What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

playdaball

Bench
Sign up Niko Jones, son of Sir Michael. He is the captain of the St Peters 1st XV and has amazing ball skills, off loading at will. The first club that The Iceman played for was Te Atatu Roosters RL.

Rich102

Staff member
After watching Matty Johns interviewed on NRL 360 I feel the Warriors should invest in bringing him over to speak to the squad early next year. His explanation of the way the top teams conduct their sets was by far the best I have seen. Obviously a man who has thought deeply about the game and can explain it coherently.

JJ

Immortal
After watching Matty Johns interviewed on NRL 360 I feel the Warriors should invest in bringing him over to speak to the squad early next year. His explanation of the way the top teams conduct their sets was by far the best I have seen. Obviously a man who has thought deeply about the game and can explain it coherently.

Public needs to see more of that, instead of the class clown shit we see so much of - until Johnson is motivated sufficiently to attack the line with ball in hand, he'll remain a downhill skier IMO

Also interested in the love for Ah Mau - he's solid, and certainly strengthens our middle (God do we need it), but St George's power with the ball all comes from the back row and when fit Vaughn

TheDMC

Bench
Public needs to see more of that, instead of the class clown shit we see so much of -

Yes, Johns seems like a messiah because of those insights he made on 360. But to be frank, that kind of analysis is hardly rocket science or even that insightful, but seems so cause a complete lack of it in RL public info. Ben Ikin looked dumbfounded by Johns' contribution as if the dude was sharing secrets on turning lead into gold. FFS it was a bit over the top actually.

Think cricket - ex players throughout the world offer so many insights into strategy and technical aspects through commentating and written media. Martin Crowe, RIP, was great in that regard. It's the norm in many sports.

And in USA sports too...incredibly in-depth analysis.
Rugby Union in NZ, more so than RL for sure.

JJ

Immortal
Yes, Johns seems like a messiah because of those insights he made on 360. But to be frank, that kind of analysis is hardly rocket science or even that insightful, but seems so cause a complete lack of it in RL public info. Ben Ikin looked dumbfounded by Johns' contribution as if the dude was sharing secrets on turning lead into gold. FFS it was a bit over the top actually.

Think cricket - ex players throughout the world offer so many insights into strategy and technical aspects through commentating and written media. Martin Crowe, RIP, was great in that regard. It's the norm in many sports.

Didn't mean he was a messiah at all, but it's pretty well documented he's done good work with halves at a number of clubs

I suspect because he himself was a limited player he might be able to empathise better

TheDMC

Bench
Didn't mean he was a messiah at all, but it's pretty well documented he's done good work with halves at a number of clubs

I suspect because he himself was a limited player he might be able to empathise better

All good bro, I wasn’t casting aspersions on his coaching/mentoring value or your support of him having a role with SJ, more that Ben Ikin jizzing over John’s analysis on Telly was way over the top...

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Thing is though, you don't get a lot of those insights into strategy and technical aspects in rugby league. They either seem to purposely dumb it down or they aren't articulate enough to get the points across. In NZ, I'd say it's a lot from column B. We sorely lack in-depth analysis with the Warriors. And that's sad, because you'd hope a guy like Barnett and ex-coaches like Morgan and Bluey should be able to provide it...and occasionally they do but only very occasionally. I'm a sports guy but not a league guy, never played a game in my life. I know it from passionate following of it but I don't know the nuances, so I reckon I would've loved Johns' insight (I didn't see it).

Bring on more of it, I say.

Reactions: JJ

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I am not anti-Ah Mau by any means but honestly he is very similar to what we already have. Stocky but not a genuine "big prop", and not explosive at all. I feel he has been optimistically misrepresented a bit.

