What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin available?

The calm one

Juniors
Should we sign Griffin to take over from Mary? After reading how Griffin took over Penrith in a bad state and now has them going pretty well, he is starting to look like he has done a good job with Penrith. I never even would have entertained signing Griffin until he was sacked this week.

I believe that if we sack Mary, that we will be looking for a premiership winning coach. Bennett, Flanagan, Mcguire and Hasler are the ones that I think our club will be targeting. For some reason, I think we may end up with Mcguire.

I really think we need a new coach from outside our system, with some fresh and new ideas. We also need a coach, who can select the right players and drop players who are not performing. I think Griffin would be an upgrade on Mary, but I know that many on here will think that anyone would be an upgrade on Mary.
NO. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out he comes with a lot of baggage

Dragsters

First Grade
We need to step away from this "anyone else will do" mentality. It's dangerous and could set us up for further mediocrity in the future.

Just because Griffin is available, doesn't mean he's the right option for our club. We shouldn't be settling for anything other than an elite coach.

What he said...

SGMax

Juniors
I thought like many other posters, influenced by comments from Gould and a few disgruntled ex-players like Segeyaro and Hannant....he is not up to winning a premiership, he lost the dressing room, he is old school.....
I hope most of the posters had the opportunity to hear Griffin's version on NRL 360 as prior to that, he had not been in the media.
I am convinced he would be worth considering for a position at the Dragons and he could contribute to the whole organisation in a very positive way. I think he was sacked now cos Gould didn't want him and didn't want to risk making the change once Penrith went deep into the finals.

For what its worth, I would prefer Bennett to return as we have a reasonable roster needing a backline tweak and could be ready for a good tilt at the title similar to the first coming in 2009.
Otherwise, I think Macguire would be a good fit as we have a similar team to the one he had at Souths when they won the title.

BennyV

Referee
Why would we change the coach Frank? I thought that if we had the players, including top halfback, the coach didn’t matter...

BLM01

First Grade
I thought like many other posters, influenced by comments from Gould and a few disgruntled ex-players like Segeyaro and Hannant....he is not up to winning a premiership, he lost the dressing room, he is old school.....
I hope most of the posters had the opportunity to hear Griffin's version on NRL 360 as prior to that, he had not been in the media.
I am convinced he would be worth considering for a position at the Dragons and he could contribute to the whole organisation in a very positive way. I think he was sacked now cos Gould didn't want him and didn't want to risk making the change once Penrith went deep into the finals.

For what its worth, I would prefer Bennett to return as we have a reasonable roster needing a backline tweak and could be ready for a good tilt at the title similar to the first coming in 2009.
Otherwise, I think Macguire would be a good fit as we have a similar team to the one he had at Souths when they won the title.
Why would we want either McGuire or Griffin. McGuire won a comp with a bash and barge boring game plan but since then Souths could not make the finals and eventually was sacked. Look at Souths go now with basically the same side. Gould run Penrith and their game plans with others, under Griffin this year (except for the Dragons game of course) Penrith's defense is ordinary although their injury toll has been high.
Bennett for me is passed it and getting too old now. We need to look to the future not rely on the past. Mary is not the future but there are other candidates out there worth considering. For me Toovey leads them all. Let him bring and choose his support staff.

Why would we want either McGuire or Griffin. McGuire won a comp with a bash and barge boring game plan but since then Souths could not make the finals and eventually was sacked. Look at Souths go now with basically the same side. Gould run Penrith and their game plans with others, under Griffin this year (except for the Dragons game of course) Penrith's defense is ordinary although their injury toll has been high.
Bennett for me is passed it and getting too old now. We need to look to the future not rely on the past. Mary is not the future but there are other candidates out there worth considering. For me Toovey leads them all. Let him bring and choose his support staff.
WHAT????
“Choose his own support staff?”
What’s Young, Hornby, Collins and Head supposed to do then?

If you can’t employ all your old mates what’s the point in even having a club?

BLM01

First Grade
WHAT????
“Choose his own support staff?”
What’s Young, Hornby, Collins and Head supposed to do then?

If you can’t employ all your old mates what’s the point in even having a club?
Yeh sorry forgot about the budget and the Dragons employment psyche entrance test. 20 questions on Dragons club history. And the physical challenge on proving you have bled red and white.

watatank

Coach
We need to step away from this "anyone else will do" mentality. It's dangerous and could set us up for further mediocrity in the future.

Just because Griffin is available, doesn't mean he's the right option for our club. We shouldn't be settling for anything other than an elite coach.

Probably true, but 'settling' for McGregor like we have for the past four years is also dangerous and settting us up for further mediocrity. I get the sense it will be easier to move on from a new appointment like Griffin than keeping McGregor

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
Not for us. Where there is smoke there is fire. In this case an inferno. Media sob story. While the timing is bad this his sacking has been coming for 12 months and what career coach looking for a job would admit to losing a dressing shed.
What's Freddy doing as our half's need some help. Also we need someone from outside who realises dragons footy sux

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Good luck to us all getting one :beers:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Why would we change the coach Frank? I thought that if we had the players, including top halfback, the coach didn’t matter...
Well one reason to change the coach, would be to bring in some fresh and new ideas. Another reason to change the coach, is because Mary keeps selecting the wrong players, such as Nightingale, Aitken and Lafai. Another reason is the Mary has now had a very long time for too little success.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Should we sign Griffin to take over from Mary? After reading how Griffin took over Penrith in a bad state and now has them going pretty well, he is starting to look like he has done a good job with Penrith. I never even would have entertained signing Griffin until he was sacked this week.

I believe that if we sack Mary, that we will be looking for a premiership winning coach. Bennett, Flanagan, Mcguire and Hasler are the ones that I think our club will be targeting. For some reason, I think we may end up with Mcguire.

I really think we need a new coach from outside our system, with some fresh and new ideas. We also need a coach, who can select the right players and drop players who are not performing. I think Griffin would be an upgrade on Mary, but I know that many on here will think that anyone would be an upgrade on Mary.

Agree that anyone is an upgrade on Mary but let's look to the stars and not the mud for our next coach. The Sharks and Broncos have been very inconsistent this year under Flanagan and Bennett so I'm not convinced about those two. Bennett is showing all the signs of his famous '"sang froid" coming apart at the seams and may be entering early senility. In my opinion, Hasler is permanently tarnished by poor recruitment, backended deals and the disgraceful brand of football the Bulldogs served up last year. McGuire was not much better towards the end and lost the Souths dressing room as well.
St George could not beat either club that year so that simply proves that Mary is an exceptionally poor coach who is made to look good by some exceptionally good players like Frizzell who would run through brick walls- until of course their bodies give out towards the end of the year when SGI starts to lose and Mary's lack of coaching nous is exposed for all to see. This is the real reason SGI fade and should be relocated to the Philippines as the Manilla Folders

possm

Coach
Dean Young

If I was going to bet on who will be our next coach I'd place it on Dean Young. His father would have done a deal with the Millward family and Doust. The only problem is that if the new ownership happens, all deals will be off - there's a new sheriff in town.

avocado

Juniors
There is a small pocket of Hook supporters left at the club. Most deserted him a long time ago.

Price was bad, McGregor far worse. You have no idea just how bad Griffin is in comparison.

Trust me.
Looking at the Panthers as an outsider I see Griffin as a genius compared to our guy.

Latest posts