What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Newcastle revamp?

Coastbloke

Bench
Anyone hear any rumours about this?

Real NRL club mergers. Couple of Central Coast teams. Lower Hunter grade promotions to a new comp.. :open_mouth:

Coastbloke

Bench
Well, the Real NRL has released their draw for 2019 and the rumoured changes are most definitely not happening.

My source in that part if the world is consistently poor..lol

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Already seen a handful of complaints about the draw, mostly around the free weekends being so early in the season.

Stallion

First Grade
Lol, I thinkk the first break is straight after rnd 1.. :sweat_smile:

This is a poorly run District rugby league competition! In 1987 I watched South Newcastle play Lakes United in the District grandfinal at No1 sports ground with 16000 in attendance. This year the same clubs played in front of 5500 at McDonald Jones stadium (Knights home ground ). Totally innapropriate ground for a local competition decider. Conversely the Lower Hunter competition (formerly 2nd division is booming in club numbers and interest) This comp plays their grandfinal at No1 sportsground and on Saturdays. ( appropriate venue and day of play for local comps)
Notably the Newcastle area were the last region in NSW to take up the very popular leaguetag competition. (3 to 4 years ago) Nowadays a thriving women's tag comp is enjoyed by both league's. And the womens contact version is starting to become an option these days.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
On ABC radio today coach of Cessnock Goannas Briggs mentioned that " the Cessnock fans would have turned up more in numbers if the grand final was staged on Saturday...." Something the administrators of this competition should take note of.
In addition to this: last week the LHRL grandfinals boasted very good crowds in Raymond Terrace and Waratah oval. All games played on the Saturday. I was at a junior soccer presentation this morning and no one was aware the district rugby league grand final was on at Macdonald Jones stadium today. Just some on the ground information for those who may care.

Last edited:

Coastbloke

Bench
Read a article this week online Newcastle Herald, that this restructure could now occur in 2021 because of basic fart arsing around..

There was no mention of merging Real NRL clubs, just talk of CCDRL clubs joining the Newcastle comp..

Coastbloke

Bench
FTLOG does anyone have info on the CCDRL Comp?

I’ve asked twice on the CCDRL FB page but it’s obviously run by a 90 year old stalwart who can’t remember the on button...

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Are you talking about the combined central coast / Newcastle comp. That starts this weekend by the looks of it

Coastbloke

Bench
Are you talking about the combined central coast / Newcastle comp. That starts this weekend by the looks of it

No just the CCDRL comp. I've already seen the 'Real NRL' draw.

I wish there was a combined CCDRL/Newcastle comp (besides the A-D grades which have a wider Hunter/Lake Mac/CC presence)

Latest posts