What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Qualifiers

yakstorm

First Grade
Details of the Americas Qualifiers have started to emerge. Games to be played in Jacksonville.

13th November - USA v Chile
TBC - Canada v Jamaica

17th November - Winner of both matches

yakstorm

First Grade
I know the winner of the games go through to the world cup, but who goes through to the Asia/pacific play off?

Runners up will supposedly host the Cook Islands and South Africa.

I say supposedly, as I'm sure the RLIF / RLWC will let the US or Canada host, but I wonder if they'd underwrite Jamaica or Chile.

paulmac

Juniors
Details of the Americas Qualifiers have started to emerge. Games to be played in Jacksonville.

13th November - USA v Chile
TBC - Canada v Jamaica

17th November - Winner of both matches
3rd World Cup cycle in a row where the US get a leg up. Not only have they they hosted every tournament, in the previous 2 editions they have had the benefit of a weeks rest between games as opposed to the 3/4 day turn around Canada/Jamaica/SA got. This time they get the soft draw of newcomers Chile. Surely a round robin is the correct way to determine the Americas qualifier

latingringo101

Juniors
3rd World Cup cycle in a row where the US get a leg up. Not only have they they hosted every tournament, in the previous 2 editions they have had the benefit of a weeks rest between games as opposed to the 3/4 day turn around Canada/Jamaica/SA got. This time they get the soft draw of newcomers Chile. Surely a round robin is the correct way to determine the Americas qualifier
I guess it comes down to logistics and finances. I remember hearing Spinner talk about the 2015 RLWC qualifiers and he said that the reason they are played in a short amount of time is pretty much the costs of holding the qualifiers.

I assume it'll be in Florida which is pretty much central for all nations (relatively speaking) and easier if played over a week.

yakstorm

First Grade
A short tournament in a central location works if you want to allow each nation to name their strongest teams, especially if they have players flying in from the UK or Australia, or if the tournament has time constraints, and for some regions in makes sense to run the qualifiers like that, but I'd argue for the Americas it is almost counter-productive.

The short term nature of the tournament means it is actually easier for a nation like Jamaica or Chile to just bring across a majority heritage team versus if they had kept the Americas Cup style they had been playing the last few years the squads would have remained predominantly local players.

Anyway, regardless of who qualifies, all four nations have more than enough runs on the board domestically to justify their inclusion.

paulmac

Juniors
I guess it comes down to logistics and finances. I remember hearing Spinner talk about the 2015 RLWC qualifiers and he said that the reason they are played in a short amount of time is pretty much the costs of holding the qualifiers.

I assume it'll be in Florida which is pretty much central for all nations (relatively speaking) and easier if played over a week.
Surely 3 games in a week is doable?

Reactions: siv

Jamaica

Juniors
USA are clear favourites, they are almost impossible to beat at home and have quality players to draw on from UK and Aus leagues. Chile is the unknown factor, not sure what the make up of their team will be like. Canada has some quality players to draw on too including their half that plays for Melbourne Storm. Jamaica will try hard as always to achieve our dream of a Cup berth.

Springs09

Juniors
So Norway will need to beat Germany by 15 points or more to get through to the play-off. Czech are out either way.

thorson1987

Coach
From the RLEF Facebook page.

41822527_1080809255413665_2175244942211809280_n.jpg

adamkungl

Immortal
I did indeed go to the Norway game

They simply outclassed the German side. Better defence, less mistakes and more flair with the ball.

The quality of the match was surprisingly good. Obviously it's difficult to see any team at Euro C level competing with the professional nations but it looked to be a level comparable with local Sydney A grade comps.

The crowd was probably about 200 odd, friends and family and a few curious onlookers.

The most surprising thing was the appearance of former Wallaby Nick Cummins the Honey Badger in a Norge Rugby League training shirt. Seemed to be there to support someone I'm guessing was his brother, the Norwegian #6 Nathan Cummins

I did indeed go to the Norway game

They simply outclassed the German side. Better defence, less mistakes and more flair with the ball.

The quality of the match was surprisingly good. Obviously it's difficult to see any team at Euro C level competing with the professional nations but it looked to be a level comparable with local Sydney A grade comps.

The crowd was probably about 200 odd, friends and family and a few curious onlookers.

The most surprising thing was the appearance of former Wallaby Nick Cummins the Honey Badger in a Norge Rugby League training shirt. Seemed to be there to support someone I'm guessing was his brother, the Norwegian #6 Nathan Cummins
Must have doing a episode of the bachelorette

London star Eloi Pelissier and Newcastle playmaker Remy Marginet have been named in Spain’s squad for the 2021 World Cup qualifiers.

Russia, Serbia and Spain have named their initial, extended squads for October’s European Championship B, which doubles as a qualifier for the 2021 Rugby League World Cup in England.

