What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four North AmerIcan cities interested in joining the RFL

deal.with.it

Juniors
After all that you're still going to be out billions of dollars spent in promoting the sport and getting the necessary infrastructure in place cause you ain't going to get anywhere near the necessary amount of investment in the form of sponsorship money, government funding, etc, cause there's basically no market for RL in the US so there's no value to them in dropping big amounts into propping it up, and even if they were interested in putting the amount of money necessary into lunching a new national competition they'd invest it in an off season American football comp and not a totally new sport (even then they've been nervous to do that after the fiascoes that the USFL and especially the XFL were).

You also aren't going to get Apple, Amazon, or any streaming platforms or the broadcasters to pay to much for the TV rights (if they'll pay for them at all) either cause it's not a proven product that rates.... And the loaned players aren't going to "get crowds" in the US (they often struggle to do that over here if we are honest), they are nobodies over there not celebrities.

So yeah unless you've got a bunch of billionaires hidden away somewhere that are willing to throw truly stupid amounts of money away for no return, or you know of a crazy American billionaire entrepreneur with the connections necessary to pull something like that off who's taken a liking to RL (keeping in mind that plenty of crazy American billionaire entrepreneurs who've attempted similar things still fail spectacularly most of the time) then it ain't happening...

The only way that RL can afford to crack the North American market is if the North American clubs can use the pre-existing structures in Eng and Aus as a crutch to prop themselves up until they've built a fan base big enough to support themselves independently.

Your right, their aren't 6-8 self funded clubs in North America... Yet!

If the Wolfpack are successful then others will follow given time, hell there are/were already parties interested in following Toronto's lead and you couldn't say whether or not the WP have been a successful venture yet.

Those other NA clubs never eventuated. The NY bid is fake. I’m all for the Wolfpack, but if you had 4 Billionaire owners you could set up a pro comp with far less barriers in NA.

La Liga just announced Facebook as their broadcaster for India. The rights might not be worth much, but access to 1B+ consumers is attractive for sponsors.

What I proposed would take a lot of hard work, but would be far longer lasting than another Wolfpack. The Wolfpack are now at the point where NO canadian players will play for them. They are based in Manchester the majority of the time, there is no quota dispensation for their non UK players to play on loan in League 1 or Championship AND the standard is too low in Ontario domestic competition.

So, can we just look at this critically, creatively AND strategically.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Sure but the reason why clubs want to enter the RFL pyramid is access to a higher quality competition. I suggested a way to create that in the NH. We just had Ontario play Chicago.
You could have Ontario, Mid West, North East and Florida based teams, taking the best from the local USARL/CRL teams and supported by a few Aus/NZ/Eng players for free. The local USARL teams only have to travel short distances, and the regiona pro club has reduced costs.

And it's not feasible cause the price of starting it up and getting it established (to a standard similar to what Toronto have achieved so far) would be way to high for it to be feasible for RL to pull off!

The only reason that the WP gets any exposure at all, and the only reason that they have money behind them at all, is cause of the idea that they are a trans-Atlantic team playing in a top flight competition on the other side of the world. If they don't have that then they never would have got any of the free publicity and exposure in their community that they have got so far and they wouldn't have attracted a 5th of the fans that they have, so to get that exposure they'd have had to pay for it instead of effectively getting it for free, and that is where the price blows out from costing tens of millions to prop the game up to costing billions in North America.

deal.with.it

Juniors
And it's not feasible cause the price of starting it up and getting it established (to a standard similar to what Toronto have achieved so far) would be way to high for it to be feasible for RL to pull off!

The only reason that the WP gets any exposure at all, and the only reason that they have money behind them at all, is cause of the idea that they are a trans-Atlantic team playing in a top flight competition on the other side of the world. If they don't have that then they never would have got any of the free publicity and exposure in their community that they have got so far and they wouldn't have attracted a 5th of the fans that they have, so to get that exposure they'd have had to pay for it instead of effectively getting it for free, and that is where the price blows out from costing tens of millions to prop the game up to costing billions in North America.

Yes I agree, but if Jax can get 1000 spectators and the Canada national team got 5000, surely that means the product is entertaining? Steal the beer garden idea and you could turn lower level RL matches into public events.

I sure as hell don’t have the answer, but I feel more comfortable planning for a 4-6 team Pro NA comp with amateur conferences feeding into the teams than 4-6 more NA teams entering the RFL system.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Those other NA clubs never eventuated.

Yet!

The NY bid is fake.

What makes it fake?

Cause it isn't proposed or run by people that you personally would prefer or that you would have expected?

