What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL winning the PR war

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Capture.JPG I subscribe to the Telegraph online (I know, glutton for punishment) and the main thing I notice is that the pages are always covered with AFL ads. Here's what I woke up to today. People are always wondering why the Swans get good crowds in Sydney, well this isn't the main reason but just an example of the AFL getting the 1% things right, and this isn't just today, it's almost every day and usually they are helped by some sort of negative NRL headline in the middle. I wonder if the papers in Melbourne are covered with ads for the Storm?

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
Steve Mascord pointed out on Twitter a while ago that the NRL suffers in part from a fundamentally different media culture between Melbourne and Sydney. Basically it's the NRL's bad luck to be headquartered in a town where sensationalised, gossipy tabloid garbage is what passes for news and opinions. Ripping the NRL apart is what shifts (fewer and fewer thankfully) units and this is also reflected and reinforced by maggots such as Paul Kent on the TV shows.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
VFL does the little things really well...

I have a lot of respect for the people running that game. I would really love to follow a Comp that is so well run. The problem is that tthey just play such a fundamentally shitty game.

Steve Mascord pointed out on Twitter a while ago that the NRL suffers in part from a fundamentally different media culture between Melbourne and Sydney. Basically it's the NRL's bad luck to be headquartered in a town where sensationalised, gossipy tabloid garbage is what passes for news and opinions. Ripping the NRL apart is what shifts (fewer and fewer thankfully) units and this is also reflected and reinforced by maggots such as Paul Kent on the TV shows.
This has been known for decades. However I agree with the point.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Yet conversely, their constant exaggeration of the popularity and playing numbers has led foxtel to massively overpay for TV rights, and given the very poor return they've reaped in exchange for big money you can bet the farm that next time the rights are up for grabs news corp will remember that.

That and the fact poor Rupes (hardly) got his nose all out of joint.

It's a matter of whether fraud is acceptable behaviour or not. RL clearly doesn't think it is, the AFL aren't the least bit concerned by it.

See the current Gil/Peter Dutton show as an example.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
That and the fact poor Rupes (hardly) got his nose all out of joint.

It's a matter of whether fraud is acceptable behaviour or not. RL clearly doesn't think it is, the AFL aren't the least bit concerned by it.

See the current Gil/Peter Dutton show as an example.
Absolutely. AFL has a long history of sweeping problems under the rug, while rugby league addresses them publicly. The sharks and the way they handled the peptide issue compared to how the AFL did so was a sadly rare example of honesty working instead of sweeping sweepings. it's not about honesty but perception, unfortunately.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
VFL does the little things really well...

I have a lot of respect for the people running that game. I would really love to follow a Comp that is so well run. The problem is that tthey just play such a fundamentally shitty game.
Naaaa they rig everything, it's all an illusion.
RL people wouldn't put up with an unfair advantage for a start.

In the long run, it'll damage their product even more.

View attachment 22868 I subscribe to the Telegraph online (I know, glutton for punishment) and the main thing I notice is that the pages are always covered with AFL ads. Here's what I woke up to today. People are always wondering why the Swans get good crowds in Sydney, well this isn't the main reason but just an example of the AFL getting the 1% things right, and this isn't just today, it's almost every day and usually they are helped by some sort of negative NRL headline in the middle. I wonder if the papers in Melbourne are covered with ads for the Storm?
I'm convinced slothfield is on Vicky Kicky's pay roll

Marlins

Juniors
Steve Mascord pointed out on Twitter a while ago that the NRL suffers in part from a fundamentally different media culture between Melbourne and Sydney. Basically it's the NRL's bad luck to be headquartered in a town where sensationalised, gossipy tabloid garbage is what passes for news and opinions. Ripping the NRL apart is what shifts (fewer and fewer thankfully) units and this is also reflected and reinforced by maggots such as Paul Kent on the TV shows.[/QUOT
Nailed it

Brutus

Referee
The AFL has gone full-tilt into promoting it's game in Sydney, It must spend an absolute huge amount of money doing so. It will still get crap TV ratings though... what percentage of people in Sydney could name a single GWS player?

I can. Nancy Fumbles

Diesel

Coach
View attachment 22868 I subscribe to the Telegraph online (I know, glutton for punishment) and the main thing I notice is that the pages are always covered with AFL ads. Here's what I woke up to today. People are always wondering why the Swans get good crowds in Sydney, well this isn't the main reason but just an example of the AFL getting the 1% things right, and this isn't just today, it's almost every day and usually they are helped by some sort of negative NRL headline in the middle. I wonder if the papers in Melbourne are covered with ads for the Storm?
Have you contacted the DT with your feedback?
As subscriber, you should be given the courtesy of a reply

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
The AFL has gone full-tilt into promoting it's game in Sydney, It must spend an absolute huge amount of money doing so. It will still get crap TV ratings though... what percentage of people in Sydney could name a single GWS player?

That's the short sighted approach to expansion. The Swans had horrible crowd and exposure numbers 20-25 years ago but have now built up to a respectable base support for a secondary code in the city. Expansion is a 20 year commitment and too often sporting codes will expect too much too early from an expansion team and their measure of 'success'. There is a significant investment early on to any new team and it takes a great amount of patience to stick that out and not bow down to external pressure to pull the pin. NRL on the GC seems to be slowly making traction after some turbulent years and indicates that with time, it can prove to be a successful expansion.

It is time for you guiys to realise that while you are sitting on your roofs drinking island coolers; the AFL has walked into Sydney and stolen the momentum and the NRL will never ever get it back.

You guys are kind of soft in the head. Why don't you stand up for yourselves?

AFL is killing the NRL all around Australia.

no, there is virtually no coverage of the Storm. One small article on Ryan Hoffman.

The Storm are no 1 on the NRL ladder and the NRL do NOTHING to try and promote or help us.

The NRL administration seriously have nfi.

Latest posts