What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Rabbits20

Immortal
I’m pretty sure there’s been a few articles about Sutton staying besides I’m pretty sure they would’ve announced him leaving last week.

For me it’s just about whether he cracks into our starting 13 to whether we pay that much to him. He might be a good option for 2020 but he’s definitely got some glaring issues in defence.

I would be surprised if he didn’t command more than 550k considering what second rowers are asking for these days.
Sutto may be waiting to see if we take it out this year before he decides.

Rabbits20

Immortal
How much does everyone think Matterson is worth? I'm gonna say $400-$500k.

Currently, $500k would be pushing it imo.

Tbh, I don't think it's 100% guarenteed that Sutto will play on. I'd love him to but I don't think he'll make a decision until the off season.

I'm not saying we will but if Souths were to win the Premiership this year, I could see Sutto retiring and going out a Premiership winner. Again, not saying that'll happen, we can't afford to look that far ahead but it's an interesting scenario.
500k I would say.

Travitoh

First Grade
Trav,Joel is a New South Welshman and Brenton a Queenslander.Nathan is a South Australian and apparently played 2 games for the Sharks.
Mate nothing personal but I think SA should just stick with Port and the Crows during the winter months!

Born in NSW, Joel came to SA when his father was coach of the Rams and stayed until he earnt a contract with Parra. Played centre for South Adelaide Bulldogs and captained the SA u18's side, earning a spot in the Australian Affiliated States team.

Brenton Lawrence was born in QLD and moved to SA at the age of 4 and played for the Central Districts Roosters, earning selection for the SA u15's side.

Nathan Vagg I'll admit i don't know much about beyond the fact he played NRL.

But there's three players that grew up in SA who went on to play NRL despite a real lack of RL presence and junior pathways in the state.
We won't be putting together a SOO team together anytime soon but when an untapped region has produced a couple of players good enough to play at the highest level, it suggests that there is potential.

And in regards to Port and the Crows, i couldn't care less and neither could a lot of the state.

RL won't surpass AFL anytime soon in Adelaide but Sydney got 17728 to the Adelaide Oval in horrific conditions. Souths games only passed that figure three times at ANZ in a top 4 season (Good Friday, Roosters & a Wests home game)
The numbers tell a story. The question is does the 'National' Rugby League want to listen?

Last edited:

Itsamansgame

Juniors

Tbh, I don't think it's 100% guarenteed that Sutto will play on. I'd love him to but I don't think he'll make a decision until the off season.

I'm not saying we will but if Souths were to win the Premiership this year, I could see Sutto retiring and going out a Premiership winner. Again, not saying that'll happen, we can't afford to look that far ahead but it's an interesting scenario.
[/QUOTE]
Born in NSW, Joel came to SA when his father was coach of the Rams and stayed until he earnt a contract with Parra. Played centre for South Adelaide Bulldogs and captained the SA u18's side, earning a spot in the Australian Affiliated States team.

Brenton Lawrence was born in QLD and moved to SA at the age of 4 and played for the Central Districts Roosters, earning selection for the SA u15's side.

Nathan Vagg I'll admit i don't know much about beyond the fact he played NRL.

But there's three players that grew up in SA who went on to play NRL despite a real lack of RL presence and junior pathways in the state.
We won't be putting together a SOO team together anytime soon but when an untapped region has produced a couple of players good enough to play at the highest level, it suggests that there is potential.

And in regards to Port and the Crows, i couldn't care less and neither could a lot of the state.

RL won't surpass AFL anytime soon in Adelaide but Sydney got 17728 to the Adelaide Oval in horrific conditions. Souths games only passed that figure three times at ANZ in a top 4 season (Good Friday, Roosters & a Wests home game)
The numbers tell a story. The question is does the 'National' Rugby League want to listen?
I would love a true National comp, SA,WA a second team in the Brisbane area and possibly another NZ team or PNG.
But I don’t think the NRL would want more than 16 teams,they possibly would like less which of course could lead to relocation of current clubs.
Myself I wouldn’t like to see any club relocate or lose it’s identity,I’m very old school and honestly wouldn’t wish the way I felt in 2000-01 upon anyone it was a terrible time.
I even wouldn’t wish it upon the Rorters,it honestly broke my heart!!

