What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NSWRL Senior Comps - ISP, Flegg, RMC, Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

rightleftin

Juniors
They dont get a 36-0 result. Its all the points from the shield games for that round added up and divided by 8. So after the two games Belrose lead 28-0

Well that is an absolute joke, so Belrose will get less because Hills are having a bye and wont have a 70-0 result included - clearly the NSWRL sought the advice of the Abbott/Joyce Institute of Science for that formula. Teams are missing out on 60 by not playing Brothers, the results in the other games in the round are totally irrelevant. The comp is a farce with one team losing 13 of 17 games going to play in a "final" in 2 weeks time - it will certainly be that clubs final game but certainly not a final.

rightleftin

Juniors
SS

Moorebank 42 Asquith 10
Wenty 44 Blacktown 20

If the computer is correct, Asquith made no interchanges in the first half!

Wenty somehow lost to Blacktown 30-28 in RMC.

The appalling effort of Brothers in dropping out of the SS is put in perspective by what occurred in minor semi final in the Northern conference today. Narraweena had 10 players when the game started. They didn't forfeit, they went out and closed down Berowra for 10 minutes until another 2 arrived, then scored the first try in the game and Berowra had to kick a penalty goal on half time to get on the scoreboard.

Of course with no bench and an overlap for the whole game they didn't have any petrol in the tank and went down 18-10. Too bad that brothers don't have an ounce of guts.

NaiveNumbskull

Juniors
I stand corrected. Asquith getting hammered by Moorebank.
Haha. Oh well.

Were they stacked by RMC players though? I thought the impact of Souths FG player injuries would've had an effect at that level too. Its impacted on Bears ISP so assumedly Asquith RMC then Asquith SS?

Going off the teamlist I thought there were some players from under 20s level that'd played some SS play their 1st RMC games. Going off that I thought they were weakened. Im unknowlegable about players that havnt played in Flegg or ISP for Bears however.

NaiveNumbskull

Juniors
Narraweena had 10 players when the game started. They didn't forfeit, they went out and closed down Berowra for 10 minutes until another 2 arrived, then scored the first try in the game and Berowra had to kick a penalty goal on half time to get on the scoreboard.

Of course with no bench and an overlap for the whole game they didn't have any petrol in the tank and went down 18-10.
Thats a massive effort.

Broncos93

Juniors
Haha. Oh well.

Were they stacked by RMC players though? I thought the impact of Souths FG player injuries would've had an effect at that level too. Its impacted on Bears ISP so assumedly Asquith RMC then Asquith SS?

Going off the teamlist I thought there were some players from under 20s level that'd played some SS play their 1st RMC games. Going off that I thought they were weakened. Im unknowlegable about players that havnt played in Flegg or ISP for Bears however.

Not really. There doesn't seem to be a lot of movement up from Asquith RMC to North Sydney. The Veamatahau twins don't seem to get much of a look in there anymore, Jackson Williams has played a few games but besides that it's all Norths contracted guys. They seem to put guys from their 20s, like Sean Sabutey, in ISP rather than calling up Asquith players which is an odd decision given some of the talent there. Sabutey played a game or two for Asquith in RMC and didn't look much chop at that level.

As for yesterday's team, guys like John Grimes, Braeden Batiste, Rob Tuliatu, Shae Jarvis, Josh Hall have all been RMC regulars for Asquith this year so I was surprised to see the scoreline. Even guys like Alipate Tani and Vinny Ngaro are quality. That being said - I haven't seen much of Moorebank this year.

imgunawin72

Juniors
Well that is an absolute joke, so Belrose will get less because Hills are having a bye and wont have a 70-0 result included - clearly the NSWRL sought the advice of the Abbott/Joyce Institute of Science for that formula. Teams are missing out on 60 by not playing Brothers, the results in the other games in the round are totally irrelevant. The comp is a farce with one team losing 13 of 17 games going to play in a "final" in 2 weeks time - it will certainly be that clubs final game but certainly not a final.
A top 6 teams in the finals would make more sense with an 11 team comp

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The issue is with the finals format being 8 not 5 or 6. The forfeit practice is perfectly fine and makes sense. Just sucks for the four clubs subjected to it.

Tarantosaurus

Juniors
Saw the game today

Was very impressed with Moorebank. They have come so far in such a short period. I reckon they will go close to winning the comp

I'm guessing you saw the game beforehand too? :joy:

I hope the Rams do get all the way to the end. They've always impressed me, week in and out. I hope they take it all the way.

Pantherman72

Juniors
Not really. There doesn't seem to be a lot of movement up from Asquith RMC to North Sydney. The Veamatahau twins don't seem to get much of a look in there anymore, Jackson Williams has played a few games but besides that it's all Norths contracted guys. They seem to put guys from their 20s, like Sean Sabutey, in ISP rather than calling up Asquith players which is an odd decision given some of the talent there. Sabutey played a game or two for Asquith in RMC and didn't look much chop at that level.

As for yesterday's team, guys like John Grimes, Braeden Batiste, Rob Tuliatu, Shae Jarvis, Josh Hall have all been RMC regulars for Asquith this year so I was surprised to see the scoreline. Even guys like Alipate Tani and Vinny Ngaro are quality. That being said - I haven't seen much of Moorebank this year.

When those players play Ron Massey Cup it is more a case of Asquiths Massey team being stacked with Shield players rather then their Shield team being stacked with Ron Massey players. The score yesterday proves that.

rightleftin

Juniors
The issue is with the finals format being 8 not 5 or 6. The forfeit practice is perfectly fine and makes sense. Just sucks for the four clubs subjected to it.

