What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

firechild

First Grade
Commenting on a thread that’s not about Gould, Griffin or the panthers? How dare you.

I don’t like GP. Would prefer extra time.
Huh? I don't think I've ever made a comment about Griffin. I may have mentioned Gould a few times but only as a commentator and I certainly don't go out of my way to comment on the Panthers, they're one of the few clubs I don't mind. You may be mistaking me with someone else?

siv

First Grade
Draws do not work in knockout format.

But they are fine for competition rounds

In finals you use extra time as they do now

But if still drawn after 20 min of extra time rather than a replay midweek I advocate the winner be awarded to the team who was placed higher on the competition table

Thats how they solved the problem in the 1910 drawn premiership final

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'd be happy with limited extra time (5 each way) for all matches:
- 90 minute result stands during regular season whether a win or a draw.
- At 90 minutes play resets via a third extra time kickoff and its golden point from then on

carcharias

Immortal
I'm like Wayne Bennett. I only like it if I win. I cry like a crusty old nice person if I lose.
Oh it’s hilarious when your team wins .

Last week I walked off to the toilet at the start of golden point.
I nearly got hit with the ball as it sailed over the post .

That was not hilarious in the slightest.

colly

Juniors
I think a change in that a golden try only then stops it. If a field goal is scored the remaining time/the other team has the chance reply via a field goal too. If at the end of 10 mins extra time ( ie without a golden try) then a draw is called. BUT BUT when a winner in extra time (golden try) that team gets.... One and half premiership points while the losing golden try teams gets half a point. This means 2 premiership points were allocated/won. This gives the losing side a small reward/winning side a reward BUT not two points. This will play out on the table better when the final eight is finalized. The one and a half point and half point shows the true nature of the game ie it was very close, the winning side does not deserve the FULL two points.
Also with having half points opens up interesting ideas of say, a nines comp (3 rounds) with the winner getting 2 points R/U getting 1 point and semi finalist half point each which will make for true style competition..

Diesel

Coach
Gold Coast deserved 1pt today and if Penrith got the other point then Gould would’ve looked much more like a dick

taxidriver

Coach
Golden point can f**k right off

whatever that abomination of a game they play during that extra period is, it isn't rugby league.

whats worse is that it infects the last 5-10 minutes of normal play as well

bring back the draw

kdalymc

Bench

whatever that abomination of a game they play during that extra period is, it isn't rugby league.

bring back the draw

A9E07803-2070-4AA5-805E-0645A8EA2292.jpeg

Pedge1971

First Grade
Just referring to thos weekend. We sucked ass and the Saints deserved to win and shd have put is away earlier. So no complaints.

Similarly Manly v Souffs. Better team on the day won.

moffla

Bench
Winning golden point is barely joyous, more so a relief that you've not lost the game.

The only possible issue I can see with having draws is that both teams might take their foot off the pedal with 10 to go and settle for a draw. But even that's clutching at straws.

Remove GP and have a draw. Most would be happy with that clearly

no name

Coach

bring back the draw
The whole of the NRL isn’t rugby league, but that’s an entirely different point.

I agree that draws should return.

T-Boon

Coach
The problem with golden point is it is really just about who has the best field goal kicker. Filed goal kicking is for that 18th century code Rugby Union.
If you are going to have a "shoot out" just make it 5 minutes of 7 on 7. Golden try.

Sphagnum

Coach
Make it 3 points to win instead of 1. Have to score a try or score multiple times through field goals/penalties.

Or just leave it as a draw like it should be.