What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The field goal - get rid of it completely?

gitano

Juniors
It's a blight on the game. Dog pool.
Souffs rely purely on quick play the balls from legs tackles. Another blight on the game but don't get me started on that

BranVan3000

Coach
It's a blight on the game. Dog pool.
Souffs rely purely on quick play the balls from legs tackles. Another blight on the game but don't get me started on that
... that’s how the game is meant to be played. Not this wrestling trash that has enveloped the game

Wizardman

First Grade
What a f**king brainless idea. How else are you meant to break a deadlock as effectively in normal or extra time?

gitano

Juniors
... that’s how the game is meant to be played. Not this wrestling trash that has enveloped the game
No.

Fast play the balls are a blight.

We need to get back to the days where halves create. Watching Souffs is garbage. Cook is only useful when there's no markers and good tackles and rewarded. It's garbage theatre

Card Shark

Immortal
The field goal is the only scoring play worth an odd number of points & is generally what decides a close game, albeit in a shit fight.

With the advent of the kicking tee & kickers hardly missing, I’d like to see tries worth 5 to separate teams that love their penalty goal.

Other than that, let’s go back to a pile of dirt & see who the best kickers are.

siv

First Grade
Field goals are fine. They have a place in rugby league

Its golden point in regular premiership matvhes that is the problem. Let a draw be a draw

You have seen in the finals so far you dont need golden point period for a golden point style finish to a game

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
as a very repetitive game, rugby league needs to retain elements that provide diversity in gameplay, not reduce them as seems to be the tendancy.

Springs09

Juniors
No.

Fast play the balls are a blight.

We need to get back to the days where halves create. Watching Souffs is garbage. Cook is only useful when there's no markers and good tackles and rewarded. It's garbage theatre

Oh right yes. More wrestling please.

This Year?

Immortal
I saw 3 field goals set up and executed perfectly last Saturday night. I don't have a problem with the field goal because if you miss, you're giving the opposition a 7 tackle set from their 20.

Bazal

Post Whore
I saw 3 field goals set up and executed perfectly last Saturday night. I don't have a problem with the field goal because if you miss, you're giving the opposition a 7 tackle set from their 20.

That's one thing I do hate. It shouldn't be a seven tackle set after a missed field goal...the idea was to stop teams nullifying the kick returns by thumping the ball dead. That doesn't apply to a field goal shot.

Any talk of getting rid of field goals is idiocy. If anything I wonder why sides don't take more. Especially when you snap one to go one point up and then get down the other end soon after. Reynolds, for eg, could have snapped a second pretty much straight after his first on the weekend to go to a two point lead. It just takes out the last minute one point to send it to ET, the opposition has to score a try to win in normal time.

This Year?

Immortal
That's one thing I do hate. It shouldn't be a seven tackle set after a missed field goal...the idea was to stop teams nullifying the kick returns by thumping the ball dead. That doesn't apply to a field goal shot.

Any talk of getting rid of field goals is idiocy. If anything I wonder why sides don't take more. Especially when you snap one to go one point up and then get down the other end soon after. Reynolds, for eg, could have snapped a second pretty much straight after his first on the weekend to go to a two point lead. It just takes out the last minute one point to send it to ET, the opposition has to score a try to win in normal time.

For mine I like it because taking a field goal is seen as the "easy option". If you miss then you're giving the opposition a decent chance of returning serve.

Totally agree with you for the second paragraph. There are many opportunities during a game to kick field goals. I'm surprised sides don't do it more often instead of trying to get a repeat set or set up for a field goal to make the defence rush up then go for the try.