What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2: Sharks vs Panthers

Western Stand

Juniors
To be honest, the Sharks didn't actually blow us off the park with their wins this year. If we play with the same way in which the last two games have been played, the game is ours.
Don't forget we had a fair chunk of our NSW Cup team play them last time and if not for a dropped ball over the line, we probably win that one.

The press lauded Moylan for his performance and fair enough. In saying that, you'd expect him to do that to any team that had an almost unrecognisable spine.

We will be ready tonight.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly the same game plan as last week. Kick on tackle 3 or 4 and turn their big boys around. Kick into the corners and jam in on Holmes.

Be prepared to take 80 minutes to win this one. That means the players and our support. We all need to leave the stadium tonight with our voice box crushed and every ounce of energy squeezed out of our bodies.

The only thing that will help us be mobile is the adrenaline running through the veins with the knowledge that we get to do it again next week.

We need to be the difference.

Low kicks behind Edrick he is so slow turning. Use DWZ's height over Feki and Holmes.

Western Stand

Juniors
The kicking game is the key. Ours is superior but the forwards and outside backs also need to make sure that they put Jimmy and Nat in good field position. Your kicking game becomes ineffectual if you are always kicking from your 30m.

We have one of the fittest teams in the premiership. If we just play the patient game and turn their forwards around, we can wear them down and play some footy off the back of it.

The kicking game of both halves last week was a master class. I'd say that Brandy has been doing some extra training with them. Maybe even Gowie too.

Flanagan was saying that Jimmy is going to get a lot of traffic, he should be more concerned with what Kikau can do to Townsend. If Billy is on tonight, our chances of winning will double.

Blues Riff

Bench
OK, Post 2003. That will do me for the season I reckon.

Edit- lol @ the Peter Wallace scandal. Pete's worked hard to qualify for the job. We work within the rules. Now merkin wants to change it because we have someone competant out there. Nobody's forcing other teams to use numptys to run the water.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
My point by showing them is to show that he changed clubs yet still kicks as much. We have less kickers so it looks bad when the halves don't kick. Where does it show we didn't kick by tactics when in another jersey the same stats are there?
He kicks more with us. We have less kicking options. Especially when Cleary was out. Kicking itself has never been the issue. Every team in the competition tends to kick on the last more often than not.

The tactics behind those kicks change a hell of a lot though. Field position you're kicking from and what hour teamwants from ghe kick. Ontop of the players ability to nail the kick he wants.

The players have come out and backed what the fans could see with our 'tactical' kicking game under Hook. You're f**king blind if you cant see the change in kicking since he left.

But hey what would the players who received his instructions know about that? And you were saying those stats by Moylan were terrible. When they f**king arent. They're on par with the most of the other 6s playing finals footy.

OldPanther

Coach
@umina panther mentioned this last night and now it's a full blown article with outrage and all.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/8eb854d1f4f9a46e383095f0ab7f0253

Damning footage shows Panthers trainer Peter Wallace is their 14th man

THE time Panthers’ trainer Peter Wallace spends on the field has the potential to be an epidemic, if the NRL don’t act.
Wallace was caught on camera spending a lot of time directing from the backfield during the Panthers win over the Warriors and Paul Kent has urged the NRL to stamp it out.

“It’s a disgrace,” Kent told NRL 360.

“The NRL need to sit down and say look this isn’t under 8s where coaches are allowed to be on the field.

“What we face a risk of now is that Peter Wallace played this season for Penrith and retired mid-season.

“He knows all the plays, he knows their structure, he knows what they are trying to achieve because he trained with this team as the dummyhalf and one of the spine.

“If we allow this to continue it will be a disaster.”
The way it works in the NRL is the trainer is allowed on until tackle four and he must be off the field when a team is in defence.

However there is a fear that trainers like Langer and Wallace who are former players have too much influence on their teams.

“What Wallace is doing and we see Alfie Langer doing it as well, is that they are directing players around the park,” Kent said.

“It’s like we are using a remote control. Give the game back to the players.”

betcats

Referee
@umina panther mentioned this last night and now it's a full blown article with outrage and all.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/8eb854d1f4f9a46e383095f0ab7f0253

Damning footage shows Panthers trainer Peter Wallace is their 14th man

THE time Panthers’ trainer Peter Wallace spends on the field has the potential to be an epidemic, if the NRL don’t act.
Wallace was caught on camera spending a lot of time directing from the backfield during the Panthers win over the Warriors and Paul Kent has urged the NRL to stamp it out.

“It’s a disgrace,” Kent told NRL 360.

“The NRL need to sit down and say look this isn’t under 8s where coaches are allowed to be on the field.

“What we face a risk of now is that Peter Wallace played this season for Penrith and retired mid-season.

“He knows all the plays, he knows their structure, he knows what they are trying to achieve because he trained with this team as the dummyhalf and one of the spine.

“If we allow this to continue it will be a disaster.”
The way it works in the NRL is the trainer is allowed on until tackle four and he must be off the field when a team is in defence.

However there is a fear that trainers like Langer and Wallace who are former players have too much influence on their teams.

“What Wallace is doing and we see Alfie Langer doing it as well, is that they are directing players around the park,” Kent said.

“It’s like we are using a remote control. Give the game back to the players.”

Lol this must come up twice a year.

franklin2323

Immortal
But hey what would the players who received his instructions know about that? And you were saying those stats by Moylan were terrible. When they f**king arent. They're on par with the most of the other 6s playing finals footy.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...=fiveEighth&category=kicking&sortBy=kicksDead

You can rank for each category.

For kicks Moylan ranks 31. only Walker below at 34
Kick metres Moylan ranks 33. Walker 39
Only 3 Finals 6 has 40/20 so he gets a pass for that.
Forced line drop outs he actually goes well sitting at 15. On the flip side he is 4th for Kicks dead. Only Milford is in front

So across the kicking stats he is low.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/stats/teams?category=kicking&sortBy=attackingKicks

Attacking kicks we are 3rd. only behind Cows and Roosters. Yet we are 12th in kick metres.

We are 3rd in Line breaks. 5th in tackle breaks

So it isn't like we are have been horrible attack wise. Just in certain errors

Fangs

Coach
Jesse Ramien - great player.

I think losing Dugan works in the Sharks favour. There is enough experience in the line up to cover. However it disrupts the edge where they let in a few points last week. I'd test it early.

TheFrog

Coach

betcats

Referee
To be honest, the Sharks didn't actually blow us off the park with their wins this year. If we play with the same way in which the last two games have been played, the game is ours.

Yeah I agree, especially that second game. We had a good chance to ice that one and dropped it over the line.

Sharks are just a hardened side though, they know how to win while not being the better side they have been doing it for the last few years.

betcats

Referee
Jesse Ramien - great player.

I think losing Dugan works in the Sharks favour. There is enough experience in the line up to cover. However it disrupts the edge where they let in a few points last week. I'd test it early.

I was almost going to say the same thing. Ramien is a better centre than dugan from what ive seen. he hits the ball hard and gets low close to the line, look for inside balls to ramien when we are defending our line tonight. Ill be shitting myself every time they set up like that.

franklin2323

Immortal
I was almost going to say the same thing. Ramien is a better centre than dugan from what ive seen. he hits the ball hard and gets low close to the line, look for inside balls to ramien when we are defending our line tonight. Ill be shitting myself every time they set up like that.

Yeah but defence is ordinary as any young guy is

Latest posts