What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brooks

Tigerm

First Grade
Yes i agree. The reason this debate started was because some thought Cleary and Brooks are the same type of player and Nathan wasnt worth chasing and i think they are chalk and cheese and he is absolutely worth pursuing. We need him.
I would still like to look at Brooks as a 9. With NC at 7 & JR at 6.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
I am not sure why you need to define your halves roles and drill down to who controls the team.

For me they play either side these days, should both be able to run and if either is tackled on the last they should be able to get a decent kick away short or long. I think defining players as halfbacks and 5/8 is a bit redundant in today's game and as for who controls the team, they should all be on the same page before they run out, know their roles and be working together.

As for Saturday's game I watched live and am yet to see the replay but, I thought Brooks was not that bad, he did a bit of sideways running, but his defense was solid and he did ok for what he had to work with. On the other hand Benji was diabolical in defense, attack and also his kicking game, but he seems to have escaped any criticism at all here.

Tiger05

First Grade
I am not sure why you need to define your halves roles and drill down to who controls the team.

For me they play either side these days, should both be able to run and if either is tackled on the last they should be able to get a decent kick away short or long. I think defining players as halfbacks and 5/8 is a bit redundant in today's game and as for who controls the team, they should all be on the same page before they run out, know their roles and be working together.

As for Saturday's game I watched live and am yet to see the replay but, I thought Brooks was not that bad, he did a bit of sideways running, but his defense was solid and he did ok for what he had to work with. On the other hand Benji was diabolical in defense, attack and also his kicking game, but he seems to have escaped any criticism at all here.

Exactly. Robbie was even worse than Benji mainly because Robbie overplayed his hand massively.

Brooks and Mbye are our two best players. I think we should be building around these guys. I think we need a top quality centre and a top quality middle forward. The next option would be a top quality edge forward.

Then we need to start looking at the halves.

I am though hopeful that Liddle and Reynolds will do the job for us over the next couple of years. I'm not worried about Brooks and Mbye as I think they are already performing.

stryker

First Grade

Skills wise I agree but you must have a controller otherwise you suffer too many cooks in the kitchen. As an example, look at Thurston and Morgan. Individualy two of the games best but as a partnership these days they are poison together. When they won the comp Morgo was the attacking weapon and Thursto ran the team. It worked well. Fast forward a couple of years and Morgo was forced to run the team due to a JT injury. He ran the team and someone else became the attacker and it worked well. Put them together this year where they both tried to shot call and they spoil each other. Their runners are confused and out of position..even their defence structures are all over the shop. A team containing two of the best playmakers, surrounded by rep players and tonnes of experience could go close to the spoon. Once one of them dropped out of the team, the other took back control and the team started playing better footy. I think this new age stuff of they play both sides and are the same player is bullshit. One has to be the dominant player and that player must be the controller, not the weapon. Brooks isnt a dominant controlling player and as a result Benji and Robbie walk all over him. They are both now trying to shot call along with him and our attack looks shithouse.

On the other hand Benji was diabolical in defense, attack and also his kicking game, but he seems to have escaped any criticism at all here.
Good point Crazyperpman, for me, I don't talk about him because I do not think of him, I have said in a few games this year with watching the games with mates "Is Marshall playing today?"

He played well in how many games this year? He's the self appointed mentor, I have thought that he's actually a major weakness.

He was expected (as has been previously stated) to play 10 games this year, at the start of the year I though that this was going to be 5 too many but granted, he did well in a few games.

I'd sign Benji next year as a marketing person, he's media savvy, the media love him and I think he could bring some dollars in, in a marketing role.

But that's my opinion.

Last edited:

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Skills wise I agree but you must have a controller otherwise you suffer too many cooks in the kitchen. As an example, look at Thurston and Morgan. Individualy two of the games best but as a partnership these days they are poison together. When they won the comp Morgo was the attacking weapon and Thursto ran the team. It worked well. Fast forward a couple of years and Morgo was forced to run the team due to a JT injury. He ran the team and someone else became the attacker and it worked well. Put them together this year where they both tried to shot call and they spoil each other. Their runners are confused and out of position..even their defence structures are all over the shop. A team containing two of the best playmakers, surrounded by rep players and tonnes of experience could go close to the spoon. Once one of them dropped out of the team, the other took back control and the team started playing better footy. I think this new age stuff of they play both sides and are the same player is bullshit. One has to be the dominant player and that player must be the controller, not the weapon. Brooks isnt a dominant controlling player and as a result Benji and Robbie walk all over him. They are both now trying to shot call along with him and our attack looks shithouse.

