific ankle injury which to his credit could have been career ending.

Langer at his best was awesome, but probably played on to long.

Sterling and Kenny should be immortals. That parramatta side of the 80s is severely under represented when hall of fame and immortal discussions are made.

Latest posts