The top two nations will join Italy, the winners of Euro C and the bottom two nations from the European Championship in a final qualifying tournament in a year’s time.

Spain host the opening game against the Russians in Valencia, with Russia making their bow a week later.

Palau Bronco’s Alexandre Doutres, who has been part of the Spanish national team for three years, commented: “Rugby league is pretty undeveloped in Spain and it has only been a short road so far, but the implication of these games for the volunteers, leaders, players, and staff is huge.

“You will find few more passionate than them and it is thanks to their efforts that rugby league is gradually gaining in popularity in Spain; aside from the national team, the level of the domestic players is going from strength to strength.

“The October matches are very important for us in light of the RLWC qualifying. It is essential for the development of our sport here that the national team shines – something that can be achieved through qualifying for a World Cup.”

Included in the Spanish squad are two French internationals with heritage, hooker Pelissier, currently with London Broncos, and Newcastle Thunder half-back Marginet.

The Russian squad is made up of players from ten domestic sides, four of them from the Moscow.

Dynamo’s Eremin Viacheslav, who has recovered from a knee operation after last year’s finals, said: “I was very surprised by the call from head coach Denis Korolev and when I heard that I was a candidate for the Russian national team, I was very happy.

“It’s a great honour. At a time when I sing the anthem, I feel that I am an integral part of such a great power. I will look to defend its honour at the world level and cannot fall with my face into the mud.”

Serbian captain Dalibor Vukanović is anticipating a test of the progress of his country.

He said: “It’s always exciting when we’re starting a new qualification cycle.

“We have a good and experienced team, with also very talented additions from our youth side that did well in the European Under-19 championships in Belgrade.

“Our reputation probably makes us favourites but we highly respect Russia and Spain, so we need to put in hard work to progress further in World Cup Qualifications.”

Spain squad: Anthony Delgado (Carcassone), Antonio Puerta, Juan Mudarra, Rafael Garcia, Clement Laguerre (Custodians RL) Chris Lopez, Joss Santos (Eastmoor Dragons), Joel Laynez (Hull FC, Skirlaugh), Mathiou Griffi, Pierre Negre, Benjamin Tort, Nicolas Muñoz (Lezignan), Leandre Torres, Luc Franco, Ludovic Renu, Allan Torreilles (Limoux), Eloi Pelissier (London Broncos), Jonathan Infante (Ontinyent) Francisco Luis Perez (Mineros Peñarroya – Pueblonuevo), Remy Marginet (Newcastle Thunder), Daniel Garcia, Alex Doutres, Jordan Boudebza (Palau), Miguel Blanco-Charters (Seaton Rangers), Arnaud Barthes (St Esteve), Matias Hubert-Garcia (Stade Nantes XIII), Daniel Morales, Ruben Romero, Hadriel Mehamed, Aitor Romero, Sigfrido Ribes, Raul Simo, Miquel Tomas, Jose Manuel Santos, Vicente Cubes, Aitor Davila, Carlos Jane (Torrent Tigres), Yoan Tisserye, Romain Palleres (Toulouse Olympic), Fernando Vidal, Adriá Alonso, Carlos Font, Eric Bernabeu (Xativa Roosters) Andrew Pilkington, Miguel Olivares, Salvador Fajardo, Ruben Olivares, Erik Infante, Gonzalo Morro, Ivan Ordaz, Yeray Arbelo, Kyle Richardson (Valencian Warriors), Kevin Aparicio, Remy Bueno (Unattached).

Russia squad: Zagoskin Nikolai, Petrushka Iustin, Bozhko Kirill, Muntian Sergei, Kosharin Kirill, Botnarash Petr, Troitskii Ivan, Abramov Igor, Lesnikov Vladislav, Tiulenev Denis, Leskov Dmitrii, Lysokon Alexandr, Naumov Alexandr, Bratko Dmitrii (CSKA Moscow), Eremin Viacheslav, Ariutkin Viktor, Kuznetsov Andrey, Danilov Ilia, Mrachkovskii Pavel, Chupin Denis (Dynamo Moscow), Chuprin Igor (Olimp Moscow), Voloskov Boris (MIFI), Konstantinov Sergei (Nara Moscow region), Zhigan Sergei (Narvskay Zastava St. Peterburg), Kuklin Anton (Nevskay Zastava St. Peterburg), Orlov Evgenii (Sparta Kostroma), Lavrushin Andrei, Perin Andrei, Kuznetsov Nikita, Tarasenkov Dmitrii, Leonov Aleksei, Shustov Egor (Spartak Moscow), Kazantsev Ivan, Gusev Vsevolod (Vityaz Perm),

