What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If a player throws a ball deliberately into another player there will be a penalty

Travitoh

First Grade
Cameron Murray made no attempt to get out of the way and if anything, was making himself as big as possible by remaining on his hands and knees.
I understand and have seen examples of why the rule is in place but that in my eyes wasn't one of them.
JDB was there to recieve the pass from McInnes which should imo give benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Should just be play on rather than a penalty

That's how I saw it. The rule was brought into play to stop the ridiculous ones like the Will Smith one where he dropped the ball on a guy who was 1m behind him impeding no one.

Last nights Murry literally sat there in McInness way, there still needs to be an onus on the defender to get out of the way otherwise players can just purposely block a dummyhalf from passing.

JB04

Juniors
I didn’t see the game last night but watched the replay earlier - Murray made no attempt to move and McInnes wasn’t even looking, he had eyes for the first receiver. That’s an instance Toddles didn’t think about when pulling this rule out of his ass. Should have been a play on. And for the record I support neither bunnies nor dragons but I think dragons were hard done by tbh

Bandwagon

Staff member
Just plain dumb

f**k it off and just penalise the defender if he doesn't get out of the way in the ruck.( what the original rule was intended to enforce )

If the dummy half plays it deliberately into the defender, play on, there's then no incentive to do so because the ball bouncing around behind the ruck is far worse than a slow and shit play the ball

Chook Norris

First Grade
I hope we see continued penalties like last night's just to highlight to the NRL how much they've f**ed up the rule change. Clearly there needs to be more onus on the defender rolling out of the way. How they made the rule change without that simple principle in mind, I'll never know

Last edited:

jc155776

Coach
There is nothing illegal about throwing the ball into a player in the ruck. It can be a knock on or forward pass, or play on and no penalty, or a penalty against the player in the ruck.

How the f**k didbthey invent a rule to penalise the team in possession for doing something that may disadvantage them if a penalty isn’t given?

AJB1102

First Grade
Murray has to get right outta the ruck or lay flat on the ground until the ball has been passed. If he does that and hooker still gets him with the pass then penalise the attacking side, or just play on.

The only one who should have been pinged in this case is Murray. What if you tackle a winger on the sideline, just kneel beside the ruck on the open side and force a scoot from dummyhalf?

Why have a rules committee bursting with RL playing and coaching experience if some pencil neck in a suit can just make new rules on the fly? Something had to be done after the weekend where this trend looked like taking off but it was just a little commonsense required by the refs to spot bullshit like Will Smith's attempt and call play on or knock on.

McLovin

Staff member
It was the correct call. Murray sat there like a statue and the dragons player passed it straight into him. Had Murray moved he would've been penalised.

Murray = smart
Mcinnes = dumb

OzDragon

Coach
Just plain dumb

f**k it off and just penalise the defender if he doesn't get out of the way in the ruck.( what the original rule was intended to enforce )

If the dummy half plays it deliberately into the defender, play on, there's then no incentive to do so because the ball bouncing around behind the ruck is far worse than a slow and shit play the ball
That’s seems like logic. We don’t like that there type of thinkin in the NRL.

Bandwagon

Staff member
It was the correct call. Murray sat there like a statue and the dragons player passed it straight into him. Had Murray moved he would've been penalised.

Murray = smart
Mcinnes = dumb

That opinion only serves to illustrate what a complete clusterf**k the rule is, if Murray is "smart" for kneeling next to the the play the ball like that, it infers he is deliberate in his actions of not clearing the ruck.

And if a player is deliberately doing that, it is a penalty to the attack, only that the new rule says if the ref reckons that he's kinda sorta not in the way because he's not moving enough, and he gets hit by the ball, it's a penalty against the attack.

Now for mine that is plain dumb.

Tommy Smith

Referee
That's how I saw it. The rule was brought into play to stop the ridiculous ones like the Will Smith one where he dropped the ball on a guy who was 1m behind him impeding no one.
This brings back memories of the Will Smith incident. Holy f**k that was horrendous.

A moments silence in remembrance of the fact that the Eels actually received a penalty for that.

Bill Harrigan would have sin binned Smith for that shit. RIP refs who used common sense on the field.

Springs09

Juniors
Everyone called for this when there was an epidemic of dummy halves deliberately throwing it into players in the ruck. Now it's penalised and everyone says it's such a stupid rule.

Bullshit McInnes didn't see Murray in the ruck. He's a foot away. Doesn't matter if he wasn't looking directly at him. If that was somehow 'accidental' then it's an awful dummy half move and McInnes must have very bad tunnel vision.

That said there's no reason why it ever had to be a penalty to either side and not just play on.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Everyone called for this when there was an epidemic of dummy halves deliberately throwing it into players in the ruck. Now it's penalised and everyone says it's such a stupid rule.

Bullshit McInnes didn't see Murray in the ruck. He's a foot away. Doesn't matter if he wasn't looking directly at him. If that was somehow 'accidental' then it's an awful dummy half move and McInnes must have very bad tunnel vision.

That said there's no reason why it ever had to be a penalty to either side and not just play on.

Everyone had an issue when dummyhalves were deliberately throwing the ball into guys who were lying to the side of the ruck impeding no one.

This one was different. Murry was sitting up directly in line with McInnes and made no effort to get out of the way.

Latest posts