What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Griffen sacked!

Frank Facer

First Grade
Nothing to do with getting his son to stay.

Gould disliked Griffin because he wasn't a yes man.

Gould is a back stabbing dinosaur.

Got rid of the past 3 coaches, still won nothing.

Now wants to rehire a coach he sacked

Well guess what, Cleary is not going there

Maybe one day, not now.

I know for sure that Cleary won't go there till Gould leaves the dump.
I think that Gould sacked Griffin with 4 weeks to go, while Penrith are running 5th simply because he wants to keep Nathan Cleary and that is why they are offering Ivan Cleary a reported 1.6 mil a season. It has everything to do with keeping Nathan Cleary.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Just finished watching the interview so to speak with Gould on the footy show re the Griffin saga.......according to Gus he tried to save Griffin a number of times and it wasnt his decision etc etc Mmmmmmm

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Just finished watching the interview so to speak with Gould on the footy show re the Griffen saga.......according to Gus he tried to save Griffen a number of times and it wasnt his decision etc etc Mmmmmmm
What about Channel 9 getting Ben Hannant to have his 1 minute pot shot to support Gus and how Griffin was a bad old school tactician, Q cup grade game plans and not good at evolving. Lame and shame on you 9. Never balanced.

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
I don't get why people buy into the media hype. They are generally highly inaccurate in their reporting and will frame a story to make it interesting regardless of the facts. They are so full of shit. everything is made into some emotional drama over sfa. At the end of the day for what ever reason panthers don't want Griffin. we can speculate all day as to why. They as an employer have decide to move him on for their own reasons. He will be payed what he is owed as per his contract. Its up to them. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not.They seem comfortable with so why does anyone else care.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I don't get why people buy into the media hype. They are generally highly inaccurate in their reporting and will frame a story to make it interesting regardless of the facts. They are so full of shit. everything is made into some emotional drama over sfa. At the end of the day for what ever reason panthers don't want Griffin. we can speculate all day as to why. They as an employer have decide to move him on for their own reasons. He will be payed what he is owed as per his contract. Its up to them. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not.They seem comfortable with so why does anyone else care.
I think that some people care, because Gould sacked Griffin mid contract and late in the season while Penrith are running 5th and a chance to win the comp, because he wants to sign Ivan Cleary who he sacked 3 years ago, so that Penrith can hold onto Nathan Cleary. I think there are a lot of people who do not think that Gould should be enticing Ivan back to Penrith, while he is still contracted to Wests. They would probably say that Gould isn't being ethical.

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
I think that some people care, because Gould sacked Griffin mid contract and late in the season while Penrith are running 5th and a chance to win the comp, because he wants to sign Ivan Cleary who he sacked 3 years ago, so that Penrith can hold onto Nathan Cleary. I think there are a lot of people who do not think that Gould should be enticing Ivan back to Penrith, while he is still contracted to Wests. They would probably say that Gould isn't being ethical.[/QUOTE

Penrith must believe they can't win a comp with him.Like we are running fouth.I think we can't win it. Actually we are no chance with Mary. They must think there is a chance with ciraldo taking over. Be interesting to see how they perform now. It might justify things a bit.

Panthers can entice all they want its a business these days and wests tigers are protected by contract or compensation.Eventually Ivan and Nathan will be at one club. Might be a few years away. I guess Ivan is leaving tigers at the end of 2020 and they know it now. At least they can plan around it.

Gus said he had no contact with Ivan and he wanted to wait til seasons end before sacking Griffin.Griffen was gone at end of the year regardless of this Ivan thing. It was the panthers GM who spoke to Ivan as they are mates. Once Gus found out about that conversation and that Ivan was going to speak to tigers about it. Gus advised them they had to inform Griffin cause it would get out.Goulds own words.
I guess now they need a coach for 2 years..... Mmmm who's free looking for a gig for 2 years.????

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What about Channel 9 getting Ben Hannant to have his 1 minute pot shot to support Gus and how Griffin was a bad old school tactician, Q cup grade game plans and not good at evolving. Lame and shame on you 9. Never balanced.
Yes saw it, thought it was weak as piss Hannant putting the boot in to Griffin....irrespective of who did what or who said what it was pathetic of Channel 9 to put that to air.....grubby to say the least..another..reason I dont watch the Footy Show.....just happen to come on straight after the Cowboys Donkeys game

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I think that some people care, because Gould sacked Griffin mid contract and late in the season while Penrith are running 5th and a chance to win the comp, because he wants to sign Ivan Cleary who he sacked 3 years ago, so that Penrith can hold onto Nathan Cleary. I think there are a lot of people who do not think that Gould should be enticing Ivan back to Penrith, while he is still contracted to Wests. They would probably say that Gould isn't being ethical.
To be honest I think Cleary is showing poor form if he accepts Penriths offer...1. They sacked him previously and 2.He walks out on a club while still under contract ....sorry dont accept the story that he just wants to coach his son because when Nathans contract with Panthers are finished his son could join him at Tigers.....its all about the dollars imo

ouryears

Bench
True.
Even if the media said nothing it would still irk me

Gould is now into 8 years on his so hyped up 5 yr plan, won nothing.