Itsamansgame

Juniors

I would love a true National comp, SA,WA a second team in the Brisbane area and possibly another NZ team or PNG.
But I don’t think the NRL would want more than 16 teams,they possibly would like less which of course could lead to relocation of current clubs.
Myself I wouldn’t like to see any club relocate or lose it’s identity,I’m very old school and honestly wouldn’t wish the way I felt in 2000-01 upon anyone it was a terrible time.
I even wouldn’t wish it upon the Rorters,it honestly broke my heart!![/QUOTE]
Have no idea how the top conversation appeared!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I even wouldn’t wish it upon the Rorters,it honestly broke my heart!![/QUOTE]

I don’t really understand why everyone is asking for less teams. Just add 4 more teams and make it a 20 round comp. that way everyone plays eachother once (makes the draw a lot fairer too) and nobody has to lose their NRL side. Leaves room for a SA team, a WA team, another Brisbane team and a god damn PNG team if you want. Its a win win solution for everyone. I just don’t understand how removing Sydney teams is gonna promote the game. I know if Souths got kicked out of the comp I’d struggle to follow the game and I’m sure it’s the same for a lot of supporters of their clubs.

ThingFish

Juniors

I did not watch a single game of NRL in 2000-01. If they relocate the Rabs that would be it for me, rugby league could suck it. I’d have a lot of free time on my hands.

Last edited:

Itsamansgame

Juniors
I don’t really understand why everyone is asking for less teams. Just add 4 more teams and make it a 20 round comp. that way everyone plays eachother once (makes the draw a lot fairer too) and nobody has to lose their NRL side. Leaves room for a SA team, a WA team, another Brisbane team and a god damn PNG team if you want. Its a win win solution for everyone. I just don’t understand how removing Sydney teams is gonna promote the game. I know if Souths got kicked out of the comp I’d struggle to follow the game and I’m sure it’s the same for a lot of supporters of their clubs.
I did not watch a single game of NRL in 2000-01. If they relocate the Rabs that would be it for me, rugby league could suck it. I’d have a lot of free time on my hands.[/QUOTE]
True story this,as disgusting as it sounds but true.The only game I attended was in 2001 Bulldogs v Knights it ended 28 all.
It was the week after Sir Donald Bradman passed on,a minutes silence was asked for in respect.
A group of f**king lebanese supporters were yelling out,Good another dead Skippy, needless to say I found it quite offensive and waited until the minutes silence was over then me and my mates took out some Skippy justice!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Have no idea how the top conversation appeared![/QUOTE]
I’m confused lol Itsa....

Galeforce

Bench
Same for me, I am a Souths supporter not an NRL supporter.

Ditto , when Souths were kicked out , I cancelled Foxtell ( resumed when Souths were resubmitted) , stopped buying Telegraph ( still stopped) and did not bother watching NRL those years .

However , I do believe the NRL future , with Souths there , needs a
Perth , Adelaide and Darwin team and perhaps a PNG team or Fiji team ( that is lowest priority) to make the game a truly national game . Another Melbourne team , another QLD team , or Gosford teamer another NZ team Arte all possible future candidates to get to a 24 team comp.

A promotion/ relegation system would be ideal if there were at least 24 teams to make two divisions . This would allow the perfect HOME and AWAY competition , season of 22 games , with 12 teams in each division. The problem with this idea is that if you had ONE Melbourne team ( or Perth or Adelaide or Brisbane or Cowboys or Canberra or NZ team ) you could not expect to relegate one of these teams to a second division and keep the National interest!!!!!! So whilst it may sound a good long term objective to aim for , I do not think it would work. So more teams means we get further away from a true home/away competition.

So , perhaps objective is to go for a 24 team competition , with HOME and AWAY a target over two years. Each team plays the other team ONCE in a year. 23 rounds. Until we get to 24 teams , just expand on what we are doing now with rule that teams take turn playing home/away over seasons. If souths play Roosters 1 year at home , the next time they play Roosters ( be it this year or next) it is away.the other objective is that each year half of a teams games are home games.