What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Lane only signed his contract end of last week, no way was his name going to be announced before that.

Guess it's old news in a sense now, or maybe they are waiting for another signing to make a bigger splash. Who knows?
We are re-signing Salmon?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Looks like rats out of a sinking shop at the moment. Rumours have Norman and French leaving. There is no one decent on the market at the moment.

We could be back to the bottom of the table for the next few years...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Looks like rats out of a sinking shop at the moment. Rumours have Norman and French leaving. There is no one decent on the market at the moment.

We could be back to the bottom of the table for the next few years...
Our squad has underachieved this year and by definition that means lack of talent isn't the problem. Shit attitudes are the problem, and as soon as they're gone we can expect a happy, unified team.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Our squad has underachieved this year and by definition that means lack of talent isn't the problem. Shit attitudes are the problem, and as soon as they're gone we can expect a happy, unified team.
You could also argue we overachieved last year. That being the case, if we’re realistically a mid-table/fringe finals team then talent has to play some part. We should be aiming to be a definite top 4 team so I think a mix of improving the roster and attitude within the squad will get us there.

You have to find a balance and if you can remove a poor attitude and not lose too much talent wise then you do it. However, if the removal of the poor attitude (only off the field) leaves a gaping hole in talent within the roster then it is a net loss. We’re better of persisting with the shit attitude for one more year until we find an option that is a net gain.

Removing French would be a good example of a net gain. It appears on the surface that he doesn’t have a very good attitude and we don’t lose much by removing him from the squad. Norman on the other hand, leaves us a decent spine option short.

Gronk

Staff member
You could also argue we overachieved last year. That being the case, if we’re realistically a mid-table/fringe finals team then talent has to play some part. We should be aiming to be a definite top 4 team so I think a mix of improving the roster and attitude within the squad will get us there.

You have to find a balance and if you can remove a poor attitude and not lose too much talent wise then you do it. However, if the removal of the poor attitude (only off the field) leaves a gaping hole in talent within the roster then it is a net loss. We’re better of persisting with the shit attitude for one more year until we find an option that is a net gain.

Removing French would be a good example of a net gain. It appears on the surface that he doesn’t have a very good attitude and we don’t lose much by removing him from the squad. Norman on the other hand, leaves us a decent spine option short.

There is a fine line between over and underachieving. We have lost 7 games this year when we scored equal number of tries. As BA said, last year we win those. This year we don’t have those 1% plays to make it happen.

Norman said the same in the Sky interview on Friday. We could have won a dozen more games but for a drop ball or giving away a penalty at a crucial moment.

You may well be right with Bev and other players who are not 100% Gutho hungry. If we have 13 on the field who are all like Gutho Brown Peni hungry then I reckon we jag those wins.

Sometimes it comes down to a kick chase or a hard run like Brown that determines the flow of the game.

Happy MEel

First Grade
There is a fine line between over and underachieving. We have lost 7 games this year when we scored equal number of tries. As BA said, last year we win those. This year we don’t have those 1% plays to make it happen.

Norman said the same in the Sky interview on Friday. We could have won a dozen more games but for a drop ball or giving away a penalty at a crucial moment.

You may well be right with Bev and other players who are not 100% Gutho hungry. If we have 13 on the field who are all like Gutho Brown Peni hungry then I reckon we jag those wins.

Sometimes it comes down to a kick chase or a hard run like Brown that determines the flow of the game.
Spot on. I was just making the point that it wasn’t as simplistic as what Pou was saying. I’ll also add that it still seems like Norman is popular amongst the playing group, so I don’t think his departure would create this idealistic “happy and unified” team. I think he’s actually having a real go after being told he’s not really wanted. That shows a fair bit of maturity and leadership in itself. He could simply tell the coach to get f**ked and that he’s staying until his contract is up, and not give a shit on the field. It certainly doesn’t seem like that’s the case.

Gronk

Staff member
Spot on. I was just making the point that it wasn’t as simplistic as what Pou was saying. I’ll also add that it still seems like Norman is popular amongst the playing group, so I don’t think his departure would create this idealistic “happy and unified” team. I think he’s actually having a real go after being told he’s not really wanted. That shows a fair bit of maturity and leadership in itself. He could simply tell the coach to get f**ked and that he’s staying until his contract is up, and not give a shit on the field. It certainly doesn’t seem like that’s the case.

Yeah I reckon that most of us will not be spewing that he stays in 2019. He’s going to be off contract which will probably change his mental approach, just like the events of this week have.

strider

Post Whore
I actually dont believe Norman has been told to piss off in 2019 ... there was a quote from Norman that BAtold him "do whats best for corey" .... this makes me believe he is being told he is not likely to get renewed for 2020 and BA knows there is no point having a digruntled and distracted player, so he is ok with him to find something else if he can

I reckon we obviously see Brown being ready in about 12 months .... i also dont see a specific choice being made between norman and moses ... i reckon the reports about moses going to brisbane might suggest BA isnt prepared to commit to either of our halves after their current contracts, its just that the media are running heavily with the Norman getting the ass spin

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yeah I reckon that most of us will not be spewing that he stays in 2019. He’s going to be off contract which will probably change his mental approach, just like the events of this week have.
I actually think we’re a decent chance of playing finals footy as it currently stands with the additions of Junior, Fergo and Lane. However, if we release Norman and don’t replace him with someone of equal ability I can’t see us making it. Missing the finals 2 years in a row makes it much harder to recruit notable halves without paying a fortune.

If we can show that we’re a club on the improve with a decent roster that is getting stronger, we may just get lucky and land a Munster.

Gronk

Staff member
I actually dont believe Norman has been told to piss off in 2019 ... there was a quote from Norman that BAtold him "do whats best for corey" .... this makes me believe he is being told he is not likely to get renewed for 2020 and BA knows there is no point having a digruntled and distracted player, so he is ok with him to find something else if he can

I reckon we obviously see Brown being ready in about 12 months .... i also dont see a specific choice being made between norman and moses ... i reckon the reports about moses going to brisbane might suggest BA isnt prepared to commit to either of our halves after their current contracts, its just that the media are running heavily with the Norman getting the ass spin

Don’t both Norman and Moses go on the market in November? BA may be forced to make a call early. If Brisbane are serious, they may make a play for Moses for 2020 in November. Tough choice if it happens.

Latest posts