What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
If our ambition is 10-15k fans at games then that is fine. Maybe we should reset our ambitions to be like Aleague or basketball and just accept that 15k is the real avg our game is going to pull, in which case then yep suburban grounds and clubs with smallish population reachs are fine. However if we want to be a big boy sport and get our crowds to 20k plus then we need stadiums and catchments that will drive this and staying in the confines of suburbs with stadia of 15k comfortable capacity isnt going to achieve it.

In many ways Sydney suburban mentality has not been challenged as the one city clubs have failed as miserably to grow on the whole. Storm are growing nicely and likely to be our second club over 20k avg in years to come but the others are not performing any better than sydney suburb clubs. IF they change that and we had the likes of Auckland, Canberra, Brisbane 2, Perth and Adelaide over 20k regularly then the fear of sydney clubs getting left behind may be a driver for a different mindset.

If Perth has a team would you rather them play in Perth or Darwin?

big hit!

Bench
Because back in 1908 that is where they started. But a lot off things have changed since then.

In some ways we have followed the NFL, where the two New York teams, the Jets and Giants, don't just not play in New York City, they don't play in the state of New York either. They play about 10k away, just across the border in the state of New Jersey. My NFL team the Dallas Cowboys, don't play in Dallas. They haven't since 1970. They presently play in Arlington Texas which is about 30k from Dallas.

Teams in America move around in chase of the best economic deal. That is what Souths and other teams in the NRL do.

The Jets and Giants play in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area. It's a tri-state region which takes in NYC, Long Island, the populous eastern region of New Jersey (where the Meadowlands is located) & southern region of Connecticut. The market of both teams is the Greater Metropolitan Area called New York.

Arlington is part of the Mid-cities region of the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Metropolitan Area which is the Cowboys market.

Likewise, Santa Clara is in the western region of the San Francisco Bay Area which the 49ers generally represent. The East Bay of Alameda and surrounding areas is Raider turf.

When teams move, they change their name. Baltimore became Idianapolis, Cleveland became Baltimore. Oakland will become Las Vegas.

With a new stadium to be built in Moore Park, and only one current rugby league tenant, I won't be surprised if Souths come back home. It'll be state of the art, and some of our brethren from western sydney could use the walk from central to moore park and back to shed some weight. I'll be at the KB as I am for Sydney FC matches in the summer

DC_fan

Coach
The Jets and Giants play in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area. It's a tri-state region which takes in NYC, Long Island, the populous eastern region of New Jersey (where the Meadowlands is located) & southern region of Connecticut. The market of both teams is the Greater Metropolitan Area called New York.

Arlington is part of the Mid-cities region of the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Metropolitan Area which is the Cowboys market.

Likewise, Santa Clara is in the western region of the San Francisco Bay Area which the 49ers generally represent. The East Bay of Alameda and surrounding areas is Raider turf.

When teams move, they change their name. Baltimore became Idianapolis, Cleveland became Baltimore. Oakland will become Las Vegas.

With a new stadium to be built in Moore Park, and only one current rugby league tenant, I won't be surprised if Souths come back home. It'll be state of the art, and some of our brethren from western sydney could use the walk from central to moore park and back to shed some weight. I'll be at the KB as I am for Sydney FC matches in the summer

My point is, teams move and still represent the location they are named after. Just like Souths have done.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Darwin or Perth ?

Stupid even for you. Cronulla playing at sfs instead of sht park isn’t same as perth playing in Darwin! Joondalup oval is much closer to me than nib but I’m not stupid enough to want them to play there because it’s easier for me.

carcharias

Immortal
Stupid even for you. Cronulla playing at sfs instead of sht park isn’t same as perth playing in Darwin! Joondalup oval is much closer to me than nib but I’m not stupid enough to want them to play there because it’s easier for me.

So it’s perth
Of course it’s Perth.

Why the f**k would you be happy to see a perth team play in Darwin?

Hang on...
What if it meant the NRL got bigger crowds?
Ey?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So it’s perth
Of course it’s Perth.

Why the f**k would you be happy to see a perth team play in Darwin?

Hang on...
What if it meant the NRL got bigger crowds?
Ey?

Are you on the turps? Your rambling and making even less sense than usual!

Teddyboy

First Grade
f**kin Cronulla and Penrith should of never been entered in the Sydney comp in 1967.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Answer the question.
Perth based out of Darwin if it was going to increase crowds
Are you in?

Sure if Darwin can get bigger crowds and be a more sustainable club than perth I’d have no problem Darwin being the next expansion team. Now how about you, sht park or Adelaide if it meant sharks playing in Front of 20k crowds?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
We're not going back here again. This isn't an expansion forum. Take the talk elsewhere.

carcharias

Immortal
I predict 14k for Sharks vCowboys in the beautiful shire on a classic Saturday night.

God I LOVE :heartpulse: living in the Shire with a premiership winning team to support.

T-Boon

Coach
I think Smith was right 4 years ago, you improve crowds by improving the game day experience including the product on the field which has become horrible under Bellamy ball.

taipan

Referee
He’s got the hide to tell us we should move our games to some shit stadium over an hour in traffic away ....
A stadium that already can’t get crowds from teams located a lot closer to it than us.

and people wonder why we stick up for the local club we grew up following.

And probably the reason, a greater % of our membership attend at Sharks Park.
PR in his bubble ,has no concept of time taken and distance in Sydney.

Latest posts