I dont think I agree. When NQ won the comp the team was all on the same page. I am not sure how much you are remembering or you are just trying to make a point but the controlling of the team was Morgan & JT, kicking and running was all shared which is kind of the point I am trying to make.

Just curious who was the controlling half for QLD during their run? Thurston was just a runner (Weapon) while Cronk was in control of the team. Not in any game I can remember. Or was it Cameron Smith? They worked together & controlled the game together and more to the point as a team. If one HAS to be the dominant player, how did this work so well?

I also dont think its new age bullshit that teams are structured left or right. The game has changed. There are no longer inside and outside centres. You have a middle and edge. Attack is structured to the point where every player has a channel to run (and defend). Like it or not this is the way the game is played. Each half "Controls" their side. This is just fact, I dont know how else to explain it.

If this is about Brooks, I think he has done ok this year. I didnt expect him to play Origin but at the same time I wasn't a deathrider expecting Gamble in first grade after 4 rounds. He has progressed which is what you want to see. He is by no means where we would want him but he deserves a go based on what he has shown this year. I think we have bigger fish to fry rather than singling out Brooks when he those around him were so bad. I can live with a spine of Brooks, Reynolds, Mbye & Liddle and concentrate on the areas we need to fix.

Going all in for NC will end in tears if you dont have the team around him to do something. NC is "potentially" the best half to come along in a while and if we get a chance at signing him we should but what if he doesn't want to come? That would be a shame.

I think for this we will need to respectfully agree to disagree on this one.

stryker

First Grade
I dont think I agree. When NQ won the comp the team was all on the same page. I am not sure how much you are remembering or you are just trying to make a point but the controlling of the team was Morgan & JT, kicking and running was all shared which is kind of the point I am trying to make.

Just curious who was the controlling half for QLD during their run? Thurston was just a runner (Weapon) while Cronk was in control of the team. Not in any game I can remember. Or was it Cameron Smith? They worked together & controlled the game together and more to the point as a team. If one HAS to be the dominant player, how did this work so well?

I also dont think its new age bullshit that teams are structured left or right. The game has changed. There are no longer inside and outside centres. You have a middle and edge. Attack is structured to the point where every player has a channel to run (and defend). Like it or not this is the way the game is played. Each half "Controls" their side. This is just fact, I dont know how else to explain it.

If this is about Brooks, I think he has done ok this year. I didnt expect him to play Origin but at the same time I wasn't a deathrider expecting Gamble in first grade after 4 rounds. He has progressed which is what you want to see. He is by no means where we would want him but he deserves a go based on what he has shown this year. I think we have bigger fish to fry rather than singling out Brooks when he those around him were so bad. I can live with a spine of Brooks, Reynolds, Mbye & Liddle and concentrate on the areas we need to fix.

Going all in for NC will end in tears if you dont have the team around him to do something. NC is "potentially" the best half to come along in a while and if we get a chance at signing him we should but what if he doesn't want to come? That would be a shame.

I would still like to look at Brooks as a 9. With NC at 7 & JR at 6.

My memory is fine pal. When the cowbooys won the comp, EVERYTHING went through JT. He touched the ball 4 times a set. Every set. There was very little to no sharing of playmaking duties either side of the field. Thursto unequivocaly ran the show whilst Morgan was allowed off the leash when the time was right.

Qld worked so well because they had the unbelievable luck of having a team stacked with future hall of famers and immortals. Some of the teams they put out would have won world cups. However even in that setup, someone led them around the park doing the dirty work to gain field position and even though it was juggled around a bit, Cronk and Smith were the main guys for this. Its no coincidence that in the 2 series NSW won over the past 13 years Cronk did not feature. He is hugely underrated in terms of orchestrating those years of football dominance.

As for Cleary, I would rather try and get him and fail than make excuses to not have a go. I have no doubt he will kill it here and make players like Brooks, Liddle, Reynolds and Mbye better, more rounded and deadly.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Do you even read what you type? Which is it, you must have one guy in charge or you can have more if capable?

Skills wise I agree but you must have a controller otherwise you suffer too many cooks in the kitchen.

someone led them around the park doing the dirty work to gain field position and even though it was juggled around a bit,.

I dont think anyone is saying not to go after N Cleary but if you think he will come and success will just follow without addressing other obvious issues in this team you are in for a shock,

stryker

First Grade
Do you even read what you type? Which is it, you must have one guy in charge or you can have more if capable?

