What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Oates

Frank Facer

First Grade
Homes would be a great signing however, with the money he would want, his preferred position would be fullback. So what happens to Dufty?
The question would beg, who is better or who will be better, Dufty or Holmes. Holmes had massive wraps on him and great expectations about his move to fullback, to take Barba's spot. Last year he did not live up to those expectations at fullback and was even moved to the wing earlier in the season. His form of late has been spectacular. His form has been better than Dufty's. Dufty does have a lot of potential. He is a match winner on his day. He still needs to improve numerous aspects of his game, but I believe he has the potential to have a long and successful career. He is in a very competitive position to play reps, so if he does, so then he will have to be playing some brilliant football consistently.

If I was a recruitment officer and had the choice of Holmes and Dufty, I would take Holmes. I doubt that we will get him and I still have high hopes for Dufty and we also have Lomax here who could play fullback too.

possm

Coach
I would take Oats for $400k but Bennett's stocks are diving and Mary has done enough right to keep his job. We led the comp for 2/3s of the year and are still alive. His stocks are on the up.

The question to be asked is:
  1. Would we have performed even better if Bennett was in charge. Would our players have been rested after SOO?
  2. Would we have won two or three more games with Bennett in charge thus becoming minor premiers?
  3. Why were Doust and Craig Young sitting down with Bennett the day prior to us meeting the Broncos for the second time this season?

My guess is that no matter what the result this year, there is a fair chance that Bennett will be at the Dragons next year with Dean Young as his assistant in 2019-2020 and Dean Young taking over as head coach in 2021.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
  1. Would we have performed even better if Bennett was in charge. Would our players have been rested after SOO?
  2. Would we have won two or three more games with Bennett in charge thus becoming minor premiers?
  3. Why were Doust and Craig Young sitting down with Bennett the day prior to us meeting the Broncos for the second time this season?

My guess is that no matter what the result this year, there is a fair chance that Bennett will be at the Dragons next year with Dean Young as his assistant in 2019-2020 and Dean Young taking over as head coach in 2021.
I would not be at all surprised if you are on the money Possm, but I would expect Bennett to want 3 years to win another comp. I know that Bennett held Dean Young in very high esteem, he may have even said that he thought Dean Young would make a good coach in the future, but don't quote me on that on. I could see that being Craig Young's plan. Then Craig would have a major influence on the board and on the coach.

After seeing what has happened to clubs after Bennett left them, maybe we would be better off signing another experienced coach to take over from Bennett, although I do like the idea of Jason Demetriou being Bennett's assistant and taking over from him, when he retires.

Dragon for life

Juniors
Yes I watched his interview and he also said other clubs had expressed interest as well.....would be handy to have but he also said he would like to be coached by Bennett still.....I wouldnt read to much into it fellas when you want something it hardly ever comes to fruition....still keeps our interest I guess
Maybe Bennett will come to. He said on radio up here that he would look to move on if Bennett didn’t get an extension on his contract. Maybe he’s like Boyd and only wants to be coached by Bennett. I think Bennett will make an announcement after the GF. He wants to tell the Broncos to go get f ed for not keeping him on after the 2019 season.

Just speculating and hoping I guess.

Vinnie

Juniors
While i'm not a fan of Bennett ever coming back ( I still haven't forgotten or forgiven the shape he left us in last time ) The only way he will come is if he get's pushed from Bronco's as he is too stubborn to leave, and he will want a huge payout. But if he comes i can happily see Oates and Pangai, who apparently is only willing to sign a 1 year deal which can only mean in line with Bennett.
The strong word on Holmes is he will not leave Sharks for anyone other than the Cowboys and that won't be until 2020, remember Barba only signed 1 year, and can also very well play in the halves, so i would say Holmes is a no chance.

Ahhh the ifs and buts and maybes ... isn't it fun ... but time will tell what happens.

mickeylane

Bench
Can guarantee if Bennett comes Widdop goes straight to No.1 and Hunt will occassionally shift to hooker .
Pangai
Oates

will follow...but cant see Mcgregor going

Frank Facer

First Grade
Can guarantee if Bennett comes Widdop goes straight to No.1 and Hunt will occassionally shift to hooker .
Pangai
Oates

Micky, you say that you can guarantee that if Bennett comes Widdop goes straight to fullback? lol Maybe he does, but unless you have spoken to Bennett personally, or know someone who has, then I don't think you have the authority to say that you can guarantee Widdop goes to fullback and Dufty goes where ever.

But just say that you are correct. Can you tell us who plays 5/8 for us next year if Bennett is coaching us and if Hunt is occasionally shifted to hooker, who plays halfback.

Vinnie

Juniors
Micky, you say that you can guarantee that if Bennett comes Widdop goes straight to fullback? lol Maybe he does, but unless you have spoken to Bennett personally, or know someone who has, then I don't think you have the authority to say that you can guarantee Widdop goes to fullback and Dufty goes where ever.

But just say that you are correct. Can you tell us who plays 5/8 for us next year if Bennett is coaching us and if Hunt is occasionally shifted to hooker, who plays halfback.
Widdop only went to no 1 for England due to injuries and necessities, cant see him doing that at Dragons with the stock he has current and upcoming. Plus who's better than him to play in the halves ?

Life's Good

Coach
It’s a yes to Oates from me on the proviso it’s as a winger(we have enough in the back row).
He would be a great replacement for Nene & with Pereira, would be a potent, try scoring wing combo.

You might be on the money.

brokendigit

Juniors
If someone's heritage state affects whether or not you think a club should sign them you're insane
It was a joke, Joyce.
You may not remember, but we have a long, proud list of f'ing QLD'ers who have worn the Red V. Except Tallis. He'd be a knob wherever he was from.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Pangai
Oates

what is your guarantee?

if he doesn't, you'll stop posting shit?

that's a guarantee i'd buy into..