Serbia squad: Danilo Delic, Nebojsa Zivanovic, Zoran Pesic (Carpentras, France), Daniel Burke (Collegians, Australia), Jason Muranka (Doncaster, UK), Aleksa Radic, Andrej Mora, Dalibor Vukanovic, Milan Avramovic, Milos Aleksic, Nikola Pesterac, Radovan Stanic, Sergej Devetak, Stefan Djordjevic, Stefan Vukanovic, Stevan Stevanovic, Veljko Stalevic, Vlada Stanic, Vuk Miladinovic (Dorcol, Serbia), Brandon Janjic (Hills Bulls, Australia), Djordje Stosic, Filip Stosic (Falcon VR, Serbia), Daniel Marjanovic (Kawana Dolphins, Australia), Jordan Grant (Mackay Cutters, Australia), Aleksandar Pavlovic (Morava’s Cheetahs, Serbia), lija Radan (Narrabeen sharks, Australia),Dario Abidinovic, Denis Bajrami, Dragan Jankovic, Dzavid Jasari, Mihajlo Stojiljkovic, Milan Ilic, Nikola Srbljanin, Pero Madzarevic, Petar Kovac, Ronaldo Bitici, Toplica Ristic, Vladimir Milutinovic, Vlado Kusic (Partisan, Serbia), Zane Bijorac (Queanbeyan Blues, Australia), Aleksandar Ilic, Dusan Kocic, Lazar Zivkovic, Marko Milenkovic, Mihajlo Jovic, Velibor Ristic (Radnicki Nis, Serbia), Atanas Trimceski, Darko Stosic, Djordje Gak, Ilija Tintor, Marko Jakovljevic, Vuk Tomic (Radnicki NBG, Serbia), Aleksandar Djordjevic, Danilo Kosanovic, Ilija Krstic, Milos Calic, Milos Zogovic, Nikola Djuric, Petar Milanovic, Predrag Keglic, Rajko Trifunovic, Slobodan Milenkovic, Stefan Nedeljkovic, Stefan Nikolic, Vladislav Dedic, Vojislav Dedic, Vuk Strbac (Red Star, Serbia), David Andjelic (St Patricks Blacktown, Australia), Veljko Stankovic (Tzar Dushan Mighty, Serbia), Vladica Nikolic (Villeneuve XIII Leopards, France), Jonathan Kress (Wentworthville Magpies, Australia), James Mirceski (Western Suburbs Magpies, Australia)

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...fiers-russia-and-serbia-also-announce-squads/

Details have been confirmed for the 2018 Americas Championship, that will act as a qualifier for the 2021 Rugby League World Cup.

The University of North Florida, Jacksonville, will host two double-header rounds on 13thand 17th November 2018 to determine which one of the four nations will qualify automatically, and which other has the opportunity to progress through a repechage in 2019.

In the opening games, Canada will face Jamaica and USA take on newcomers Chile, the first South American representatives.

The winners will face each other for the right to qualify or gain a second chance, whilst the losers will also meet in a rankings Test match.

Much of the attention will focus on the appearance of the Chileans, who gained Affiliate status of the Rugby League International Federation earlier this year and where the sport is starting to make rapid strides.

“It has not been an easy path,” said Chile Rugby League president Guillermo Artiaga. “We do not yet receive rugby league on television here, so it has been true fanaticism by players educating themselves on the finer points of the game.

Artiaga continued: “I have had the greatest faith in this project but even I am surprised at how rapidly the sport has spread, particularly in the last two years. We now have two men’s leagues and a women’s league, an entrenchment with many schools and councils and it is 2,000km between our northernmost club and our southernmost.

“We feel solidarity with our surrounding nations in Latin America. Had they not flourished simultaneously, it would not have been possible for us to have the necessary competition to reach this point,” he added. “If we perform strongly at these World Cup qualifiers it will thrust the spotlight on the potential and appetite from this region, not just within Chile.”

RLIF CEO Nigel Wood commented: “This a significant moment for international rugby league with the inclusion of a new continent, South America, in the World Cup qualifiers for the first time. This is the largest Americas qualification competition in history, both in terms of teams and matches.

“The work being done on the ground there is hugely encouraging. The week after the matches in Florida, Brazil, Argentina and Colombia’s men will meet in Sao Paulo, and the first women’s international will also be played there between Brazil and Argentina,” Wood confirmed. “The demand for the sport globally has never been higher.”

The USA has twice hosted qualifiers, winning both to advance to the Rugby League World Cup in 2013 and again in 2017. In 2011, they defeated Jamaica and South Africa in Philadelphia, and in 2015 beat Canada and Jamaica in Jacksonville.

USA Hawks head coach Sean Rutgerson noted: “We have a great record here and this is where we qualified last time. UNF have great facilities and the city of Jacksonville responded enthusiastically to being named the host city.”

https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/1622/details-announced-for-americas-world-cup-qualifiers

Latest posts