Personally I wouldn't let them into the comp, cause to me they seem to completely underestimate what it would take to make their project successful, they don't have the expertise necessary to pull it off, and they don't have anywhere near the funding necessary to pull it off either, however that doesn't make their bid fake.

I’m all for the Wolfpack, but if you had 4 Billionaire owners you could set up a pro comp with far less barriers in NA.

No you couldn't, not if you wanted it's clubs to get the same exposure and support that the Wolfpack have got in Toronto, which is where the actual growth comes from...

You're massively underestimating how much it costs to crack the North American market.

La Liga just announced Facebook as their broadcaster for India. The rights might not be worth much, but access to 1B+ consumers is attractive for sponsors.

La Liga are starting from a much bigger base in India than RL would be in NA.

They are also an established brand attempting to expand their reach into a new market, that isn't what you are suggesting with your new comp, and the NRL and SL have already done the equivalent of what La Liga are doing in India, they both already sell their broadcasting right to American broadcasters (unless things have changed the NRL are on Fox Soccer Plus and SL is sold along with the Wolfpack rights).

What I proposed would take a lot of hard work, but would be far longer lasting than another Wolfpack. The Wolfpack are now at the point where NO canadian players will play for them. They are based in Manchester the majority of the time, there is no quota dispensation for their non UK players to play on loan in League 1 or Championship AND the standard is too low in Ontario domestic competition.

So, can we just look at this critically, creatively AND strategically.

All of this has a massive caveat saying YET next to it!
They're doing none of those things yet!

What the f**k did you expect, this stuff doesn't happen over night, a full juniors system with hundreds of kids playing in it doesn't appear overnight, having the financial base to be able to afford to base their players in Toronto wasn't going to happen overnight either!

All of that will come with time if they are successful and continue to grow their support, cause it is the support (the patrons buying their products) that brings in the funding necessary to pull those sorts of things off.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yes I agree, but if Jax can get 1000 spectators and the Canada national team got 5000, surely that means the product is entertaining? Steal the beer garden idea and you could turn lower level RL matches into public events.

I sure as hell don’t have the answer, but I feel more comfortable planning for a 4-6 team Pro NA comp with amateur conferences feeding into the teams than 4-6 more NA teams entering the RFL system.

Honestly all I can say is that you massively under-estimate what it would take and what it would cost to pull that sort of thing off in NA!

You should look into the Trials and tribulations that Soccer has gone through in the US for the last 50 years, and see what it took for them to get where they are, you'll completely rethink what you are saying if you did...

deal.with.it

Juniors
Honestly all I can say is that you massively under-estimate what it would take and what it would cost to pull that sort of thing off in NA!

You should look into the Trials and tribulations that Soccer has gone through in the US for the last 50 years, and see what it took for them to get where they are, you'll completely rethink what you are saying if you did...

I haven’t underestimated anything. It would be great to have a discussion based on objectivity rather than emotion. I’m sure your points come from a good place, and I honestly don’t know your experiences, but I know that I have almost 10 years of events and sport development experience. So my thoughts aren’t just popping up from a place of ignorance, naivety or stupidity.

But to clarify:
- It’ll be decades before there is Canadian players in Wolfpack, due to the RFLs current rules on quota players and DR
- MLR have published their costings and per team costings. My proposal would be far lower than that
- I’m well aware of soccer. You’ll also note the disorder of the governing body prior to the revamp into MLS. There was never a shortage of youth or adult players.
- I didn’t suggest a pro comp of 4-6 teams would have the same reach as the wolfpack. But tbh a lot of wolfpack’s strategies could be applied to gain engagement, particularly with the beer garden. Nonetheless, you could start a pro comp with 4-6 teams with less costs than all those teams entering the RFL system
- Perez’s proposal of 4-6 NA teams bolstered his proposal to have Wolfpack enter. This has not materialised and Perez has been punted from the Wolfpack.
- The NY bid is fake. It is run by a PE teacher who’s wife is more active on social media than she should be. They sure have conducted some “market research” in NY, but they do not have the connections or capital needed. They will NOT be entering a team in the RFL. Wilby was the f**king kit man for Catalans on the weekends and a PE teacher suring the week in the north of england. His “team” are just as useless!
- My comment about La Liga was that if you have 4-6 billionaires, start the comp in NA and broadcast free on Facebook for year 1. Based on your analytics, hit up sponsors as La Liga is doing. This disruption in the traditional broadcast industry. RL did exactly that back in 1895 and should be doing so today. Why the hell are we letting traditional sporting nations be more innovative than us?!
- I want to see the game grow and want to see more international teams in the RFL system. The problem is the SL powers don’t want that. They have told Red Star Belgrade exactly that. It’s absolutely mental! But what do you do? Would you spend $500k per year in League 1 if there was no chance of promotion?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I haven’t underestimated anything. It would be great to have a discussion based on objectivity rather than emotion.

