What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Immortals

callmack1

Staff member
An extremely historic night is about to get underway with the induction of the ninth immortal. A very historic night indeed, looking forward to it.

Immortals shortlist - 10 legends in line for ultimate honour: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/20...ealed-10-legends-in-line-for-ultimate-honour/

I think it should be Dally Messenger or Norm Provan, two figures of our game that have already been immortalised with the Dally M Medal and the Provan Summons Trophy.

callmack1

Staff member
Wow, five new immortals tonight, that's friggin awesome!

Congrats to Dally Messenger, Frank Burge, Dave Brown, Norm Provan and Mal Meninga.

A historic night...

ThingFish

Juniors
Wow, five new immortals tonight, that's friggin awesome!

Congrats to Dally Messenger, Frank Burge, Dave Brown, Norm Provan and Mal Meninga.

A historic night...
I think 5 new immortals is ridiculous. The Immortal tag should be for the absolute elite, once you start getting 13 plus it just becomes another hall of fame. Sure they are all great players but that’s what the HOF is for.

ouryears

Bench
I think 5 new immortals is ridiculous. The Immortal tag should be for the absolute elite, once you start getting 13 plus it just becomes another hall of fame. Sure they are all great players but that’s what the HOF is for.
It’s not that many as it’s since 1908, 110 years.
The only one I don’t like is Meninga, he said during the super league war.....What has the game ever given me?!
Maybe I am being too harsh.....but geeze

Last edited:

ThingFish

Juniors
It’s not that many as it’s since 1908, 110 years.
The only one I don’t like it meanings, he once said during the super league wars.....What has the game ever given me
Maybe I am being too harsh.....but geeze
Again that’s what the Hall of Fame is for. Celebrating the greats from 110 years of footy. The immortals is celebrating the elite players amongst those greats. I reckon max of 1 per decade. The next immortal really should not be inducted until about 2025-8.

ouryears

Bench
Again that’s what the Hall of Fame is for. Celebrating the greats from 110 years of footy. The immortals is celebrating the elite players amongst those greats. I reckon max of 1 per decade. The next immortal really should not be inducted until about 2025-8.
I agree one every decade.

I think they had to cover off the last 110 years as they have now.

But yes, one each 10 yrs from now on is about right.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
The three pre-war are fair enough, as is Provan imo.

Mal Meninga feels a bit cheap. It's the players that miss out that is what makes immortal status so special.

Of the current crop of players, only Cam Smith is immortal worthy in my mind. Again, not a knock on guys like Slater, JT and GI but when you think of the greatest player of the modern era, Smith is as unanimous as it can get. Under the current format though, the other three will be walk ins.

Becoming an immortal should be because a player is at the level of those already named, not because they're the best of those who aren't.

ThingFish

Juniors
I agree one every decade.

I think they had to cover off the last 110 years as they have now.

But yes, one each 10 yrs from now on is about right.
I am glad Proven got the recognition he deserves though. He should have been in the original class and it was a disgrace Johns got the nod before him.

ThingFish

Juniors
The three pre-war are fair enough, as is Provan imo.

Mal Meninga feels a bit cheap. It's the players that miss out that is what makes immortal status so special.

Of the current crop of players, only Cam Smith is immortal worthy in my mind. Again, not a knock on guys like Slater, JT and GI but when you think of the greatest player of the modern era, Smith is as unanimous as it can get. Under the current format though, the other three will be walk ins.

Becoming an immortal should be because a player is at the level of those already named, not because they're the best of those who aren't.
Agree 100%. Perfect example of 4 elite players all HOF bound, but 1 is the elite of the elite, an immortal.

callmack1

Staff member
I think that apart from Meninga, they absoulutely nailed it last night. That's not a knock on Meninga at all, he was destined to be an immortal someday anyway but I just feel they should have left it at four.

It was so fitting though to name those three pre-war legends as well as Provan.

Travitoh

First Grade
Wayne Bennett admitted in an interview yesterday that he weighted his preferences towards guys that were up for their third and final nomination.
Meninga was one of those players.

In my mind, a player worthy of being inducted as an immortal shouldn't need three nominations.

callmack1

Staff member
Meninga certainly deserves it imo, what he's done on and off the field as both player and coach is absoulutely incredible.

I'm just so happy they inducted the three pre-war legends. It was possibly the last opportunity to do so considering some of the guys that'll be in contention the next time around. Awesome move NRL.

I get what some people are saying that five is a lot but those three pre-war guys had to be there now as it may be the last opportunity like I said.

Messenger, Brown, Burge, Provan, Meninga announced as Immortals: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/01/dally-messenger-dave-brown-frank-burge-announced-as-immortals/

Naming five new Immortals honours past, looks after future: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/01/naming-five-new-immortals-honours-the-past-looks-after-future/

Curns13

Juniors
I read somewhere the other day that there have been something like 9000 players play NSWRL/NRL and only 13 Immortals. That is 0.14% or 1 Immortal for every 700 players. If that isn’t an elite club, I don’t know what is.

Latest posts