What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 coach

Doomednow

Bench
I just want someone who can work with the players we have and not be too rigid in their idea of what good football looks like. We've had coaches try to prevent offloads, grubbers, etc from players and in the end it's limited us. Look at the resources we have and figure out how best to use them rather than forcing them into a particular style. Coach to the players' strengths rather than the coach's preconceived notion of what good football looks like. Although tighten up defence too. I'm not sure any of the big name options can do that. Happy to give Ciraldo a crack.

OldPanther

Coach
I just want someone who can work with the players we have and not be too rigid in their idea of what good football looks like. We've had coaches try to prevent offloads, grubbers, etc from players and in the end it's limited us. Look at the resources we have and figure out how best to use them rather than forcing them into a particular style. Coach to the players' strengths rather than the coach's preconceived notion of what good football looks like. Although tighten up defence too. I'm not sure any of the big name options can do that. Happy to give Ciraldo a crack.

This.

Abacus

Juniors
Morning everybody! Its a fresh new day with undoubtedly plenty of Panthers news, views and clusterf**ks (seems to be the consensus here).

I have just 1 request. @Kilkenny & @billypilgrimnz - can at least 1 of you be the bigger person so as not to subject the rest of us to pages of your shit-slinging. PLEASE???

OldPanther

Coach
Morning everybody! Its a fresh new day with undoubtedly plenty of Panthers news, views and clusterf**ks (seems to be the consensus here).

I have just 1 request. @Kilkenny & @billypilgrimnz - can at least 1 of you be the bigger person so as not to subject the rest of us to pages of your shit-slinging. PLEASE???

Cluaterf**k is a good word haha. It's at the point I'm struggling to see which way is up.

Panfa

Juniors
When gus first came back to help the club out i was all for it the club was in a massive debt we were missing the finals had terrible coaches bad support staff and had lost a heap of players.he did some very good things clearing the debt got a better coach helped build the centre of excellence and had a 5yr plan to bring us back to the top.however after watching the griffin interview last night i feel sorry for arguably one of the best coaches this club has ever had being shown the dr 4 weeks out from the semis.why would gus resign griffin if he and griffin were not getting along from the start of the yr to now backflip pay him out and sack him 4 weeks out from the finals then try and lure ivan who had a terrible coaching record with us to keep nathan and pay a record fee for both im sorry guys but gus has lost me and he needs to go before we end up back how we were before he took over

Abacus

Juniors
Gus:
"I don’t expect Ivan at the Panthers in 2019 because he has a contract at the Wests Tigers."
"I’ve got no plan in place at the moment to replace Anthony Griffin. Even though I’ve contemplated it over the last 12 months, I didn’t really have a viable option available to us."

Ok, assuming no Ivan in 2019, and no plan/viable replacement, where to now?

We may just see a considered process?

Abacus

Juniors
When gus first came back to help the club out i was all for it the club was in a massive debt we were missing the finals had terrible coaches bad support staff and had lost a heap of players.he did some very good things clearing the debt got a better coach helped build the centre of excellence and had a 5yr plan to bring us back to the top.however after watching the griffin interview last night i feel sorry for arguably one of the best coaches this club has ever had being shown the dr 4 weeks out from the semis.why would gus resign griffin if he and griffin were not getting along from the start of the yr to now backflip pay him out and sack him 4 weeks out from the finals then try and lure ivan who had a terrible coaching record with us to keep nathan and pay a record fee for both im sorry guys but gus has lost me and he needs to go before we end up back how we were before he took over
Different version of events: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...-gould-cools-cleary-talk-20180808-p4zwb1.html

I interpret it as Gus told Hook who got the shits (quite rightly) and left immediately as he didn't have the support of the board.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gus:
"I don’t expect Ivan at the Panthers in 2019 because he has a contract at the Wests Tigers."
"I’ve got no plan in place at the moment to replace Anthony Griffin. Even though I’ve contemplated it over the last 12 months, I didn’t really have a viable option available to us."

We want to find to coach to fit our squad best. It is clear Gus and hook weren't on that same page. In 2 years with have the same issues or we Interview properly and get it done right

OldPanther

Coach
Gus:

I think Gus trusts Ciraldo and the staff to get the job done while he works out the next coach or Ciraldo does a good enough job to get the position long term.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I agree.

I would appreciate you take on the Gus podcast and Anthony Griffin appearance on NRL 360.

I am aware you have you doubts about Gus while I am a long time supporter and believe his leaving (sacking) will be detrimental to our club in the long term.

As I suggested a few pages back, having listened to the podcast I think if what Gus said is in anyway true then his position as General Manager is now untenable? I suspect he will not be our GM in 2019?

We both agree that Anthony Griffin had to go, so to speak, but my view is he conducted himself with extraordinary dignity on NRL 360?

Your views on these points would be appreciated, given I value your opinions.

Regarding the podcast, I truly believe Gus when he says he isn't the one who wants Cleary back.

I have not agreed with Gus on everything. Some really bizarre appointments with Corey Payne being the strangest.

Also, whilst I am not the biggest Hook fan I agreed when he wanted Josh McGuire but Gus wanted James Tamou. McGuire has gone on to be a regular in the QLD and Australian sides whilst Tamou has struggled to maintain a starting spot at Penrith.

I actually think Dave O'Neill's role is the one that needs to be put under the spotlight. I have no dramas with him talking about personal things like family and real estate with Cleary but he never should've brought up coaching at Penrith without consulting the Board first.

Griffin handled himself well last night. There were a couple of points I disagree with. The main being taking a lot of credit for the Junior Development.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Regarding the podcast, I truly believe Gus when he says he isn't the one who wants Cleary back.

I have not agreed with Gus on everything. Some really bizarre appointments with Corey Payne being the strangest.

Also, whilst I am not the biggest Hook fan I agreed when he wanted Josh McGuire but Gus wanted James Tamou. McGuire has gone on to be a regular in the QLD and Australian sides whilst Tamou has struggled to maintain a starting spot at Penrith.

I actually think Dave O'Neill's role is the one that needs to be put under the spotlight. I have no dramas with him talking about personal things like family and real estate Cleary but he never should've brought up coaching at Penrith without consulting the Board first.

Griffin handled himself well last night. There were a couple of points I disagree with. The main being taking a lot of credit for the Junior Development.

I think the Junior Development would of been the same without Griffin. We may not of had as many debut for us. I think that was a poor choice of words from him

Port Panther

Juniors
This is the outcome i prefer :
interview of all applicants including Ciraldo
Nathan to wake up to the fact this club is the best fit for him
Gus actually picks a coach with a long term future that coaches attractive style of play.
Surely thats not much too ask for ?

Frankus

Juniors

I actually think Dave O'Neill's role is the one that needs to be put under the spotlight. I have no dramas with him talking about personal things like family and real estate with Cleary but he never should've brought up coaching at Penrith without consulting the Board first.

Daz, even in the interview (with Gus on Tuesday morning) it was clear he was just regurgitating the company line - "we" have a preferred coach in mind. When asked how confident Penrith are of landing that coach - he straight away said he's not be involved in those discussions.

He was clearly uncomfortable and lying alot throughout that interview - i.e. he has a completely different opinion to what he has been told to say by the BoD.