What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Win Buys stake in St George Illawarra

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
St George Illawarra defend process that delivered Johnston as CEO
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/st...elivered-johnston-as-ceo-20180820-p4zykr.html

___________________________________________________________________________________

Actual comment ...............

"WIN has long partnered with the Steelers to bring world-class rugby
league to the Illawarra and we want that legacy to continue,"

Actual meaning .........

"If we continue we bury our heads in the sand with inadequate
coaching appointments and management, we can continue that legacy."

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So they pay ten of thousands of dollars to a recruitment agency, put applicants through the costs and trouble of applying, arrange appointments for the interview process.
Then appoint an old boy who didn’t apply for the job and was head of the committee in change of the appointment.

Only at the Dragons.
Plenty of times, across numerous industries, have companies run external recruitment processes only to take someone internal.

Hell, I'm sure there would be people on here who have applied for jobs, gone through 2 or 3 stages of interviews only to lose out to a last minute 'internal candidate'.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
___________________________________________________________________________________

Actual meaning .........

"If we continue we bury our heads in the sand with inadequate
coaching appointments and management, we can continue that legacy."

What some folks on here read .........

"We are teaming up with the evil Steelers to further steal away St George's identity and history. In time history will recognise Illawarra's mighty 11 in a row premiership run. MWUAHAHAHAHAHA"

Carlton

Juniors
In this article Roy Masters says that St George could have repaid the loan to the NRL and wanted to but the NRL didn't want them to be in a dominant position and insisted that Illawarra have 50% equity. It also states there was a genuine interest to buy from USA but it was felt it was better to stay with bid from the local area.

NRL pushing for WIN/Illawarra and WIN pushing for one of the boys as CEO. The NRL have their money but whats changed?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...gons-for-a-bright-future-20180820-p4zykk.html

True_Believer

Juniors
So they pay ten of thousands of dollars to a recruitment agency, put applicants through the costs and trouble of applying, arrange appointments for the interview process.
Then appoint an old boy who didn’t apply for the job and was head of the committee in change of the appointment.

Only at the Dragons.

He called it a "merger". Didn't read too much into it after that.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Plenty of times, across numerous industries, have companies run external recruitment processes only to take someone internal.

Hell, I'm sure there would be people on here who have applied for jobs, gone through 2 or 3 stages of interviews only to lose out to a last minute 'internal candidate'.

Someone please correct me if l’m wrong but aren’t all businesses required by law to advertise every position?
Often than not, they appoint from within with no intention of any external influence but advertise only because of the laws.

denis preston

First Grade
In this article Roy Masters says that St George could have repaid the loan to the NRL and wanted to but the NRL didn't want them to be in a dominant position and insisted that Illawarra have 50% equity. It also states there was a genuine interest to buy from USA but it was felt it was better to stay with bid from the local area.

NRL pushing for WIN/Illawarra and WIN pushing for one of the boys as CEO. The NRL have their money but whats changed?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...gons-for-a-bright-future-20180820-p4zykk.html

Another great to the point Masters piece. I was not aware that the Leagues clubs trading is on a upward curve ( wouldn't think so if you listened to some here ) Are their contributions to the football club also on the increase ? If so than don't mind Piggott being on the board.

I'm not sure that's the same thing as appointing someone who didn't actually apply for the job.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm not sure that's the same thing as appointing someone who didn't actually apply for the job.
Why not? Last job I was in was advertised externally. I got the role after a tap on the shoulder.. I didn’t even apply, it was more of them convincing me.

It happens..

And it happens even more so at CEO level..

Why not? Last job I was in was advertised externally. I got the role after a tap on the shoulder.. I didn’t even apply, it was more of them convincing me.

It happens..

And it happens even more so at CEO level..

I don't see a problem with what has taken place.

1) Illawarra was not willing to sell to St.George Leagues Club and were only willing to sell to WIN Corp to protect Illawarra's interest in the JV
2) WIN Corp was asked to invest $10M without securing board control. That is a huge leap of faith. To take that leap, they wanted Johnston, who they trusted implicitly to be CEO.
3) Johnston is well qualified for the role and previously only relinquished it because of illness. More than happy to have him in this role.

Well if you say it’s all good and there’s nothing to see here, I’ll move along.

Latest posts