What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

OldPanther

Coach
Except the Panthers have admitted to raising the discussion about him coaching the club again, you really are a gymnast trying to avoid seeing your club in the poor light that the majority of the NRL community now see it in.

I wasn't serious about that. I was pointing out the ambiguity of the situation. All reports were that we wanted him for 2021 and he asked for earlier. He waited 2 weeks to tell the Tigers board. He was obviously being suss.

unforgiven

Bench
I wasn't serious about that. I was pointing out the ambiguity of the situation. All reports were that we wanted him for 2021 and he asked for earlier. He waited 2 weeks to tell the Tigers board. He was obviously being suss.
I agree he was being suss, he wanted to go to Penrith next year. The reports about 2021 are spin though as Gus said on Monday that they were waiting on the answer of who their coach will be for 2019. The 2021 reports are to save face for the Panthers but are an obvious lie when they were caught out.

OldPanther

Coach
I agree he was being suss, he wanted to go to Penrith next year. The reports about 2021 are spin though as Gus said on Monday that they were waiting on the answer of who their coach will be for 2019. The 2021 reports are to save face for the Panthers but are an obvious lie when they were caught out.

Fair. The 2021 thing was originally leaked by Paul merkin which is why I listened. We had what the club said backed up by rumors as well. I wouldn't have believed just the club.

unforgiven

Bench
Fair. The 2021 thing was originally leaked by Paul merkin which is why I listened. We had what the club said backed up by rumors as well. I wouldn't have believed just the club.
I feel for the Panthers fans as I have had a soft spot for them for a long time as I live in the area. Being a Tigers fan they have made me feel embarrassed on a number of occasions with their actions so I know it is hard. My soft spot for the Panthers is gone now though as they have shown themselves to be no better than the Roosters, Storm and Sharks of our competition in the regard to low acts to better their success at the costs of others.

Not sure there’s been any change this week

Nope. Panthers seemed to play the same against the Titans as they did the past 2 weeks, except this time around it took extra time to get the win. If that's the best they can get with a new coach then the outlook for the rest of the season is :eek:

OldPanther

Coach
I feel for the Panthers fans as I have had a soft spot for them for a long time as I live in the area. Being a Tigers fan they have made me feel embarrassed on a number of occasions with their actions so I know it is hard. My soft spot for the Panthers is gone now though as they have shown themselves to be no better than the Roosters, Storm and Sharks of our competition in the regard to low acts to better their success at the costs of others.

Now that I've had time to think about the past week since it's finally over we have the following facts:

1. Panthers Board talk to Ivan.

2. Panthers discuss possible move in 2021 but Ivan pushes for 2019. This was leaked by media and later confirmed by Gus. Reasonable chance of being true.

3. Ivan keeps it secret for two weeks.

4. Panthers Sack Griffin and Panthers say we have a "target" for 2019.

5. Tigers get unnecessarily defencive about releasing Ivan although we have no contract offered.

6. Ivan stays silent for a week finally releasing a pre-scripted speech which makes Panthers look worse.

What makes most sense is that Panthers wanted to be able to say to Nathan is that Ivan was sorted for 2021 so we'd get a 5 year deal minimum. Ivan got keen to coach Nathan and pushed for 2019 probably making promises about getting a release. Panthers backed him but the Tigers played hardball and Ivan backflipped to save face when public opinion shifted. Panthers get left lookinglike the villain. If you don't cherry pick the facts this is really the only thing that makes sense.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Now that I've had time to think about the past week since it's finally over we have the following facts:

1. Panthers Board talk to Ivan.

2. Panthers discuss possible move in 2021 but Ivan pushes for 2019. This was leaked by media and later confirmed by Gus. Reasonable chance of being true.

3. Ivan keeps it secret for two weeks.

4. Panthers Sack Griffin and Panthers say we have a "target" for 2019.

5. Tigers get unnecessarily defencive about releasing Ivan although we have no contract offered.

6. Ivan stays silent for a week finally releasing a pre-scripted speech which makes Panthers look worse.

What makes most sense is that Panthers wanted to be able to say to Nathan is that Ivan was sorted for 2021 so we'd get a 5 year deal minimum. Ivan got keen to coach Nathan and pushed for 2019 probably making promises about getting a release. Panthers backed him but the Tigers played hardball and Ivan backflipped to save face when public opinion shifted. Panthers get left lookinglike the villain. If you don't cherry pick the facts this is really the only thing that makes sense.

The only thing that makes sense from a one eyed Panthers POV perhaps. There could be a dozen different things that "make sense" if we were to try and draw conclusions and make assumptions to fit a narrative but we'll never really have enough information to know for sure.

OldPanther

Coach
The only thing that makes sense from a one eyed Panthers POV perhaps. There could be a dozen different things that "make sense" if we were to try and draw conclusions and make assumptions to fit a narrative but we'll never really have enough information to know for sure.

I think thats the sensible approach but It's been fine to make assumptions, fill the gaps and cherry pick info to prove the negative for the club.