What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 21 vs Broncos @ ANZ Stadium

Who will win? Round 21: Bulldogs v Broncos

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Brisbane Broncos 1-12

• Brisbane Broncos 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2018 - Round 21
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Brisbane Broncos
ANZ Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park (TICKETS)
Thursday 2 August 2018

Gates 6:30pm / NRL 7:50pm

TL-CBY18.png

1. William Hopoate 2. Brett Morris 3. Josh Morris 4. Kerrod Holland 5. Reimis Smith 6. Lachlan Lewis 7. Jeremy Marshall-King 8. Aiden Tolman 9. Michael Lichaa 10. Danny Fualalo 11. Josh Jackson 12. Rhyse Martin 13. Adam Elliot
Interchange: 14. Fa'amanu Brown 15. Greg Eastwood 16. Ofahiki Ogden 17. Chris Smith 19. Renouf To'omaga 20. Matt Frawley 21. Francis Tualau 23. John Olive

TL-BRI18.png

1. Jamayne Isaako 2. Corey Oates 3. James Roberts 4. Darius Boyd 5. Jordan Kahu 6. Anthony Milford 7. Kodi Nikorima 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Sam Thaiday 11. Alex Glenn 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Josh Mcguire
Interchange: 14. Kotoni Staggs 15. Joe Ofahengaue 16. Korbin Sims 17. David Fifita 18. Gehamat Shibasaki 19. Patrick Mago 20. Sam Tagataese 21. Troy Dargan

REF-YELLOW-1000px_1.jpg

Referees: Ben Cummins, Peter Gough
Sideline Officials: Nick Beashel, Belinda Sleeman
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Luke Patten

Feeder clubs
BULLDOGS (NSWRL)
FRI
Dragons v Bulldogs @ Jubilee Oval, Flegg 6:30pm
SAT
Dragons v Bulldogs @ WIN Stadium, ISP 12:45pm (FOX)

BRONCOS (QRL - Ipswich, Norths, Redcliffe, Souths Logan & Wynnum Manly)
SAT
Norths v Townsville (NQL) @ Bishop, ISC 1:10pm (CH 9 QLD)
Ipswich v Sunshine Coast (MEL) @ North Ipswich, Colts 1:20pm / ISC 3pm
Redcliffe v Mackay (NQL) @ Dolphin, Colts 2:30pm / ISC 6pm
SUN
Burleigh (GLD) v Wynnum Manly @ Pizzey, Colts 12:15pm / ISC 2pm
Souths Logan v PNG Hunters @ Davies, ISC 3pm
Norths & Souths Logan Colts BYE​

Last edited by a moderator:

Bench
Happy that your team got a win tonight. Sad to see any bulldog fans posting on this thread. Anyway congratulations

___

Juniors
Happy that your team got a win tonight. Sad to see any bulldog fans posting on this thread. Anyway congratulations
My interest in rugby league has taken a nose-dive since Dave Smith took over. No more punches, shoulder charges, fights... it's not rugby league, it's garbage. The Bulldogs doing shit this year alongside horrendous referee calls in the overall competition (not just towards my team) doesn't help either. Multiple rule changes/interpretations throughout the year... one new low after. The game I occasionally watch today is not the same game I frequently watched and loved growing up 30 years ago.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If punches, shoulder charges and fights are why you watch rugby league... jesus

___

Juniors
If punches, shoulder charges and fights are why you watch rugby league... jesus
No, they aren't, but punches are better than the niggling crap that goes on now. We're men, we like testosterone. It makes the game that much more exciting. Biff mate, guys blowing off steam. Look at SoO 95 and BoB - how awesome were those fights?

Shoulder charges, they were part of the game from it's inception. Why change big hits and things that we love? In fact some of the shoulder charges that are penalised these days make me shake me head in disbelief.

Timmah

Staff member
No, they aren't, but punches are better than the niggling crap that goes on now. We're men, we like testosterone. It makes the game that much more exciting. Biff mate, guys blowing off steam. Look at SoO 95 and BoB - how awesome were those fights?

Shoulder charges, they were part of the game from it's inception. Why change big hits and things that we love? In fact some of the shoulder charges that are penalised these days make me shake me head in disbelief.
Rugby league isn't about any of those things. It wasn't always, isn't now. It might have been in vogue during the time you grew up with the game, and yeah those can be entertaining at times, but we're no longer in a time for the game or society that thinks it should be the norm.

