What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ Herald: Tonga warm up match against New Zealand Māori in October

Burns

First Grade
"Rotorua, get set for a Tongan invasion – and some of the biggest names in the NRL.

The geothermal city could host a blockbuster test match next month between Tonga and New Zealand Māori.

If it goes ahead, the game would be staged a week before Tonga's historic clash with the Kangaroos in Auckland on October 20.

Tonga were arguably the most popular team at last year's World Cup, selling out matches in Hamilton (twice) and Auckland, on their memorable run to the last four.

Mate Ma'a Tonga boast some of the best players in the sport, including Cowboys lock Jason Taumalolo, Cronulla prop Andrew Fifita and Warriors winger David Fusitu'a.

Depending on Kiwis' commitments, the Māori side could feature the likes of Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Greg Eastwood and Bodene Thompson.

The Herald on Sunday understands that plans are well underway for the match, which would engender a lot of interest.

There are some concerns about the short lead time, but if the financial model stacks up, it's expected the game will go ahead.

The Māori could draw from a large reservoir of talent, with New Zealand depth in the NRL at an all time high.

There's also the possibility that Kiwis players not involved in the test against the Kangaroos in Auckland on October 13 could be used in the Rotorua clash, to get valuable game time ahead of the three test tour of England.

Such a match would attract a lot of interest, and also be a boost for the sport in this country and around the region.

It would mean Tonga will have three test matches in 2018, a far cry from earlier this decade when they sometimes went 12 months without assembling, especially in non World Cup years.

It would solidify their status as a burgeoning force in the world game.

The proposed match would be just as significant for New Zealand Māori.

The last time Aotearoa Māori faced a fully fledged international side was in 2010 against England.

The match was played ahead of the Four Nations and the Māori team, featuring Kevin Locke, James Tamou, Russell Packer and Kevin Proctor drew 18-18 with the Lions in Auckland.

"For me, as a spokesman for Māori rugby league, it's been way too long," coach Mark Horo told the Herald earlier this year. "We need to be playing more often, especially with the talent out there."

Horo's message was heeded by the NRL, with the rejigged All Stars game next February.

That sees a New Zealand Māori selection face an Australian Indigenous team, which will revive interest in the composite team.

If the fixture is successful, then the annual event will grow year on year, and there may be room for a New Zealand Māori side to be included in the mid year representative window."

Source: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12125839
~~~~~~~~

Great news if this is pulled off. Probably the easiest thing to arrange at such short notice, and would be a money spinner for [???? - who actually hosts the match???].

As to the last sentence, the Maori side should not replace a Samoa/PNG/Fiji in any mid year rep window.

morningstar

Juniors
Test match?!

Other than that win win for everybody if it goes ahead. Handy warm up for Tonga and good for NZ that the some of the non-test touring squad get a game before the UK.

yakstorm

First Grade
You would hope that a NZ Maori team would only be considered for the Mid-Year Representative window to provide an opportunity for the likes of a Cook Islands or someone else new to take part.

The scary thing with Tonga set to play the Maori in Hamilton, is this game will be on the same weekend as the Australia v NZ match, and may potentially draw a larger crowd if the Tongan community gets behind it. Still any interest in Rugby League is a good thing, and its extremely important Tonga has a warm up match.

Matua

Bench
So, I wonder if it is a NZ only Maori team or a Maori team like the one they're talking about to play the Indigenous All Stars that is inclusive of non NZ eligible Maori players?

The strength of the team will depend on who is available - including from the Kiwis and whether clubs release them. A close to full strength team will be decent but if they have to put out a 2nd or 3rd string it could get ugly.

Burns

First Grade
I’m uncertain how to feel about Tonga v Maori outdrawing Australia v New Zealand potentiality.

On one hand, shows that’s the NZRL should play Tonga every year and earn money, but then shows how little regard the Kiwis are held.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
From what I gather (please correct me if I'm wrong) the majority of support in New Zealand for rugby league comes from the Polynesian communities largely made up of Tongans and Samoans. Those fans were always going to jump ship to Tonga or Samoa if they assembled anything like a competitive world class squad.

Matua

Bench
From what I gather (please correct me if I'm wrong) the majority of support in New Zealand for rugby league comes from the Polynesian communities largely made up of Tongans and Samoans. Those fans were always going to jump ship to Tonga or Samoa if they assembled anything like a competitive world class squad.
I'd suggest you're wrong. There's a mix of fans, however, the Tongan's are crazy supportive of Tonga (in any sport) and come out in droves to support them. They were great in the Rugby World Cup in 2011 and were mostly great last year until they went a bit stupid at the end.

Also, none of the Samoan-NZers in the Kiwis have jumped ship (touch wood) so I think they can be discounted in this discussion.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Would have been better in my view to get Tonga playing another pacific team but this is a good outcome given the lack of time to get it happening. Good on Tonga!

Matua

Bench
Would have been better in my view to get Tonga playing another pacific team but this is a good outcome given the lack of time to get it happening. Good on Tonga!
Well technically they are. ;)

As I said above it all depends on whether the Maori team have access to their best available players. Depending on whether the Kiwis release players not needed for Oz test (and if say Benji is available) the Maori might have a better halves combination.

Billythekid

First Grade
The more Tonga games the better. Also the more games in NZ the better. It's not the ideal set up this year but better than nothing. We need to get more regular games between Tonga, Samoa and NZ and preferably in NZ. Would also like to see more of PNG, again preferably at home.

I guess you should always keep your expectations on check when it comes to international league.

Matua

Bench
So the NRL don't want to force countries to play more games with Tonga in the interests of international league, they only want to force countries to let Australia play games against Tonga at a cheap venue.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Couldn’t Tonga just play a warmup against New Zealand A or a prime ministers 13 drawing from players playing in NZ’s domestic competition and the warriors NSW cup side??

Pommy

Coach
Isn’t this post grand final and long before the pre season starts? What’s the NRL got to do with it?

Burns

First Grade
I get the impression that Walco Events wanted the NRL to cover the financial costs?

Latest posts