JJ

Immortal
I am not anti-Ah Mau by any means but honestly he is very similar to what we already have. Stocky but not a genuine "big prop", and not explosive at all. I feel he has been optimistically misrepresented a bit.
Yep, Saints power is all from the back row and Vaughan, Ah Mau is fine but not a top drawer middle forward

playdaball

Bench
I heard an interview with Dave Robinson, Autex co - owner ( or was he the Dad?). Anyway he sees fairly determined to keep Issac Luke. If they do keep him the coaching staff need to ensure that he eliminates some of the stupid mistakes from his game. I believe that he is no longer an 80 min player and a back up needs to be on the bench - Roache. If they don’t resign him surely that’ll free up a lot of $$? If so, they’ll need to identify areas of concern and making signings. Like last year there could be some pre Xmas fall outs with players being released from contracts which starts a domino effect with players becoming available.

Leber

Bench
It'll basically be the same team with Ah Mau in it, and Mannering out.

I would like a bit of tinkering in the back line, but I don't think there is the money there to buy anyone new.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
My team for next year:

Rts
Maumalo
Beale
Hiku
Fusi
SJ
Green
Paasi
Luke
Ah Mau
Papali
Harris
Blair

Roache
Bunty
Gavet
Satae/Tevaga/Pulu

This team would improve our pack over this year, would give us more backline attack (the ball going past Kata more than once a match), spark off the bench with Roache, and versatility with that 4th bench option depending on what kind of team/conditions were playing in

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The Warriors are in desperate need of a game breaking forward, they don't have a guy there who you can pass the ball to who will create something on his own.

Examples would be any of the Burgess lads, Kikau, Taumololo, Taupau, T Sims, Pangai etc, they can run over the top of an opponent or poke through with an arm free etc

Oppositions aren't going to be shaking in their boots when they look across the park and see Blair, Papali and Tevaga lining up, Harris is good but not that style of player

Been that way for some time sadly. That's why Ivan got Mateo back in the day. Haven't really developed one since Ali.

Papali'i really started to develop an offload towards the back end of the season and at only 19 has a lot of growth but doesn't have the pace/acceleration to be that destructive forward.

Cold Roses

Juniors

To some extent you're right about being misrepresented. However I think the value Ah Mau will provide is by bringing consistency in his output/stats over a set amount of minutes per game. What he can be, is effective for 55-60 minutes a game. This will allow Paasi and Afoa in particular to bring some aggression with their hard charging runs. That is of course, if Kearney actually shows some faith in his props and plays them for any decent amount of time.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Been that way for some time sadly. That's why Ivan got Mateo back in the day. Haven't really developed one since Ali.

Papali'i really started to develop an offload towards the back end of the season and at only 19 has a lot of growth but doesn't have the pace/acceleration to be that destructive forward.

Massive upside to Papali'i for sure, but I'd love to see him coming off the bench to replace the Lock (Blair?). Pulu is the guy for me that has a bit of size, mobility and penetration in attack. He started the season really well, and that left hand side was actually functioning smoothly before he got injured. Pulu and Harris second row, Blair at Lock. Papali'i covers lock and second row, Roache covers hooker and Lock if Kearney wants an option for the fast paced middle game that Tevaga currently provides. 4 props. 2 starting, 2 off the bench. Roache at a pinch covers wing/center. Not ideal, but I've never been a fan of having a back providing cover off the bench 'in case'.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Is a bit of a mystery too, when you think of all the Polynesian lads playing league in Auckland, that the Warriors haven't been able to unearth one for a few years now

Used to get guys like Lauaki, Tai'i, Matagi etc coming through regularly that weren't top liners but the defence had to work to stop them. Afoa at times looks like filling that hole but I do wonder if he could keep that up long term and stay injury free even though he is filling out a bit

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Is a bit of a mystery too, when you think of all the Polynesian lads playing league in Auckland, that the Warriors haven't been able to unearth one for a few years now

Used to get guys like Lauaki, Tai'i, Matagi etc coming through regularly that weren't top liners but the defence had to work to stop them. Afoa at times looks like filling that hole but I do wonder if he could keep that up long term and stay injury free even though he is filling out a bit

I really think the combination of the Warriors lack of success in the last half decade and the All Blacks unprecedented dominance in the same period has hurt the quality of players coming through. Most of the talent wants to play union and who can blame them with the system on offer?