What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the St. George-Illawarra Dragons chokers?

BestHookerRein

Juniors
Legit, would you say Mary is one of the best 16 coaches in the world?

Its the same old story every year. f**k, look at McInnes. Playing well, Origin talk came his way. We even gave Robson some game time in case we lost him through Origin. I wouldn’t even say he is a shadow of that form now. Whats less than a shadow?

Mick Benson

Juniors
Oh absolutely and he will rightfully out of a job in 2019. I just think there is some pretty deep seated issues at the club and sacking McGregor won’t fix them all.
I don’t think they’re going to sack him. Otherwise I agree completely

Surely Mary has to go at the end of the season. The bloke has had how many seasons in charge and it's the same story every year. Pick up wins early on when it's about ball control, fitness & defense, then when teams start to hit their attacking stride they get blown out of the water. It's safe to say he has no idea how to pace his squad through an entire season. The only reason the man is still in a job is because they start the seasons so well they usually in the top 8 the whole way through the season, and are either week 1 cannon fodder or miss out in the final round.

ek999

First Grade
Their attack today was on a whole new level of mediocre today. It was worse than any Desball offered up by the Bulldogs last year

Cockosh

Juniors
Unfortunately for the dragons it’s just part of their identity. If you take a really close look at their logo the dragon is choking, so is the knight and the horse is most definitely choking.
They should’ve went with the Steeler.

jargan83

Coach
Several media outlets were pushing the line, which I assume was reinforced by the Dragons themselves was that this year Mary finally got the team that he wanted. Unfortunately based on this I reckon he will be there again next year.

Watch the club come out and try to spin qualifying for finals as a positive regardless of being 1st/2nd when Origin rolled around and failing miserably in the back end of the season.

Life's Good

Coach
Unfortunately for the dragons it’s just part of their identity. If you take a really close look at their logo the dragon is choking, so is the knight and the horse is most definitely choking.
They should’ve went with the Steeler.

Interesting observation. Allow me to offer my retort

Since the formation of the NRL in 1998 the Roosters have been in 6 Grand Finals, winning 2 for a 33% strike rate.
The Dragons have been in 2 Grand Finals, winning 1 for a 50% strike rate.
In that time we also have a 100% strike rate in Grand Finals vs. the Roosters, therefore,
Roosters choke >>>> Michael Hutchence choke.

Please pass this to Albert Rosentard.

TheFrog

Coach
I'm talking about 2018 here, his form is so bad he is playing in the Reggies and no-one wants him for 2019.
He's been on the nose with Green all year, and he seems to be asking the sort of money he commanded after winning the comp. Super League his next step, maybe?

Cockosh

Juniors
Interesting observation. Allow me to offer my retort

Since the formation of the NRL in 1998 the Roosters have been in 6 Grand Finals, winning 2 for a 33% strike rate.
The Dragons have been in 2 Grand Finals, winning 1 for a 50% strike rate.
In that time we also have a 100% strike rate in Grand Finals vs. the Roosters, therefore,
Roosters choke >>>> Michael Hutchence choke.

Please pass this to Albert Rosentard.
Why destroy a light hearted attempt at a friendly dig with percentages? You gotta admit they do look like they’re choking.

TheFrog

Coach
Legit, would you say Mary is one of the best 16 coaches in the world?
Of course not, but didn't he have that side firing at the half way mark. Like us, you have no alternative but to follow your struggling team and hope for miracles. I think they must be carrying lots of injuries, it is the only explanation.

Grapple

Bench
Yeah it's fitness. The start of the year they steamrolled through the middle, now they play sideways ball.