What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonthan Thurston's last game

davi

Juniors
As mentioned the game is a sellout. I thought some on this forum would be pleased considering Gold Coast attendance is patchy.

Gus Gould made an interesting point on his podcast that he spoke to Thurston and he said he looked mentally drained the other night on 100% Footy. You could argue he went one season too long, but Cowboys were tipped to win the Grand Final at the start of the year. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

Cowboys are favorites on sportsbet, but Gould seems to think Titans will take the money.

t-ba

Post Whore
They will fit right in.
Like a hand in a glove.

It's at this moment you can pin point my heart breaking

tumblr_njmfpmUyAe1tszwcio1_500.gif

callmack1

Staff member
Farewell to the greatest player of all time, the player of a generation. JT is an absoulute champion, the best we've ever seen and probably ever will see. He is just such a competitor and I don't think I have ever seen a game where he didn't give 100%, probably even more. Whatever the situation in the game, he'd always be the first one there to do it for his teammates.

Such a cool, passionate guy too that has made almost as big of an impression off the field as he has on it.

He has literally done it all in a massive career and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person. What he has done for the game is incredible and he'll be an immortal for sure.

Gonna be a sad but also really cool game tonight, his final game. Farewell JT, the end of an era.

JT's career tribute: https://www.instagram.com/tv/BnGWN1yHIYV/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=p0sfu3zuvzwh

Players play tribute to Thurston: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/29/players-pay-tribute-to-thurston/

Last edited:
Never seen so much commotion over a players final game. Didn’t realize he was the first person to retire from rugby league

I think a lot of it is because they're out of the finals race. The comparable players are Joey, Freddy & Locky. Joey retired midseason due to an injury, whilst the other 2 went deep into the finals so there was no commotion with either. There is not a lot of commotion about Billy either, who is in a finals race. Aside from JT's retirement what else is there to talk about with the Cows this season.

David brown

Juniors
Farewell to the greatest player of all time, the player of a generation. JT is an absoulute champion, the best we've ever seen and probably ever will see. He is just such a competitor and I don't think I have ever seen a game where he didn't give 100%, probably even more. Such a cool, passionate guy too that has made almost as big of an impression off the field as he has on it.

He has literally done it all in a massive career and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person. What he has done for the game is incredible.

Gonna be a sad but also really cool game tonight, his final game. Farewell JT, the end of an era.
Very competitive post well done...

King hit

Coach
Must be why Johns played half his rep footy at hooker.

He was halfback in the 1996 series. He wore 9 in name only. When the Blues we’re defending he was smashing up the Axe and the Maroons forwards and when the Blues had the ball Toovey was making his trademark spurts from dummy half with Johns at halfback organising and laying on pin point kicks. He was used as hooker in 97 because he was so good at it in 96 he beat Alf 3-0.

Fulton used this tactic in 95 at the World Cup which won Australia the cup against the odds.

Johns played about 90% of his rep games at halfback and when he was hooker he was doing both roles.