I'm the one talking out of emotion!

You're the one talking about idyllic scenarios where a national RL competition can be set up in the US without it costing a cent (comparably to previous instances where similar things have been attempted) and overnight Americans will suddenly become massive fans of a sport they've never heard of and all will be well...

I’m sure your points come from a good place, and I honestly don’t know your experiences, but I know that I have almost 10 years of events and sport development experience. So my thoughts aren’t just popping up from a place of ignorance, naivety or stupidity.

BS you do!

You completely skip the most important step in trying to crack a new market to a sport/competition (or any product for that matter), creating a fan (consumer) base big enough and with enough interest to support the growth of the company!

But to clarify:
- It’ll be decades before there is Canadian players in Wolfpack, due to the RFLs current rules on quota players and DR

That's not necessarily bad thing... Just cause it's not as quick a process as you'd like doesn't mean that it's a bad way to do things.

Nor should the target of growing into NA be solely to attain a new playing pool anyway, so it's completely redundant. The players are a bonus, it's the fans and money that you are really after.

- MLR have published their costings and per team costings. My proposal would be far lower than that

That may be, but your league will face the exact same problem that MLR face and PRO Rugby before it faced: apathy.

That's where a Wolfpack style approach is better, cause it is a story that sells it's self to journalists and lends it's self well to free publicity...

- I’m well aware of soccer. You’ll also note the disorder of the governing body prior to the revamp into MLS. There was never a shortage of youth or adult players.

Again the focus on players!

Players are great, really they are, but they aren't what supports a competition, fans (patrons, paying customers, etc) are!

Soccer in the US, similar to here in Australia, had plenty of players, but most of those players were either A. kids playing the sport cause their parents (mum if we are being honest) thought it was safer but never really converted into fans of the product (the classic kid who is an AFL/NRL fan that plays soccer on the weekends cause mum won't let him play "dangerous" sports), or B. were fans of soccer, just not soccer in the US so they weren't patrons of the local team but their favorite team aboard, so the local MLS team or A-league team as the case may be never really sees their patronage.

Half of the US could be playing RL, that doesn't necessarily equate to them supporting local RL though...

- I didn’t suggest a pro comp of 4-6 teams would have the same reach as the wolfpack. But tbh a lot of wolfpack’s strategies could be applied to gain engagement, particularly with the beer garden. Nonetheless, you could start a pro comp with 4-6 teams with less costs than all those teams entering the RFL system

I'm sure you could, but it'll never take off because they'll never get the exposure necessary to be able to compete with established local products, i.e. they'll never attract enough fans to be sustainable.

That's where a Wolfpack style system excels, cause of the narrative they get tons of exposure (relatively to other similar projects) for free, where as a new national competition in the US wouldn't, they'd have to pay/work for that exposure and that is expensive, extremely expensive, especially in a market like the US where there's so much competition.

- Perez’s proposal of 4-6 NA teams bolstered his proposal to have Wolfpack enter. This has not materialised and Perez has been punted from the Wolfpack.

Except as I understand it that isn't true...

Perez wasn't "punted" from the WP, he stepped down to focus on helping other potential consortium's interested in joining the RFL...

What'd you expect a ton of clubs to join all within 2 and half years, give it some time...

- The NY bid is fake. It is run by a PE teacher who’s wife is more active on social media than she should be. They sure have conducted some “market research” in NY, but they do not have the connections or capital needed. They will NOT be entering a team in the RFL. Wilby was the f**king kit man for Catalans on the weekends and a PE teacher suring the week in the north of england. His “team” are just as useless!

Again that doesn't make them fake, it makes them misguided and a poor choice to invest into, but not fake.

They're still a bid, they'd still take a license if it was offered to them, etc, etc.

- My comment about La Liga was that if you have 4-6 billionaires, start the comp in NA and broadcast free on Facebook for year 1. Based on your analytics, hit up sponsors as La Liga is doing. This disruption in the traditional broadcast industry. RL did exactly that back in 1895 and should be doing so today. Why the hell are we letting traditional sporting nations be more innovative than us?!

I'm not really sure how this is really that applicable to what we are currently talking about...

