What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Some random observations:

- We have far too many players that lack game awareness. That last 5 minutes was a textbook example of how not to close out a game. We desperately need a coach that can instill game management in these players, or players who are just smart enough to do it themselves.

- I never want to see May as a dummy half again. His passing from there is shit.

- I would keep Tamou. Merrin I would let go.

- Discipline and handling errors kill us every game without fail. Coaching can fix the first, but I'm starting to wonder whether the second is terminal.

- RCG is too flaky to be a superstar prop. He lets his heart override his brain too often.

- I'm not sure Mansour is the player he was anymore.

- We are blessed in the fullback department with Edwards, DWZ, and Aekins coming through. Can't fit three into one though. Does Aekins play wing?

- Boy, do we need an experienced, skillful dummy half.

martielang

Bench
I don’t think we’re too far off tbh. Not many changes imo. There wasn’t a team in the comp we should fear if we’re playing close to our best.

Agree with most of Billy’s points but I’d be happy with Katoa at 9, Egan at 14 or vice versa.

Merrin clearly getting pushed out, Tamou has been great of late, I’d try & play him a bit wider at times & definitely longer minutes. Would start him & push RCG to the bench. RCG is spent by the 20th min when starting.

I’d try May at lock with JFH as prop/middle forward.

Backline picks itself when Edwards is fit IMO. Aekins next cab. Wouldn’t mind signing someone like Linnett for cover & to push our outside backs.

I’d be telling Maloney to give up rep footy. Not sure I’d punt him for Luai just yet, but if he’s not performing throughout the year hopefully Luai gets his shot.

Like the look of Waddell & Liu Toso, hopefully they get some minutes.

Exsilium

First Grade
Thinking beyond 2019, Cleary needs to step up next year because without a skilled half next to him he will struggle. We need to know he can be that experience we need in the halves and make those winning decisions.

We can’t have two young and inexperienced halves who are learning on the run.

martielang

Bench
I thought we’d seen good signs from Cleary the last few weeks. Seems the shackles have been taken off & looks to be improving. In saying that, I think Maloney hindered him last night by taking too much ball, maybe next year he finds the confidence to become more dominate.

OldPanther

Coach
Ciraldo or Ivan should be our coach next year.

We do have a general discussion thread.

I thought we’d seen good signs from Cleary the last few weeks. Seems the shackles have been taken off & looks to be improving. In saying that, I think Maloney hindered him last night by taking too much ball, maybe next year he finds the confidence to become more dominate.

This^

age.s

First Grade
It might be the disappointment talking but I don't know if I want to see Maloney back next year. He had some great moments among some awful ones, but I was willing to forgive the problems because I figured his experience would make him the big game player who would get it done in the biggest moments of the season. Seeing him bottle it so comprehensively last night just rubs out the reason you put up with the grabby defense and dumb penalties throughout the season.

He was a mill around the teams neck last night. In what way is that going to be different next year?

If there's an opportunity to keep Peachey and send Maloney to the GC I'd grab it with both hands right now.

mxlegend99

Referee
Our team has changed quiet alot each season the past 3 years and stumbled at the exact same point in very similar fashion 3 years in a row.

Can't agree re Maloney. Origin will be Luai's on chance to play

If we’re any chance next year we need Maloney fit, if he plays origin there’s less chance of that.

I don’t see Luai having 2 games in the middle of the season making a huge difference.

If the club can’t convince Maloney to retire from rep footy though I’d see if we can move him on.

unKwn

Juniors
Maloney winning an origin series this year will influence his decision in retiring from rep footy for next year.

tripster

Juniors
We finished 5th after a horrendous injury toll, and having our coach sacked a few weeks out of from the end of the year. We then lost to the Sharks by 1 point.

I am confident about next year.

ashton

Juniors
Wingers too small. Most of the top sides have tall wingers with pace.
Need a class fullback with pace and that can tackle. DWZ didn't get a hand on Lewis last night. Poor defence
More pace in the back line.
Merrin poor.......show him the door.
Sam McKendrey needs to be moved on.
Katoa offers nothing from hooker. NSW cup standard. Still not sold on Egan.
Need to purchase a quality hooker. All the top 4 sides have good hookers.
Need at least one quality front rower. All of our front rowers have been average.
Our only signings for next year are Tim Grant and MWZ at least that strenghtens or NSW cup side.

Copperhead

Juniors
Wingers too small. Most of the top sides have tall wingers with pace.
Need a class fullback with pace and that can tackle. DWZ didn't get a hand on Lewis last night. Poor defence
More pace in the back line.
Merrin poor.......show him the door.
Sam McKendrey needs to be moved on.
Katoa offers nothing from hooker. NSW cup standard. Still not sold on Egan.
Need to purchase a quality hooker. All the top 4 sides have good hookers.
Need at least one quality front rower. All of our front rowers have been average.
Our only signings for next year are Tim Grant and MWZ at least that strenghtens or NSW cup side.

Agree with all that. I like Mansour, but I can't believe we resigned him, his best is in the past. His poor defense and problems under the high ball are still in our future. Next cab off the rank Brian Too is short as well.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think we need a hooker. Even Luke on a one year deal. I really like our guys, they just aren’t good enough yet.

I’m not sure how I feel about May. I’d be happy to see him go to the Titans if it means we can keep Peach.

DWZ impressed me all year. Love the guy.

Happy to see Merrin and Tamou move on, but they must be replaced with a big body.

Happy with Ciro to remain. I don’t think he’ll let us down.

Bring on 2019!