What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonthan Thurston's last game

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Watching the post-match interview with JT I suddenly recalled 13 years ago watching the Bulldogs v Cowboys game at Carrara, the day the NRL announced the GC bid had been officially green-lighted for the 16th team. A young JT played in that game, in his first season with the Cowboys who themselves were still the loveable underdogs with just one finals appearance in their 10 year history.

Skip forward to tonight and JT signs off playing against the Gold Coast at their purpose-build home ground in Robina, the captain of a Cowboys team who become regular finalists, established themselves as the #1 team in Qld (bar this season) and kicked the field goal that won their memorable first ever Premiership against their southern cousins who had been their bogey team for so long.

The circle of life, and all...
That's more like the octadecagon of life

Pedge1971

First Grade
Imagine my surprise that a Newcastle fan would rate Johns higher than Thurston

Thurston has done more for the game and just as good a player too, it's undeniable

No knock on JT, great player. Its undeniable as courageous as he is that he struggles in defence and needs a minder. Johns buried forwards 1:1 and was as influential as Thurston with the ball.

But yes definitey view the world with red and blue eyes.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
JT, one of the best Brisbane juniors ever to lace a boot.

An actual junior from the Brisbane City Council area.

Went on to win everything a player could.

Yet never a Bronco, in fact the Bronco nemesis.

Now the King of North.

Champion small man in a game of giants, been a privilege to watch.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not trying to start shit but do you think the sacking of hook has made a difference to the panthers season ?
Not a big difference if any at all. Although we did beat Storm and Hook has a 0% record against Bellamy. So maybe it did.

Certainly hasnt made us worse. Sadly we have been shit since Round 12. Pretty much like the Dragons

King hit

Coach
JT, one of the best Brisbane juniors ever to lace a boot.

An actual junior from the Brisbane City Council area.

Went on to win everything a player could.

Yet never a Bronco, in fact the Bronco nemesis.

Now the King of North.

Champion small man in a game of giants, been a privilege to watch.

At my graduation there was this guest speaker going on about how Thurston was born and bred in Townsville. Ah no sweetie he isn't.

Canard

Immortal
Thurston's formative League playing years were spent in Toowoomba however.

And literally every NRL club passed on him, I understand he played for essentially nothing with the Dogs

At my graduation there was this guest speaker going on about how Thurston was born and bred in Townsville. Ah no sweetie he isn't.

This is a sad indictment on the education standards of your school. But it explains a lot.

firechild

First Grade
Thank Christ this circus is over. F*** off Thurston you grubby merkin. Just stear clear of Coffs Harbour.

JT, champion player on the field and a legend for the indigenous community off it. He has done everything there is to do and won everything there is to win in the game, apart from win at Leichhardt Oval, will be missed. Farewell to a legend. I was a little young was only old enough to appreciate the back half of Joey's career so I can't compare the pair, but no one else I have seen would come close to him at his best.

Jonathan Thurston has had a brilliant career and is one of the best halfbacks I've ever seen play. I've though seen play in person - Steve Mortimer, Tom Raudonikis, Kevin Hastings, Peter Sterling, Allan Langer, Ricky Stuart, Andrew Johns, Jonathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk as the big name half backs 9in my time following the game. For pure on field ability Andrew Johns was the complete package. He could organise like a Sterlo, he had a passing game like Ricky Stuart's, he had pace off the mark similar to Turvey, he had a good short kicking game like Alf's as well as a good jink and step, and he had the toughness of a Tommy Raudonikis, whilst he could tackle like a back rower. Add on top of that he was a quality goal kicker.

JT possesses many similar qualities, but his defence is solid but not as good as Joey's. No knock on JT he is a great, but so far Andrew Johns is still the best halfback I've seen play to date.