If we were talking about e.g. the NRL trying to crack the US market then i'd see you're point and agree with it, but we aren't and it isn't really analogous to trying to set up a brand new professional competition in a new market playing a new sport with basically zero market penetration is it...

BTW, I've been saying for years that the NRL should upload all their games to Youtube (or wherever) so that they can be watched for free in lets say non-traditional markets...

- I want to see the game grow and want to see more international teams in the RFL system. The problem is the SL powers don’t want that. They have told Red Star Belgrade exactly that. It’s absolutely mental! But what do you do? Would you spend $500k per year in League 1 if there was no chance of promotion?

Again a big YET or ATM needs to be added on here.

Show them the potential for profit and they'll slowly change their minds, ATM the smaller clubs are threatened and the bigger clubs don't see the value (cause they haven't given the market time to grow), but as it does the money involved will slowly see the people in power change their minds.

Basically you're whole thing is that you are impatient... It's effectively been three years since this attempt to crack the NA market really started, and cause there hasn't been big growth in that time you're like 'holy shit it's failed, tear it down and try something new' when realistically the whole project is going to take decades and decades, the mere fact that the WP haven't fallen over and are still seeing slow but consistent growth is something to celebrate.

As for your idea, just like everybody else in the history of trying to crack the American sports market, form soccer, or bloody Disney and their Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, to the f**king LA Kiss (look it up it was real...), even the Wolfpack, you underestimate how much it'll cost, you're overly optimistic how many fans you'll attract from the get go, and you don't understand how long it'll actually take to establish yourself all the while you'll be at best treading water and bleeding money like somebody has cut all your arteries at once...

Anyway this is taking too long to respond to now, so I can't really be buggered anymore...

deal.with.it

Juniors
I'm the one talking out of emotion!

You're the one talking about idyllic scenarios where a national RL competition can be set up in the US without it costing a cent (comparably to previous instances where similar things have been attempted) and overnight Americans will suddenly become massive fans of a sport they've never heard of and all will be well...

BS you do!

You completely skip the most important step in trying to crack a new market to a sport/competition (or any product for that matter), creating a fan (consumer) base big enough and with enough interest to support the growth of the company!

That's not necessarily bad thing... Just cause it's not as quick a process as you'd like doesn't mean that it's a bad way to do things.

Nor should the target of growing into NA be solely to attain a new playing pool anyway, so it's completely redundant. The players are a bonus, it's the fans and money that you are really after.

That may be, but your league will face the exact same problem that MLR face and PRO Rugby before it faced: apathy.

That's where a Wolfpack style approach is better, cause it is a story that sells it's self to journalists and lends it's self well to free publicity...

Again the focus on players!

Players are great, really they are, but they aren't what supports a competition, fans (patrons, paying customers, etc) are!

Soccer in the US, similar to here in Australia, had plenty of players, but most of those players were either A. kids playing the sport cause their parents (mum if we are being honest) thought it was safer but never really converted into fans of the product (the classic kid who is an AFL/NRL fan that plays soccer on the weekends cause mum won't let him play "dangerous" sports), or B. were fans of soccer, just not soccer in the US so they weren't patrons of the local team but their favorite team aboard, so the local MLS team or A-league team as the case may be never really sees their patronage.

Half of the US could be playing RL, that doesn't necessarily equate to them supporting local RL though...

I'm sure you could, but it'll never take off because they'll never get the exposure necessary to be able to compete with established local products, i.e. they'll never attract enough fans to be sustainable.

That's where a Wolfpack style system excels, cause of the narrative they get tons of exposure (relatively to other similar projects) for free, where as a new national competition in the US wouldn't, they'd have to pay/work for that exposure and that is expensive, extremely expensive, especially in a market like the US where there's so much competition.

Except as I understand it that isn't true...

Perez wasn't "punted" from the WP, he stepped down to focus on helping other potential consortium's interested in joining the RFL...

What'd you expect a ton of clubs to join all within 2 and half years, give it some time...

Again that doesn't make them fake, it makes them misguided and a poor choice to invest into, but not fake.

They're still a bid, they'd still take a license if it was offered to them, etc, etc.

I'm not really sure how this is really that applicable to what we are currently talking about...

If we were talking about e.g. the NRL trying to crack the US market then i'd see you're point and agree with it, but we aren't and it isn't really analogous to trying to set up a brand new professional competition in a new market playing a new sport with basically zero market penetration is it...

BTW, I've been saying for years that the NRL should upload all their games to Youtube (or wherever) so that they can be watched for free in lets say non-traditional markets...

Again a big YET or ATM needs to be added on here.

