What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Bazal

Post Whore
It was an epic meltdown.

And the umpire was left with no choice.

I'm not sure what's more shameful - Serena's conduct or that of the crowd.

It should have been a scene of overwhelming jubilation for Osaka but instead she was made to feel awkward.

@Danish are New Yorkers as bad as their US Open crowds suggest?

Check out this dribble...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis...s-powerful-us-open-final-20180909-p502nw.html

She's a disgrace, she's been a petulant child her whole career and I'm shocked it's taken this long for it to boil over like this. Osaka deserved to win, and Serena deserved everything she got from the chair umpire.

edabomb

First Grade
The post match when they said he should have given her a warning like you would a child before taking the game punishment just iced it for me.

How about she just acts like an adult out there?

Bazal

Post Whore
The post match when they said he should have given her a warning like you would a child before taking the game punishment just iced it for me.

How about she just acts like an adult out there?

You'd think that, just maybe, the previous code violations would be enough of a warning for someone who has played tennis her whole life?

She literally went on a tirade so long and involved that officials had to come onto the court, and then says "oh a man wouldn't be violated for calling the chair a liar and a thief"....maybe, maybe not, but you carried on for AGES before that and the chair should never have to put up with that sort of shit.

Bazal

Post Whore
The coach has also admitted he was coaching her....lol.

The only fair point from her entire camp is from him. Every coach does it. Everything else is horseshit and a poor attempt at damage control.

Oh, and the other fair point from her coach is that we shouldn't be hypocrites. Like calling a chair umpire a liar when you've just spent an age lying to him about how you weren't being coached.

axl rose

Bench
The coach has also admitted he was coaching her....lol.

The only fair point from her entire camp is from him. Every coach does it. Everything else is horseshit and a poor attempt at damage control.

Oh, and the other fair point from her coach is that we shouldn't be hypocrites. Like calling a chair umpire a liar when you've just spent an age lying to him about how you weren't being coached.

I know its not the issue but why do they even need to risk giving directions all. Has Serena really not played enough games that she doesn't know she needs to come forward?

saint.nick

Coach
f**k she is a tit, I've never been a fan of her. I've tried my best to warm to her but there has always been an insufferably petulant arrogance about her when things don't go her way. She was so determined to prove the umpire wrong that she called him a lying sexist (a disgustingly baseless accusation), yet her coach has admitted to cheating anyway!

Wasn't she also acting a bit like this to a lesser extent when Stosur beat her in US open final?

And christ, spare me her apologists for praising her 'class and grace' afforded to Osaka up on stage during the ceremony. She dropped glass all over the floor and she's being praised for cleaning it up, what a joke.

edabomb

First Grade
I've seen people saying McEnroe was never punished like that for his outbursts.

That was also 30 years ago...

jargan83

Coach
The “I’m a mother line” and the baseless accusations of sexism really grind my gears.

Docked a point and then a game for being a petulant brat, smashing a racket and abusing the chair umpire and it carried on into the press conference after the match was done.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Avenger

Immortal
If Djokovic wins tomorrow I think we can safely say that this era has had the 3 greatest players in tennis history.

When you start threatening an official in my opinion you lose any moral high ground. Imagine if someone like Kygrios did something like this? People would want him thrown of tour. To turn it into an argument about gender or race just tries to get people on her side through threat of being racist or sexist.

I respect Serena Williams, she might be the greatest ever sportswoman in any sport, but every now and then she pulls something like this with an official. Much like when she beat Stosur in the final there, her behaviour completely overshadows the winner. The poor girl just beat her idol to win her first slam and had to accept the trophy in tears to a chorus of boos (although to Serena's credit she did tell the crowd to show Osaka respect).

saint.nick

Coach
When you start threatening an official in my opinion you lose any moral high ground. Imagine if someone like Kygrios did something like this? People would want him thrown of tour. To turn it into an argument about gender or race just tries to get people on her side through threat of being racist or sexist.

I respect Serena Williams, she might be the greatest ever sportswoman in any sport, but every now and then she pulls something like this with an official. Much like when she beat Stosur in the final there, her behaviour completely overshadows the winner. The poor girl just beat her idol to win her first slam and had to accept the trophy in tears to a chorus of boos (although to Serena's credit she did tell the crowd to show Osaka respect).
That booing just wouldnt happen in the oz open final. New yorkers can be grubs.

I also love how she brought up the fact that she has a child, as if it puts her in the right by default :joy:

I was under the impression she didn't see the signal and it may have been a misunderstanding, but now the coach has admitted he was sending her a coaching signal it kind of kills that. There's so many things coaches can do to send a message without anyone knowing, surely her coach could have been more subtle.

mozza91

Coach
You could probably forgive her for blowing up on the court and she did make somewhat of an amends and was fairly respectful during the presentation.

But to then come out in the presser and play the victim again and claim that she was doing it for women’s rights is disgraceful and shows what a terrible person she is.

horrie hastings

First Grade

I was so proud that Sam Stosur held her nerve after Serena's outburst in the 2011 US Open Final and let the scoreboard truly show who the winner was that day, her behaviour completely over shadowed what was a great moment for Stosur winning a Grand Slam final but even that out burst by Serena paled into comparison of what she did Osaka, it should have been the greatest moment of her life winning her first Grand Slam singles title but Serena robbed her of that moment.

bileduct

Coach

LatK7

First Grade
Djokovic’s defence and this court speed is rough for Delpo. What would normally have been winners aren’t going through the court.

Djokovic playing wonderfully too.