What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex-Warriors NRL performance thread

TheDMC

Bench
Remember 2015, had Townsend and Johnson halves.

If someone said then Chad would play finals every year, winning once and Shaun would not even play finals, you would have said you're having a laugh.

Not really mate, the Chad has been in a much a better team that period so no surprise really. He has just done his role well, not been a key factor of success I don't think. He is a solid half, certainly not outstanding. His defence seems to have come on. Plays tough and like any solid half, will do well behind a great pack (like the sharks).

I wonder how the Sharkies would have done the past 3 years with SJ in the team...great pack, good backs, tough as nails team.

sup42

Juniors
Remember 2015, had Townsend and Johnson halves.

If someone said then Chad would play finals every year, winning once and Shaun would not even play finals, you would have said you're having a laugh.
Johnsons quite tricky to play alongside with his instinctive way of playing...similar problem to playing with Marshall when he was younger.

Foran and Blake Green found a way to compliment Johnsons game. Loolooeye couldn't.

Big ask for a young half like Chad to find his place with that type of personality.

in some ways Green is one of the best signings the Warriors have ever penned.

Johnson looks quite settled out there and having Kearney around for probably a long time compared to his predecessors must be settling for SJ.

Chad has proved he is a good half back.

JJ

Immortal
Not really mate, the Chad has been in a much a better team that period so no surprise really. He has just done his role well, not been a key factor of success I don't think. He is a solid half, certainly not outstanding. His defence seems to have come on. Plays tough and like any solid half, will do well behind a great pack (like the sharks).

I wonder how the Sharkies would have done the past 3 years with SJ in the team...great pack, good backs, tough as nails team.

I think we're getting some indication of that with Moylan?

At the end of the day, if their full strength pack is on the field (which it seldom has been) - they are aq string chance - that pack is full of hard arse veterans who know how to get the job done - and not just veterans - legitimately great (Lewis, Gallen) and top notch (Graham, Fifita, Prior, Woods) forwards supported by a few promising youngsters (how good is it seeing a Sorenson playing for the Sharkies) and the likes of Bukuya (who's better than what was evident here)

Big Marn

Juniors
Interesting. Injury prompted or just realised he wasn’t gonna consistently cut it in first grade?
He got cut from team in UK then a new deal with London broncos fell through. Decided to flag it and came home. That's the short version. There's a news story but can't link it right now

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He got cut from team in UK then a new deal with London broncos fell through. Decided to flag it and came home. That's the short version. There's a news story but can't link it right now

Fair enough. Was realistically never gonna make it as a top flight NRL prop so if the UK wasn’t planning out he probably saw there was a better future in going into teaching than plying his trade in the lower grades as a semi pro.

Big Marn

Juniors
Fair enough. Was realistically never gonna make it as a top flight NRL prop so if the UK wasn’t planning out he probably saw there was a better future in going into teaching than plying his trade in the lower grades as a semi pro.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12209308

Former Warriors fan favourite Charlie Gubb has reportedly turned his back on league and has returned to New Zealand to pursue a career in teaching.

The former Warriors and Canberra NRL front-rower has reportedly given the game away following a short-lived stint with UK Super League side Widnes.

The 28-year-old headed to England last year after gaining a mid-season release from the Raiders, but made just four appearances for Widnes before being released following the club's relegation.

"He has left rugby league and he is doing a teaching job in Wellington," Gubb's long-time manager and former Kiwis coach Frank Endacott told Foxsports.com.au.

"I doubt he would come back to the game unless there was an offer which was good enough, and I think he's pretty disillusioned."

After parting ways with Widnes, Gubb was poised to sign a new contract with the London Broncos but the deal never materialised.

Rather than try to find another new club either in the Super League or NRL, Wellington-born Gubb has returned to his home town and taken up a new career path.

Endacott is adamant his client still has plenty to offer rugby league and is disappointed circumstances have seen him give the game away.

"I know the scene in England pretty well and he was ready to sign with the London Broncos," he said.

"He would have been one of their top line players and I offered them Charlie on a plate, but then they chose to stick loyal with the players that had got them promoted.

"Good luck to them. He would have been perfect for London and after all that, Charlie got pretty disillusioned with it all.

"He is at the perfect age, his fitness is really good and everywhere he goes he becomes a crowd favourite. His teammates love playing with him because he is tough and plays on the fine line.

"He's too good a player not to be playing, and you can only get so many knock backs before you give up. It is a great shame that he has chosen to have a spell out of the game."

A Warriors junior, Gubb was a member of the club's 2010 under 20s grand final winning side that also contained Kiwis test star Shaun Johnson.

He was released by the Warriors soon after and made the move across the Tasman where he spent two years honing his craft with the Wynnum Manly Seagulls in the Queensland Cup.

The Warriors eventually re-signed him and he made his first grade debut in 2013, before going on to make 39 appearances for the Auckland-based outfit.

Gubb's fearless style of play earned him cult status among the Mt Smart faithful but the NRL made an example of him in 2016 when they handed him a seven week suspension for a shoulder charge on Manly's Darcy Lussick.

He was disappointed the Warriors did not offer him a contract extension beyond 2017 and reluctantly left to join Canberra where a serious groin injury contributed to him making just five appearances in the lime green.

TheDMC

Bench
Bummer for Charlie. Hope he is not lost to the game.

But I'll miss keeping an eye on Konnie this season much more...likeable fellow whose barnstorming runs were almost as entertaining as his brain farts. Thought he would develop into a top class player, but never ironed out his kinks. Now in UK so outta sight outta mind.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Gubby was bit of a cult favourite nd I loved his effort but was realistically too small for a prop and didn’t have the motor or footy brains for a 13. Probably a good idea to be thinking beyond footy at 28. Good luck to him, he had a memorable career even if he didn’t achieve great heights after juniors.

As for Konnie... I just wish he’d kicked on that bit further and applied himself, he could be so much more. I really feel we’re blessed to have a guy like RTS in the side on that note, he’s that rare combination of awesome natural talent, faultless work ethic and great attitude. It’s so rare you get all three, especially at the Warriors.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah...I mean Charlie always tried, but when you're cut from the playoff-missing Warriors, the playoff-missing Raiders, the relegated Halifax and London don't want you - it's probably not looking that flash for your prospects.

As the above said, too small, suspect tackling technique, no go forward and not enough else to offer. Only a cult hero because of his hair and Wendy's ads.

Meth

Staff member
Casting my eye over the teams for Round 2-

CNK is playing fullback at the Raiders.

Vete on the bench for the Storm.

Gavet is starting at prop for the Knights. Lino on their extended bench

Tof Sipley is starting for the Sea Eagles.

Matulino, Packer and Taylor are gunning for us.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Posted it in a different thread but CNK had a good showing last round looking forward to seeing him again.

Hope Tof smashes it too.

sup42

Juniors
Yeah CNK definitely made the right decision, as did the Warriors do right by him, letting go where he could play NRL.

Cappy probably had a hand in it.

jaseg

Juniors
Yeah CNK definitely made the right decision, as did the Warriors do right by him, letting go where he could play NRL.

Cappy probably had a hand in it.

You can scratch out "probably" - Stuart admitted he didn't know much about CNK at all, and it was a McFadden signing.

Still annoyed that he's not here playing centre, but happy for him - seems like a good kid.