Has now sacked 3 coaches he chose, so he is not a good recruiter of coaches then is he.

As a commentator can't stand him. Very basic contribution with things he says Iike no no no no no.

Who knows if Griffin lost the dressing room, he might have.

Gould undermines coaches making it impossible for a coach to keep the team working together towards the same goal.

Gould lost me and others with his lack of integrity and honesty a long time ago.

giboz71

First Grade
Watched both interviews on Fox and Ch 9. There’s always 2 sides to the story but Griffin came across as the more genuine and believable.

The Ch 9 interview was nothing more than cheap tabloid journalism, especially when the nuffy Hannant came on and laid the boot into Griffin. How was the necessary. So contrived and biased as Gould works for 9, it wasn’t even funny.

2 things Gus said makes seem like an out and out liar. 1 was that he tried to save Griffin from being sacked. 2 was that he didn’t think Penrith were anywhere near a premiership under Griffin.

Both completely impossible to believe. The Panthers are a good side and like it or not, Griffin was a big reason for that. Semi finals in the 2 previous years and they were premiership favourites less than 2 months ago when they beat us.

Gould is an absolute disgrace after that interview and I’ve lost all respect for him after this saga. Trying to lure Cleary back from the Tigers whilst under contract 3 years after he sacked him just shows he’s an egomaniac and thinks he can do whatever he wants despite the consequences.

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
For those who just believe without question the news Corp spin on Griffin and he was hard done by. Have a read of the panthers forum. Very interesting.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Gould had to sack Griffin before the semis, because if Penrith had made the Grand final or won the comp, it would have been even more difficult for Gould to sack Griffin and bring in Ivan Cleary.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes saw it, thought it was weak as piss Hannant putting the boot in to Griffin....irrespective of who did what or who said what it was pathetic of Channel 9 to put that to air.....grubby to say the least..another..reason I dont watch the Footy Show.....just happen to come on straight after the Cowboys Donkeys game

With the current media groups I am afraid that moral code of ethics no longer has a role to play in today’s game .

We are not speaking of the commentators of yesteryear who were actually promoting the game of rugby league . Rumours were simply not part of the selling of the game .

No there are too many wind bags about nowadays who seem intent on outdoing each other with the latest gossip . Some of these blokes should be running around in a chook pen cackling on with the rest of the fowls . :rooster:

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I think that Gould sacked Griffin with 4 weeks to go, while Penrith are running 5th simply because he wants to keep Nathan Cleary and that is why they are offering Ivan Cleary a reported 1.6 mil a season. It has everything to do with keeping Nathan Cleary.

I that is 100% correct, FF.

redVbull

Juniors
Just watching NRL360 interview with Griffin and am very impressed.
I think he could do good things at the Dragons.
Gould sounds like he would be a real knob of a manager to work for.
Griffin sounds like he knows how to coach and develop not just a team but an NRL club.
I recall how seamlessly Bennett returned to the Broncos indicating the team was left in good shape and Griffin had likely been unfairly shafted.

Griffin was (unjustifiably) dumped by Broncos and on the market same time as Dragon's were looking for Price's replacement ... would have been an ideal choice at the time I never understood why he wasn't approached at the time?

Has taken a bunch of no-name talentless Panthers turned them into 3x season consecutive finalists ... can only imagine what he could have done with a Dragons squad way up in forwards class and talent.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am hearing/reading that Penrith have offered Ivan Cleary 1.5 to 1.6 mil a year. That sounds like massive overs to me. This is what I think Gould's plan is and I thought of it before Penrith sacked Griffin and were reported to be signing Ivan Cleary. Offer Ivan 1.5 mil a year and tell him that 400K of that is for Nathan. The coaches salary isn't included in the salary cap, so they could pay Ivan some of Nathan's money. That keeps 400K off their salary cap for their marquee player. Even then Ivan is still on overs at 1.1 mil a season. Ivan is happy, Nathan is happy, Gould is happy, Penrith fans are happy, everyone's happy.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Except...you know...that’s kind of illegal in the way you described it. But, whatever.
It isn't illegal for a father to give his son money, or the extra 400K that goes to Nathan could be put on a 2 million dollar house, in Ivan's name, to be payed off 6 years or so. Then Ivan could just sign the house over to Nathan at a later date, like even when he retires.

See, I would make a very good CEO. lol

Latest posts