What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Membership Thread

I will watch it where ever I want. I pay for Fox and they pay the big bucks to the NRL, who just quietly, distribute to the clubs.

So, I don’t care what some gypsy from Canberra thinks about Sydney siders. Probably because I don’t live there anymore, but that’s beside the point.

carcharias

Immortal
More & more Sydneysiders maybe
Every other place in the NRL world has either held their average or increased it, certainly when they are playing well & conditions are good despite near wall to wall coverage.

If Sydneysiders think it's all too hard then it's about time to move on from Sydney because imo their attitude to the game & their club will never improve

2nd Brisbane
2nd NZ
Perth
CC

New eyeballs both on TV & at the ground
That's the future

Are you talking memberships?

Because
Brisbane gone backwards
Gold coast gone backwards
Warriors gone backwards

50% of away teams are worse off.

And you want to put more teams in two of those going backwards?

greenBV4

Bench
Storm have stopped selling 2018 memberships and 2019 memberships will be available soon

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 2.32.16 pm.png
someone's gonna have to make a 2019 thread soon

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don't buy this "they're dodgy" line.

I completely agree if they're releasing figures they should be split and rocgnised properly for all to see, but I don't agree with the suggestions that all limited-game and non-ticketed memberships are dodgy. I live interstate from my club, why shouldn't I be counted as a member simply because I can't attend as often anymore?

I have no problem with non-ticketed memberships, what I do have a problem with and what I find dodgy is clubs (and not just NRL clubs mind you) trying to pass the sale of them off as if they are full ticketed memberships by including them in the same numbers as season ticket holders and the like, it's a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the position that the club is in.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Are you talking memberships?

Because
Brisbane gone backwards
Gold coast gone backwards
Warriors gone backwards

50% of away teams are worse off.

And you want to put more teams in two of those going backwards?
no
attendances
dragon slayer was saying why would people attend games when they get them all on tv for 60 bucks a month
outside of Sydney , if your team is doing ok your crowds don't suffer as a result of tv anywhere near as bad
the fact the basketcase titans can draw over 11K against box office poison in the panthers while all Sydney games draw 7K & 10K is proof definitive

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I have no problem with non-ticketed memberships, what I do have a problem with and what I find dodgy is clubs (and not just NRL clubs mind you) trying to pass the sale of them off as if they are full ticketed memberships by including them in the same numbers as season ticket holders and the like, it's a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the position that the club is in.
Do you have actual facts to back that assumption though?

I know for a fact the AFL and FFA both demand breakdowns and exclude certain types from public counts - it's possible the NRL do the same and we're actually seeing those correct numbers

carcharias

Immortal
no
attendances
dragon slayer was saying why would people attend games when they get them all on tv for 60 bucks a month
outside of Sydney , if your team is doing ok your crowds don't suffer as a result of tv anywhere near as bad
the fact the basketcase titans can draw over 11K against box office poison in the panthers while all Sydney games draw 7K & 10K is proof definitive

I think you’ll find any team that goes good will have a better crowd than when they go shit.
Regardless of TV
Weather and time slots are part of it as well though

Teams out of Sydney have it easy in comparison when it comes to traffic.
Eg
Townsville = no other team within 1000’s kms
Great weather
Easy to get to the ground.

Compare their crowds to last year when they were going well.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I think you’ll find any team that goes good will have a better crowd than when they go shit.
Regardless of TV
Weather and time slots are part of it as well though

Teams out of Sydney have it easy in comparison when it comes to traffic.
Eg
Townsville = no other team within 1000’s kms
Great weather
Easy to get to the ground.

Compare their crowds to last year when they were going well.
Souths & the Dragons , both in the top 4 , on a perfect sunday afternoon got 13K in May
the Roosters & Dragons , both top 4 , also on a glorious sunday got 19K
so no
where Sydney is concerned even with every possible condition on point including form
these days , there are no guarantees
the last placed Cowboys on a Thursday night got 20K last week

the future of the NRL is not in Sydney & its plainly obvious this is the case

carcharias

Immortal
Souths & the Dragons , both in the top 4 , on a perfect sunday afternoon got 13K in May
so no
where Sydney is concerned even with every possible condition on point including form

What’s the cowboys overall average like?
Don’t just pull their guaranteed biggest game of the year out.

so no

Take it india and pull massive crowds. It would look fantastic

The Great Dane

First Grade
Do you have actual facts to back that assumption though?

Take this example from GWS (the only one I could find from a quick google search that actually breaks down their numbers at all), the headline is: GIANTS Hit 20k Members in Record Time, not: Giants hit 20k members, 4,812 of which are 3 game Canberra memberships, they are intentionally lumping at least both the season ticket holders and Canberra members together, they're withholding important pieces of information because it's a better look for their PR and marketing in an attempt to try and convince the average Joe that they have 20k members in the traditional sense i.e. season ticket holders and cause they know that journalists will then take up that 20k number and not distinguish the Canberra members making it look like they have 20k members in their main target market of Sydney and are doing better than they actually are...

Almost all the numbers you see in this thread, in the media, or wherever are aggregate numbers made up of multiple types of memberships sold, they aren't broken down into categories or restricted to just one type of membership and I'm sure you know that, and that in of it's self is intentionally misleading.