The game hasn't always been about celebrating brutality, it's as much about the athletic prowess, the individual skill, the team tactics, strategy... stuff like shoulder charges or punches might have been a sweetener for some but their presence is no longer necessary.

If that has you walking away I reckon you're in the minority.

___

Juniors
Rugby league isn't about any of those things. It wasn't always, isn't now. It might have been in vogue during the time you grew up with the game, and yeah those can be entertaining at times, but we're no longer in a time for the game or society that thinks it should be the norm.

The game hasn't always been about celebrating brutality, it's as much about the athletic prowess, the individual skill, the team tactics, strategy... stuff like shoulder charges or punches might have been a sweetener for some but their presence is no longer necessary.

If that has you walking away I reckon you're in the minority.
I'm not walking away but Rugby League is also meant to be a business... and it's not getting my business by being the sport it is nowadays. Other things I can't stand are 2 referees, the bunker, 6pm Friday games, Thursday games (which are no better than MNF), the countless number of mid-season transfer... the list goes on.

Timmah

Staff member
If you just regurgitate the same tripe the crisis merchant journos love, sure. That's all I see there. The stuff dickheads like Buzz and Crawley whinge about ad nauseum. It's painful and mostly untrue.

"I'm not walking away but it's not getting my business" makes no sense.

Rugby league isn't perfect. Never has been and never will be. But it's going alright. Even if the Dogs are having a shocker lately.

___

Juniors
If you just regurgitate the same tripe the crisis merchant journos love, sure. That's all I see there. The stuff dickheads like Buzz and Crawley whinge about ad nauseum. It's painful and mostly untrue.

"I'm not walking away but it's not getting my business" makes no sense.

Rugby league isn't perfect. Never has been and never will be. But it's going alright. Even if the Dogs are having a shocker lately.
Not about the dogs, we've had bad seasons before and I've still loved the game... but if I was a kid growing up today, watching the game these days would not reel me in. Golden Point... even that is something I cannot fathom. There's also the lack of expansion. The NRL is in it's 2nd billion dollar contract. Why the hell are we still sitting with 16 teams when they were able to expand with the previous contract which was pre-billion?

I'm not making my decisions based on what journo's say, I'm making my decision based on what I like and what I grew to love - if they journo's think the same then that's their thought, but no one makes my mind up for me.

One thing I admire about AFL... despite the fact that they do change their rules, they don't do it to the same tune as the NRL does, and they ensure their game remains mostly the same. While you may think the NRL does the same, this is not the case. Watch 2 games side-by-side 80s or 90s vs today... it's a completely different game.

Timmah

Staff member
Not about the dogs, we've had bad seasons before and I've still loved the game... but if I was a kid growing up today, watching the game these days would not reel me in. Golden Point... even that is something I cannot fathom. There's also the lack of expansion. The NRL is in it's 2nd billion dollar contract. Why the hell are we still sitting with 16 teams when they were able to expand with the previous contract which was pre-billion?

I'm not making my decisions based on what journo's say, I'm making my decision based on what I like and what I grew to love - if they journo's think the same then that's their thought, but no one makes my mind up for me.

One thing I admire about AFL... despite the fact that they do change their rules, they don't do it to the same tune as the NRL does, and they ensure their game remains mostly the same. While you may think the NRL does the same, this is not the case. Watch 2 games side-by-side 80s or 90s vs today... it's a completely different game.
You might not be "basing your decisions" on what journos say but your opinions correlate with the influence they seem to bear in this current era. Anyway I'll throw in my 2 bob on what you've put forward
  • Golden point is just a variation of extra time which has been around since the 80s
  • Expansion - I think the NRL is actually being smart here. AFL jumped too early and diluted the talent pool in the competition, and 6-7 years later they still haven't recovered. There are teams like Brisbane, Gold Coast and Carlton who simply don't compete and haven't for years.
  • As someone who follows the AFL and has become more invested in recent years, I've gotta say you're well off the mark. The same basic sentiment comes through from the same kind of corners, the rules are tinkered with almost yearly (and they're even trialling more as we type) and the game is absolutely different to what it was in the 80s or 90s
I think to expect a sport to not change rapidly over the course of a few decades is a fairly naive viewpoint. If that means you walk away from it then that's fine, your prerogative, but I'm not sure its realistic to think that the game - any game - would not evolve and change from what it was 20, 30 or even 50 years ago.

None of the above is meant as an attack btw, hoping its taken in the spirit of discussion as intended

Latest posts