What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 vs Souths

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Most of Cook's breaks are made through the middle third. So it will be up to the likes of McInnes and De Belin to shut him down because our props will be fully occupied with shuting down the Burgess boys.

Also, McInnes should also dart through the middle in the same way that Cook does. Easy metres to be gained there as Souths will be concentrating on our edge forwards who were very dangerous against the Broncos last week.

In terms of leg speed; Cook is a Ferrari, McInnes is a Volkswagen.

blacksafake

First Grade
Agree, and I have said on numerous threads, what a kick in the guts it would be for young Lomax, to be dropped after being part of a massive win. KId's needs confidence now. Win or lose, he deserves his
chance.
Exactly. I said In an earlier thread that win lose or draw the experience he gets from this game, especially marking Inglis will do him the world of good moving forward.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Cook is the key to whether we will win this game or not. His go forward is what will put us back on our heals, especially late in the first half and again late in the crucial last 20 mins. Tie him down, inhibit his running game and he starts getting a bit frustrated. This will also effect his service out to his backline.

I expect Souths to target JDB in the front line to test out his ankle and lateral movement. They will also bomb to Dufty and Periera.

The battle between the "Goanna" and the "Gifted one" will be enthralling in itself.

Saints by 4

SBD82

Coach
I've got an awful feeling about this game.

Last week I had a sense of hope, and I couldn't explain where it came from. This week I can't shake the feeling that we are done.

Goddamn I hope I'm wrong. Give em hell boys.

rednwhites

Juniors
Will have to make sure we are not chasing in this one. Can't see us blowing them off the park like we did with Broncos but could grind a win out. Never say never after last week. Rabbits should win if it's a matter of best team on paper. It's a game of moments however, we can take our chances and put it to them. No idea what will happen but I just hope we turn up for starters.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
It might be a bit late to do this SGI fans but you should have all tossed in a few bucks each to hire 4 or 5 extra big screens for the stadium....the Burgess brothers just cant stop looking at themselves on these big screens and it might have been just enough to put them off their game. The Tigers played Souths a few weeks back and Sam was going in under the post and I swear he looked up at the screen and dropped the ball over the line.

All jokes aside.....good luck tomorrow.

dwight12

Juniors
Daily telegraph have broken the story that the photos are on sam Burgess' account. I can't read or paste the article as I'm not a subscriber.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra landed in a parallel NRL finals universe
  • AFL
    r0_0_1663_1150_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Last laugh: Dragons coach Paul McGregor is plotting a run deep into the NRL finals series.
  • They face South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night. Picture: Adam McLean

• What parallel rugby league universe have we just stumbled into?

A weird zero-gravity place where St George Illawarra head into an NRL semi-final without an overwhelming sense of expectation?

A reality where Paul McGregor is actually praised by Dragons fans – and doubt lingers over whether Wayne Bennett has a job next year.

But here we are, bizarro world.

The curiously-timed “chaos” surrounding South Sydney and allegations of players exposing themselves to a young woman on webcam has ratcheted up the heat at Redfern.

While the full circumstances of the incident are being investigated by the club and NRL integrity unit, Souths have the small matter of beating the Dragons and keeping their premiership hopes alive to worry about.

Back here in Wollongong, there’s a whole different vibe going on.

The Dragons are unshackled from the usual millstone of pressure around their neck, which halted their campaigns in one form or another in 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 and last year.

The win over the Broncos was McGregor’s finest hour.

Even the Twitter trolls had begrudging respect for his coaching efforts to turn it around.

A season sliding out of control, saved just as they were about to hurtle off the cliff. Dragons fans even had time to exhale with about 12 minutes left, knowing victory was theirs.

A mixture of relief and celebration washed over them, as boom rookie Zac Lomax pulled out the party tricks, with a perfectly-timed kick for Matt Dufty to streak away and score in the final moments.

It was a sensation not felt since Jason Nightingale, then Dean Young and Nathan Fien scored tries in the space of 10 minutes to seal the premiership in 2010.

And few expect the Dragons to progress any further this year, which is their biggest asset.

Lomax, Jordan Pereira and Blake Lawrie are unburdened by past failures.

Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims appear to have tapped into the State of Origin mentality which helped NSW win the series.

Ben Hunt looked like he was actually enjoying his footy again, though Gareth Widdop’s latest injury raised the performance bar for him against the Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night. Rugby league players spend so much time being controlled, from recovery to game day.

They’re characterised as chess pieces and robots by the supporter base.

The season review will be fascinating, evaluating how it all went horribly amiss before the Brisbane recovery mission, with players let off the leash.

This is rugby league bizarro world and the Dragons are suddenly revelling in it.
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5645443/mcgregor-revels-in-alternate-reality/?cs=2375

English Rose

Juniors
Daily telegraph have broken the story that the photos are on sam Burgess' account. I can't read or paste the article as I'm not a subscriber.

This could go one of two ways. He will be either put off his game because of it or he will be angry about it and look to take it out on the field!

ALSGI

Bench
Our biggest game in 8 years, should be a beauty.

Can’t believe the bookies are still paying over $4. Got to take that.

Night games on a weekend are a f**kcing joke, all for the stupid tv ratings.

There will be biff tonight. There will be blood spilled. Do us proud you mighty Dragons.

Latest posts