I know for a fact the AFL and FFA both demand breakdowns and exclude certain types from public counts - it's possible the NRL do the same and we're actually seeing those correct numbers

I'm sure they do, doesn't really matter though cause they still don't provide a breakdown of what is actually included in their public number counts to the general public and even if they did they still wouldn't be releasing that full breakdown of numbers publicly anyway.

BTW, if you are suggesting that most clubs don't count things like 3 game memberships or whatever in their public counts or even that it is or may be standard practice to only include full season ticket holders into their public counts then you are delusional, especially when considering that in the past club like e.g. the West Coast Eagles have claimed more members than their home stadium at the time could actually house...

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Take this example from GWS (the only one I could find from a quick google search that actually breaks down their numbers at all), the headline is: GIANTS Hit 20k Members in Record Time, not: Giants hit 20k members, 4,812 of which are 3 game Canberra memberships, they are intentionally lumping at least both the season ticket holders and Canberra members together, they're withholding important pieces of information because it's a better look for their PR and marketing in an attempt to try and convince the average Joe that they have 20k members in the traditional sense i.e. season ticket holders and cause they know that journalists will then take up that 20k number and not distinguish the Canberra members making it look like they have 20k members in their main target market of Sydney and are doing better than they actually are...

Almost all the numbers you see in this thread, in the media, or wherever are aggregate numbers made up of multiple types of memberships sold, they aren't broken down into categories or restricted to just one type of membership and I'm sure you know that, and that in of it's self is intentionally misleading.

I'm sure they do, doesn't really matter though cause they still don't provide a breakdown of what is actually included in their public number counts to the general public and even if they did they still wouldn't be releasing that full breakdown of numbers publicly anyway.

BTW, if you are suggesting that most clubs don't count things like 3 game memberships or whatever in their public counts or even that it is or may be standard practice to only include full season ticket holders into their public counts then you are delusional, especially when considering that in the past club like e.g. the West Coast Eagles have claimed more members than their home stadium at the time could actually house...

With the eagles you had to have a membership just to be in line to get a ticketed memberships if and when one became available! With Optus available this year they’ve cracked the 80,000 member mark which is pretty staggering for a city of 2mill with another popular team in town.

I liked the info graphic Cronulla did last year breaking down more Info on members, be nice to see every club produce something like that. End of day any member is a good member but I highly doubt most clubs memberships are over 60% full ticketed looking at crowds and the lack of growth in line with membership growth. Maybe they need to offer much better full ticketed membership deals to swing this?

The Great Dane

First Grade
With the eagles you had to have a membership just to be in line to get a ticketed memberships if and when one became available! With Optus available this year they’ve cracked the 80,000 member mark which is pretty staggering for a city of 2mill with another popular team in town.

Hence why I brought them up cause they were definitely counting non-ticketed members in their numbers (and I'm certain that they aren't the only ones), which in of it's self isn't a bad thing, but when you aren't disclosing that fact or you aren't indicating what percentage of the membership numbers are non-ticketed or are ticketed but not season tickets that's when it becomes dodgy.

I liked the info graphic Cronulla did last year breaking down more Info on members, be nice to see every club produce something like that. End of day any member is a good member but I highly doubt most clubs memberships are over 60% full ticketed looking at crowds and the lack of growth in line with membership growth.

Sure but not all memberships are equal and not acknowledging or disclosing that fact when they are counted is a classic case of data manipulation.

Maybe they need to offer much better full ticketed membership deals to swing this?

Unless the club was willing to make a very large loss on game days I doubt that it would really help in the Raiders case...

The biggest problem the Raiders face isn't really the price per se, it's that value for money wise the product can't compete with the competition.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
A couple of months ago through touch football Victoria, the storm were offering ‘1 game memberships’

Firstly, would that count towards their official tally? (and therefore be inflating it)

Secondly, isn’t a 1 game membership effectively just a ticket?

carcharias

Immortal
A couple of months ago through touch football Victoria, the storm were offering ‘1 game memberships’

Firstly, would that count towards their official tally? (and therefore be inflating it)

Secondly, isn’t a 1 game membership effectively just a ticket?

Sounds like a storm thing.
Say one thing that means a totally different thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds like a storm thing.
Say one thing that means a totally different thing.

Every club offers one game memberships. Just some clubs have more people that actually take it up lol

I guess the question has to be why do we care how many members clubs have? If it is as a sign of popularity then it doesn't really matter what types of members they are. If it is to gauge a clubs revenue sustainability then it makes a big difference. Either way growth of 4% a year is a good thing and great to see an Expansion club like Melbourne leading the way in growth and numbers.

sempmrh

Juniors
The point of a limited game membership (or even a one game membership) is to get people into the system so the following year the club can try to convert that person to a higher level membership. I'm a ten year Storm member and even though I'm on auto-rollover they still send out renewal forms. On those forms they always suggest I upgrade to the next category up or add other things to my membership. Everything helps.

Frailty

First Grade
no
attendances

I recently moved to Melbourne, and I can say that the apathy is not something just in Sydney. Speaking to sport fans down here, a lot of them won't go to Storm games simply because the game is better on TV.

Latest posts