I dont think anyone is saying not to go after N Cleary but if you think he will come and success will just follow without addressing other obvious issues in this team you are in for a shock,
I do.
I was replying to your analogies. You are wrong about the cowboys and the QLD team were an anomalie hardly representative of our squad or the NRL in general. However even within that anomalie I pointed out that Cronk played a major role that a lot did not notice. Usualy the players im talking about do have their contributions glossed over. Thats how a player like NC gets talked down and yes ive read many opinions on football forums including here who do this. By the way your last paragraph is ridiculous. Of course we need to strengthen other areas. I never once indicated I thought we didnt.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
I do.
I was replying to your analogies. You are wrong about the cowboys and the QLD team were an anomalie hardly representative of our squad or the NRL in general. However even within that anomalie I pointed out that Cronk played a major role that a lot did not notice. Usualy the players im talking about do have their contributions glossed over. Thats how a player like NC gets talked down and yes ive read many opinions on football forums including here who do this. By the way your last paragraph is ridiculous. Of course we need to strengthen other areas. I never once indicated I thought we didnt.

So your point is your point until it isn't and then its explained away as an "anomaly"?

Bottom line even if NC came here it would not be until 2020 and underlying that is the fact that he may not be coming at all. Banging on about Brooks and singling him out on a regular basis is getting old. Your not a fan, everyone here knows it, thats fine this is a forum and you are entitled to your opinion but the point is made. Dont be the guy at the pub still talking when his mates have already gone home.

stryker

First Grade
So your point is your point until it isn't and then its explained away as an "anomaly"?

Bottom line even if NC came here it would not be until 2020 and underlying that is the fact that he may not be coming at all. Banging on about Brooks and singling him out on a regular basis is getting old. Your not a fan, everyone here knows it, thats fine this is a forum and you are entitled to your opinion but the point is made. Dont be the guy at the pub still talking when his mates have already gone home.
Hahaha you cant stand people having an opinion? At first you were "agree to disagree" now you are abusive. Classic signs of a lost discussion. It obviously burns a hole in your guts as you keep replying lol have fun with that.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Hahaha you cant stand people having an opinion? At first you were "agree to disagree" now you are abusive. Classic signs of a lost discussion. It obviously burns a hole in your guts as you keep replying lol have fun with that.

Abusive? For real?

I think you have massively overestimated yourself and your ability to intelligently discuss Rugby League. No burning, no holes and it would be very boring indeed if we all shared the same opinion. One of the best things about this board as apposed to others is that people's opinions are by whole respected.

The fact that you seem to get some satisfaction here shows a bit of a void in you my little friend as it is you that keeps replying to me. Scroll up and you can see who replied to who first..

Happy to continue talking footy although you are absolutely out of your depth here but if you want an internet argument find someone else, not interested.

stryker

First Grade
Abusive? For real?

I think you have massively overestimated yourself and your ability to intelligently discuss Rugby League. No burning, no holes and it would be very boring indeed if we all shared the same opinion. One of the best things about this board as apposed to others is that people's opinions are by whole respected.

The fact that you seem to get some satisfaction here shows a bit of a void in you my little friend as it is you that keeps replying to me. Scroll up and you can see who replied to who first..

Happy to continue talking footy although you are absolutely out of your depth here but if you want an internet argument find someone else, not interested.
Ive discussed league with you and told you where you are mistaken. If you dont want to talk about Cleary then leave the thread as we were discussing him well before you showed up and bored us with your "opinion"

Tigerm

First Grade
Congratulations Luke on being Dally M half for this season, polled well too.

DALLY M FINAL LEADERBOARD

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Warriors) — 29 votes

Kalyn Ponga (Knights) — 27 votes

Luke Brooks (Tigers) — 26 votes

Valentine Holmes (Sharks) — 25 votes

Mitchell Pearce (Knights) — 23 votes

Tiger Woody

Juniors
I have no idea how he came 3rd...Did that really happen?
Good first 6 games, then went missing the rest of the season.
Noticed he hasn’t been re-signed yet:thinking:. Interesting.

Perth Tiger

Bench
So any word on if/when we have offered a contract or opened negotiations?

I have a bad feeling that this is going to turn into another messy situation and will harm us all season long and then probably see him sign elsewhere.

I am guessing the halfback of the year award will have jacked up his price to around $800K a season

Latest posts