What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the St. George-Illawarra Dragons chokers?

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Worst late season collapse that I can remember.

In terms of how good they were early on and how bad they are now I would have to agree.

I went to the Anzac Day game, they were awesome. They didn’t get a lot of possession but it didn’t bother them, their defence was rock solid and on the few occasions they got good field position they scored and won easily.

The following week they towelled up the storm and were competition favourites.

Since then it’s been steadily downhill and they’re now pretty much a rabble.

I get that they are probably burnt out and carrying injuries but I still don’t understand how they can detoriate to that level. Once their early season aura starts to wear off they just seem to lose all confidence.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
So what happens to McGregor? He has another year on his contract right?

But what’s the point of another year of the same? I think he and the team are so scarred by the annual slide that it’s inevitable now. As soon as they start to lose a few games they start to think “look out here we go again” and lose all confidence and there’s no way to avoid it.

They really need a change and a fresh start.

Tommy Smith

Referee
How about the Dragons fan burning the Red V jersey?

Talk about over the top. That sort of behaviour is normally reserved for the streets of Lahore when Inzy runs out Shahid Afridi for 0.

What a feral, disrespectful set of fans!

carcharias

Immortal
Did Aitken??? ( centre) do his hammy yesterday?
I saw him grabbing it and laying on the ground as some dogs player cruised past him on the way to the try line.

Did Aitken??? ( centre) do his hammy yesterday?
I saw him grabbing it and laying on the ground as some dogs player cruised past him on the way to the try line.

Yep, Aitken injured his hamstring and had to come off. That's why Dufty was sent on as early in the game as he was.

_Johnsy

Referee
They certainly do manage to fall off a cliff year after year with McGregor.

Rounds 1 to 9 they were 8 from 9 with a +142 points differential
Since then they've been 7 from 15 with a -105 differential

Seems pretty obvious McGregor just puts too much emphasis on starting the season strongly. Its the same thing every year with him. They get off to a flyer by playing with more intensity than everyone else but inevitably they can't maintain it and the wheels start to fall off after about 10 rounds.

This is what I don’t get.Brilliant early season form, you would expect professional athletes to improve with the same structures & combinations in place over the remainder of they year. For the last 3 years our side has worsened with said structures over the back end of the regular competition. It honestly defies logic.

Cogburn

Juniors
How does the maths work when you expand the search to include all finals matches rather than Grand Finals?

I reckon we're dead set f**king even tbh

But as we have 19 Minor Premierships and 13 Premierships whilst you have a mere 16 Minor Premierships to your 16 Premierships, I reckon our record of shitting our dacks historically can't be touched. Forever under our dung heap!

But then I look at your 29 Grand Final appearances to your 16 Premierships and I realise you've shat your dacks on the big day 13 times. That's a big day shit yerself rate of 45%
Whereas the Roosters have had 22 Grand Final appearances for 13 Premierships, so our tally of 9 big day failures means we have a shit yerself rate of 41%, so we are under your dung heap

So in summary, we should be growing roses.
Mate get it right. St George Illawarra Sox have 1 premiership.

blaza88z

Coach
It's hard to imagine they've faded again just because of how good they were early in the season, they've fallen off in past seasons but this year they seemingly had as good a side as there is going around

Mary will be doing well to keep his job next season

Joeboy

Juniors
Dufty is the biggest ball hog in the comp, runs across field and cramps everyone.

Guy murders overlaps on the reg.

ragzouken

Juniors
Forwards no longer making any meters no one is making post contact metres or tackle breaks, really shines the light on that backline no one does the hard yards coming out of trouble, nightingale was the only one who could now he is dead.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
It's happened several times now over a few years and the key common ingredient seems to be the coach.
You know, the Dragons were chokers when McGregor was an assistant coach too. Come to think of it, we were kinda chokers when he was playing as well. In fact - I believe the only period we didn't choke was when Uncle Wayne finally booted the loser from the club entirely. Hmm... coincidence?

Lambretta

First Grade
Mate get it right. St George Illawarra Sox have 1 premiership.

Nah, 16
If anyone thinks that St George aren't St George needs their heads read (I know people like to wind up Dragons fans but meh) Yes they merged, but that merger was nothing more than an expansion of St George

Same colours, same badge, same people, same fans.

Latest posts