Your right the number of teams in the "finals" is laughable and forfeits should not exist but awarding average points scored by other teams in a round is not logical. In the last 2 years when we had some isolated forfeits a 30-0 result was awarded in every instance but this year it is 36 one week, 31 the next and maybe 28 this week. Because the finals are a joke it does not matter but what if it was real finals and Belrose and Blacktown were equal 5th and the points differential was identical (they were only 5 apart a few weeks ago) then the team that gets 5th spot is determined by whether there is a mud heap weekend and hardly any tries when one receives a forfeit and then the next week it is fine and stacks of tries are scored when the other receives the forfeit.

No club should be subject to inferior treatment due to the actions of forfeiting clubs.

Timmah

Staff member
In the last 2 years when we had some isolated forfeits a 30-0 result was awarded in every instance but this year it is 36 one week, 31 the next and maybe 28 this week.

This is categorically false - the average rule has been in place for at least the last few seasons. They reason it's more evident this year is because one team has forfeited several consecutive games.

rightleftin

Juniors
This is categorically false - the average rule has been in place for at least the last few seasons. They reason it's more evident this year is because one team has forfeited several consecutive games.

I assume that you have misremembered what occurred over the last 2 seasons but to ensure that an accurate record is found on this forum I will post the facts. For scores in 2017 see NSWRL live, for 2016 see leaguenet.

19/8/2017 SS Mounties received forfeit from Asquith - awarded 36-0
279 points in other 5 games so if average result per 2018 had applied it would have been 28-0

28/8/2016 RMC CBW received forfeit from Kingsgrove - awarded 30-0
234 points scored in 5 other games so if 2018 method had applied it would have been 23-0

26/8/2016 SS Belrose received forfeit from Peninsula - awarded 30-0
360 points scored in other 6 games so 2018 method flukes same result

20/8/2016 SS Guildford received forfeit from Mounties - awarded 30-0
391 points scored in other 6 games so if 2018 method had applied it would have been 33-0

3 forfeits in the space of 8 days.

6/8/2016 SS Windsor received forfeit from Blacktown - awarded 30-0
342 points scored in other 6 games so if 2018 method had been applied it would have been 29-0
Coach latilupe was sacked by Blacktown during the week so the players withdrew in protest.

4/6/2016 SS Guildford received forfeit from Asquith - awarded 30-0
349 points scored in other 6 games so if 2018 method applied it would have been 29-0
The previous week Asquith lost 90-10 to Auburn so the club withdrew for a week and then resumed and suffered many floggings but managed to beat Cabra and played every other game and ended with NEGATIVE 1137 points differential.

17/4/2016 SS East Campbelltown forfeited to St Marys - awarded 30-0
362 points scored in other 6 games so 2018 method flukes same result
The doctor did not arrive at Waminda. St Marys waited half an hour at which point the game was declared a forfeit. East Campbelltown won the premiership from 5th place.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
I wouldn't trust NSWRL live to be totally accurate but I can tell you that in 2017 there were 3 forfeits and they all used the average points rule:

Round 9: Asquith d. Moorebank. Result recorded as 39-0 on NSWRL and LU (should've been 34-0).
Round 24: Mounties d. Asquith. Result recorded as 36-0 on NSWRL, as 28-0 on LU. Correct is 28-0
Round 25: Guildford d. Moorebank. Result recorded as 39-0 on NSWRL, as 29-0 on LU. Correct is 29-0.

You're right about 2016 that it was awarded as 30-0 in all instances, but the averaging rule (whether it was correctly applied or not) came in last year and has continued this year.

rightleftin

Juniors
There are so many forfeits that it is hard to recollect them all but its great that no one should believe anything on the NSWRL's website. I suppose if that had not discontinued the weekly programs they might have had the facts in them or if they had not stopped the weekly video highlights after round 1 or if they had not stopped posting the weekly wraps after round 11.

Anyway I sure hope the NSWRL rings League Unlimited next Monday so that they have the right clubs playing each other the following weekend.

Timmah

Staff member
There are so many forfeits that it is hard to recollect them all but its great that no one should believe anything on the NSWRL's website. I suppose if that had not discontinued the weekly programs they might have had the facts in them or if they had not stopped the weekly video highlights after round 1 or if they had not stopped posting the weekly wraps after round 11.

Anyway I sure hope the NSWRL rings League Unlimited next Monday so that they have the right clubs playing each other the following weekend.
I can't see any discrepancy with this year's results at this point so I don't know why that would be the case.

The only difference I can spot across any of the NSWRL Major Comps is with Jersey Flegg, where it looks like the 2 or 3 all club bye rounds they had ended up seeing all clubs getting 2 points for the byes. So the ladder is the same, but higher points

Tarantosaurus

Juniors
They reason it's more evident this year is because one team has forfeited several consecutive games.

It's not that they've forfeited several consecutive games on their own accord though. NSWRL said that if any team forfeits, at least once, they're out of the competition for that season. Even if they had the players, they still cannot compete in that comp.

imgunawin72

Juniors
It's not that they've forfeited several consecutive games on their own accord though. NSWRL said that if any team forfeits, at least once, they're out of the competition for that season. Even if they had the players, they still cannot compete in that comp.
Sounds like a tough rule, but I get the feeling that brothers just got sick of being flogged each week and they've pulled the pin on SS for the year
I guess their club can't force the blokes to play as disappointing an effort that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts