What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 coach

TeamSatan

Juniors
When gus first came back to help the club out i was all for it the club was in a massive debt we were missing the finals had terrible coaches bad support staff and had lost a heap of players.he did some very good things clearing the debt got a better coach helped build the centre of excellence and had a 5yr plan to bring us back to the top.however after watching the griffin interview last night i feel sorry for arguably one of the best coaches this club has ever had being shown the dr 4 weeks out from the semis.why would gus resign griffin if he and griffin were not getting along from the start of the yr to now backflip pay him out and sack him 4 weeks out from the finals then try and lure ivan who had a terrible coaching record with us to keep nathan and pay a record fee for both im sorry guys but gus has lost me and he needs to go before we end up back how we were before he took over
Bombs on the fifth tackle every set does not a game plan make.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
This I believe is a smart move. Panthers are basically tying W/T in knots over this wanting them to terminate Cleary's contract. Panthers I'm sure don't want to hand over any players of worth either.

W/T will now be in a position where there cooach is basically seat warming. Not making great strides in the development of the club.

W/T are in a dreadful position (as I see it) over this.

snickers007

Juniors
Imagine negotiating players out of the joint to bring in Ivan Cleary. FMD.

From our current Top 30, there are 13 players off contract this year or next. You would think it would be easiest (for Penrith) to move on some of these players. And realistically, we're probably gonna lose some of them anyway.

2018:
Phillips
Waddell

2019:
Katoa
Egan
Luai
Cleary
Cartwright
Blake
Fisher-Harris
Leota
McKendry
Yeo
Kikau

From that list though, we have our top 2 halfbacks, top 2 hookers, our entire starting back row, and our most dangerous outside back.

And based on their ages, and the state of their careers when they signed/resigned/hit first grade, none of them are on overs - and all of them are due for an upgrade.

If we are negotiating players to the Tigers in exchange for Cleary to coach, they aren't going to want rookies or reserve graders. And that makes me extremely nervous. If Gus can get rid of Merrin and/or Tamou it would be well worth it IMO - but I can't see that happening.

Who knows, maybe we're not even going down this route... Fingers crossed.
If we were to lose Fisher-Harris, Yeo, Kikau or Blake I'm not sure I'd cope.

Blues Riff

Bench
Two things:
1. I don't give a crap about the Cleary's "enhancing" their careers; I want the club as a whole to do well.
2. Why does Nathan need his father holding his hand to develop his game? That premise doesn't make sense and makes Nathan seem a little high maintenance.
1. Agree.
2. To me it seems like it's more a case of Ivan being protective. I think all this was brought on by the fact that Nathan wants to remain a Panther.

EDIT...(not at you Billy) Where the hell has all this talk of losing players come from? Tigers can f**k right off.

TimmyB

Juniors
If we dig in you are also in an a pretty unenviable position with Ciraldo seat warming. A bit like prisoners dilemma - if both sides dig in, you signing IC for 2021 and us refusing to releass then both teams are in strife.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
If we dig in you are also in an a pretty unenviable position with Ciraldo seat warming. A bit like prisoners dilemma - if both sides dig in, you signing IC for 2021 and us refusing to releass then both teams are in strife.

Depends whether Ciraldo does well or not

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
From our current Top 30, there are 13 players off contract this year or next. You would think it would be easiest (for Penrith) to move on some of these players. And realistically, we're probably gonna lose some of them anyway.

2018:
Phillips
Waddell

2019:
Katoa
Egan
Luai
Cleary
Cartwright
Blake
Fisher-Harris
Leota
McKendry
Yeo
Kikau

From that list though, we have our top 2 halfbacks, top 2 hookers, our entire starting back row, and our most dangerous outside back.

And based on their ages, and the state of their careers when they signed/resigned/hit first grade, none of them are on overs - and all of them are due for an upgrade.

If we are negotiating players to the Tigers in exchange for Cleary to coach, they aren't going to want rookies or reserve graders. And that makes me extremely nervous. If Gus can get rid of Merrin and/or Tamou it would be well worth it IMO - but I can't see that happening.

this is why I believe Panthers have said they will wait till end of 20.

Black Magik

Juniors
As mentioned by another poster. that is the likely end to this chapter. Next chapter is the 2019 off season where I can't see the WT prolonging the pain. Who would sign with them as a player? If a player wanted to play under Cleary they would seek out us.

I can see Cleary being the professional through it all but it will be difficult...probably too difficult.

2018:
Phillips
Waddell

2019:
Katoa
Egan
Luai
Cleary
Cartwright
Blake
Fisher-Harris
Leota
McKendry
Yeo
Kikau

To me Cleary just isn’t worth the drama.

Moving players on isn’t just a matter of possibly losing some talent, you could also upset the playing group. They could become resentful towards Ivan Cleary, perhaps even to Nathan.

TimmyB

Juniors
Depends whether Ciraldo does well or not
Kinda the point though. If he wins a premiership are you going to sack him? If he does poorly are you going to waste two seasons in a premiership window.

It isnt great for either club. Mutually assured destruction and unfathomable anyone at your club thought this was a good idea.

OldPanther

Coach
This I believe is a smart move. Panthers are basically tying W/T in knots over this wanting them to terminate Cleary's contract. Panthers I'm sure don't want to hand over any players of worth either.

W/T will now be in a position where there cooach is basically seat warming. Not making great strides in the development of the club.

W/T are in a dreadful position (as I see it) over this.

Yep they'll have a coach who doesn't want to be there and they'll know it.

I can see Ciraldo either getting another head coaching job or staying with Panthers happily somwhere.

mxlegend99

Referee
Ideally Nathan extends now. Ivan joins in 2 years in a different role. If Ciraldo is doing well. You cant replace him. If hes not. He shouldn't get 2 years.

Exsilium

First Grade
Ideally Nathan extends now. Ivan joins in 2 years in a different role. If Ciraldo is doing well. You cant replace him. If hes not. He shouldn't get 2 years.

Who’s to say Ivan does well over the next couple years.

So many variables

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

My thoughts are:

Gus's health not wonderful If Ciraldo doing really well. Gus retires, Ivan do some of Gus's job, Gus still to meddle cause he's Gus. Do media stuff for the club, you know talk us up, do speeches etc.

Cameron to coach.

Whino

Bench
I expect this to quieten down over the next few days. Then in a few weeks, a month or 2 it will all of a sudden ramp up and Cleary will be here next year.
A bit too much emotions and grandstanding at the moment to get a deal done. That and both clubs still seasons to finish.

chrisD

Coach
Tigers might want nothing announced until they have their replacement lined up, and we might play along.