Show them the potential for profit and they'll slowly change their minds, ATM the smaller clubs are threatened and the bigger clubs don't see the value (cause they haven't given the market time to grow), but as it does the money involved will slowly see the people in power change their minds.

Basically you're whole thing is that you are impatient... It's effectively been three years since this attempt to crack the NA market really started, and cause there hasn't been big growth in that time you're like 'holy shit it's failed, tear it down and try something new' when realistically the whole project is going to take decades and decades, the mere fact that the WP haven't fallen over and are still seeing slow but consistent growth is something to celebrate.

As for your idea, just like everybody else in the history of trying to crack the American sports market, form soccer, or bloody Disney and their Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, to the f**king LA Kiss (look it up it was real...), even the Wolfpack, you underestimate how much it'll cost, you're overly optimistic how many fans you'll attract from the get go, and you don't understand how long it'll actually take to establish yourself all the while you'll be at best treading water and bleeding money like somebody has cut all your arteries at once...

Anyway this is taking too long to respond to now, so I can't really be buggered anymore...

You’ve read me wrong, completely. I don’t see Wolfpack or the NA approach as a failure, nor am I impatient. I was simply trying to shed some light on some of the misguided comments. You can call BS on me, it has no effect. But you’re disregarding information because you already have your opinion formed on what is the best way forward, and it won’t be changed.

Sure, add “yet” to most of my comments. But whilst SL has employed Elstone and they move towards Licensing post-2021, it’s going to be a struggle.

hutch

First Grade
Hasn’t the Wolfpack already had a canadian born player in Quinn Ngawati? Pretty sure he played a few games last year before being loaned to an English lower division team.

deal.with.it

Juniors
He played against Fev a couple of weeks ago.
Hasn’t the Wolfpack already had a canadian born player in Quinn Ngawati? Pretty sure he played a few games last year before being loaned to an English lower division team.

He’s a Union player born to a NZ father. It might be tricky to get more of those. And unfortunately they are at risk of losing him because of quota rules and not having an academy team.

deluded pom?

Coach
He’s a Union player born to a NZ father. It might be tricky to get more of those. And unfortunately they are at risk of losing him because of quota rules and not having an academy team.
I don’t think TWP have helped themselves with their handling of Ngwati. He could and should have had a lot more game time than he has. TWP were playing games where it would have been unthinkable that they would lose. They could have had Ngwati on the bench and used him accordingly. I can see Ngwati asking for a release as I can’t see them using him much if they do go up.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Seriously. What’s happening with New York, Hamilton and Boston??? Is Perez still involved with helping setup these franchises??

Pommy

Coach
Seriously. What’s happening with New York, Hamilton and Boston??? Is Perez still involved with helping setup these franchises??

I don’t think Perez was ever involved in the New York bid that is or isn’t currently on the cards.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I don’t think Perez was ever involved in the New York bid that is or isn’t currently on the cards.
Yeah I’m sure he was just personally involved with another Canadian franchise rumoured to be Hamilton and was just aware of other potential teams from the US. Either way it’s far too late now for any new team from the US or Canada to be joining the U.K. league for the 2019 season.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I don’t think TWP have helped themselves with their handling of Ngwati. He could and should have had a lot more game time than he has. TWP were playing games where it would have been unthinkable that they would lose. They could have had Ngwati on the bench and used him accordingly. I can see Ngwati asking for a release as I can’t see them using him much if they do go up.

Agreed. Rowley and Noble have complained about Canadians taking quota spots through DR, but seriously they could have played Ngawati against the cellar dwellers.

jim_57

Staff member
Eric Perez "surfaced" during the week. Quoted as saying he is working on further expansion in North America with the aim of becoming CEO of a new club whilst keeping minority involvement in Toronto Wolfpack.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2018...ting-hours-before-the-million-pound-game.html

David Argyle also quoted as saying they are looking at taking early season games to European cities while it is too cold in Canada. Dublin, Copenhagen & Nice 'name dropped'.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...rugby-league-europe-cities-million-pound-game

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Eric Perez "surfaced" during the week. Quoted as saying he is working on further expansion in North America with the aim of becoming CEO of a new club whilst keeping minority involvement in Toronto Wolfpack.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2018...ting-hours-before-the-million-pound-game.html

David Argyle also quoted as saying they are looking at taking early season games to European cities while it is too cold in Canada. Dublin, Copenhagen & Nice 'name dropped'.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...rugby-league-europe-cities-million-pound-game
I wonder if Perez would be involved with a US franchise or just concentrate on Canada?

Latest posts