What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2: Sharks vs Panthers

OldPanther

Coach
TheFrog's Player Ratings

Watene-Zelezniak 7
Mansour 6
Blake 7
Peachey 5
Crichton 5
Maloney 5
Cleary 7
Merrin 3
Katoa 5
Campbell-Gillard 7
Kikau 8
Yeo 7
Fisher-Harris 7

May 4
Leota 7
Harawira-Naera 6
Tamou 7

Referee Klein (5)

I don't understand how you give RCG and Tamou the same rating. Tamou was much better.

martielang

Bench
Yep, but that’s what makes the Sharks so good. They have a pack that compliments each other perfectly. They have forwards that play stock standard footy like Prior, Woods etc & then have someone like Fifita who plays a bit wider & either goes sideways or backwards or makes a 20m+ run. They can afford to have him cos the others do their job. Maybe Hetherington can be our man like that?

Watched the game again & while I can see he made a couple of errors, I still think Katoa wasn’t that bad. His try assist broke open the game when we didn’t look like scoring at any point. Was also a product of our whole team being so frantic, which we normally aren’t. He looked to get tired & I think it would of been a perfect game to have Egan on the bench to play 25 - 30mins.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but Yeo was tremendous. What a performance from him & DWZ. Crichton too was very good. Another bloke people are writing off. He’ll continue to improve & be a very good winger.

OldPanther

Coach
There is only one stat that matters. The scoreline. After 70 minutes it was level.

When doing player ratings the score is irrelevant. It's suppose to be an indication of an individual players game. Stats show that more than the score does.

Reg played more minutes.

Again irrelevant. You put too much stock in that when doing your ratings. Leota was one of our best forwards along with Tamou but Reg gets an equal score for just being on the field. It's massively inaccurate.

TheFrog

Coach
When doing player ratings the score is irrelevant. It's suppose to be an indication of an individual players game. Stats show that more than the score does.

Again irrelevant. You put too much stock in that when doing your ratings. Leota was one of our best forwards along with Tamou but Reg gets an equal score for just being on the field. It's massively inaccurate.
I've put RCG back to 6. Don't usually do this but it was borderline.

age.s

First Grade
I didnt think RCG was that bad. A couple of big runs early. A costly mistake in his second stint. But his charge down of Townends first FG attempt was behind only Kukaus run as the play of the game imo. I could handle a 7.

I do agree Tamou shades him though.

franklin2323

Immortal
There is only one stat that matters. The scoreline. After 70 minutes it was level.

One try was an error from Holmes.
One just strength from Yeo
Another was Kikau hitting a hole

Not like they came from x player carving up.

Still ended up with 45% possession. 71% completion
Less metres gained. Less linebreaks. More missed tackles

In such cases ratings will reflect such

Copperhead

Juniors
One try was an error from Holmes.
One just strength from Yeo
Another was Kikau hitting a hole

Not like they came from x player carving up.

Still ended up with 45% possession. 71% completion
Less metres gained. Less linebreaks. More missed tackles

In such cases ratings will reflect such

There's some consolation in playing poorly and still being able to go close.
Kikau is now (all year really) our best player. Worn out, broken down, but that run was incredible.

Kudos to Holmes for the short kickoff perfectly executed. Saved the game for them.

Frankus

Juniors
Having had time to reflect on the loss:

We were simply shell shocked in the first half. The Sharks played a near perfect 40 mins of football. They would have been up by 12-18 points against any side in the comp if they had that much possession and pressure. Mark my words, we were beaten by a very good side. That was inexperience and nerves. Tamou really should have started that game. He was really, really good when he came on and you could tell he was on the field. The middle third tightened up, Sharks play the balls slowed down and he is one tough hombre to get on the deck and on his back. For all his detractors on here, he was great last night.

The second half we were definitely the better team but we didn't take enough of our chances. Next season we need to stop with the side to side, give our halves some options with bodies in motion and have our edge forwards running hard, straight lines when we are in the attacking 20.

When we click and we are dominating that middle third, we are a very difficult side to play against. However and this happens far too often, when our forwards just roll over and show our bellies we get ripped to pieces.

We need that relentless, ruthless defence all game. Focus on that and our attack will look after itself. Yeo should be what Toni Carroll was to Darren Lockyer down Maloney's edge. Yeo also needs to work on adding a decent fend to his repertoire. Kikau in the same position as Yeo in the first half brushes off Moylan and scores, I have no doubt.

Katoa needs to find an extra 30 minutes in his gas tank and he will become an elite hooker.

DWZ should seriously be considered as our starting full back for next season. I like Edwards but DWZ was probably our best player in the final 10 rounds of the season (and he was injured himself for probably 4 of those).

I'm not going to defend Maloney, he played poorly but at the ground you could constantly see him barking instructions and directing play. For all he did wrong, I don't think we come back the way we did without him. If he hadn't made several mistakes, we probably win last night but that is life.

I am very confident we can go a couple of games further next season.

Chin up ladies and gents. Onwards and upwards for 2019.

franklin2323

Immortal
There's some consolation in playing poorly and still being able to go close.
Kikau is now (all year really) our best player. Worn out, broken down, but that run was incredible.

Kudos to Holmes for the short kickoff perfectly executed. Saved the game for them.

It is good like that on the flip side imagine what we could do if we play our best

Kikau and Blake I think can be proud of how well they went across the year.

The rest over the backend of the year should be disappointed with their consistency. Tamou aside he was the opposite ordinary early on but came good.

We should be there about again next year. Whether we are ready for that next step is the question

OldPanther

Coach
Ciro showing some passion.

giphy.gif