What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Oates

hazzbeen

Bench
I am a fan of Nene as well ....just wished he had a little more urgency in his game (if he did this he could be anything)....and as you say needs work on taking high balls instead of just trying to batter them back most of the time
He is still young enough , another player that has not reached his potential but will in time . A season ago I thought he was rubbish , but slowly showing glimpses of what he can do ....

blacksafake

First Grade
Happy for him to replace Nightingale/Pereira, but am I one of the only people who is a fan of MacDonald? I think he makes great metres off kick returns, and early in sets, as well as being a great finisher, also pokes his head as a support runner frequently enough, just needs to work on taking high balls as well as not jamming in in defence (partly due to having Aitken inside him)
Agree,
Why not both.

Dragsters

First Grade
Oates is probably just trying to bump up his salary before re-signing with Broncos.

Perhaps but if for whatever reason we were chasing Bmoz mid-season still exists, then Oates should be our no. 1 target as he is clearly the best winger on the market.

Offers so much more than Tupou for example and he is still contracted anyhow...

SEAT 1A

Bench
“I haven’t really had many formal offers.”

To early to get my hopes up just yet and have no idea how it works however, if he is after a formal offer then give him one.

Seems to play with a straight bat so, I hope we put the cards on the table.

ebbedfred

Bench
The fact he has come out and named the clubs interested in him to me is not a good sign. He is letting Brisbane know he has spoken to clubs and he's mentioned clubs to show he isn't bluffing.

He obviously wants to stay in Brisbane, but they may not be able to afford him, which begs the question, how much is is asking and are we willing to spend that on a winger?

He'd be a great player for us, but would depend on the price tag as to whether he is worth it. Lot's of big, fast wingers in the world coming through.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints will either have Nene or Oats. I think they would only go for Oats if Nene goes to the Cowboys which makes sense. If they both stay that is crazy as they have some good youngsters coming through.

ALSGI

Bench
If we’re in the market for Oates why didn’t we keep Herbet. Not saying he’s as good as Oates (yet) but he would have come a lot cheaper with plenty of upside as to potential and positions he could play.

giboz71

First Grade
A poster in JA said Benny Hornby was seen having a quiiet word to Val Holmes.

Not sure if there’s anything in it, but any cash we’re setting aside for a guy like Oates would surely be gone if we made a play for Holmes.

Whatever happens, the fact we’re talking about guys like Oates and Holmes is surely a good sign for next year.

Perhaps the days of shit slow backs stinking up our backline are over?

Datramp

Juniors
Surely if he wants to play back row some day coming to a club where he can learn from the best back row in the competition has to be enticing

Belta

Juniors
Saints will either have Nene or Oats. I think they would only go for Oats if Nene goes to the Cowboys which makes sense. If they both stay that is crazy as they have some good youngsters coming through.
I like your sentiments in relation to up and coming juniors, and I’ve agreed with such sentiments for a long time, however the problem I keep seeing with our backs is a shortage of potential ISP first graders hitting their straps in first grade. We end up not changing our line up anyway. We continually use the same backs, which for the most part are a tad below the top teams.

Most of the top teams replenish thier stocks, some more than others, lookMelbourne, Souths, Cronulla, Roosters many have recruited well established proven stars of the game..

I do concede through injuries we’ve added Lomax and JP, so I’m not saying buy a host of backs but one winger, shouldn’t block too many, whilst keeping us up there.