What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New format agreed

roughyedspud

Coach
The loop games aren’t for the benefit of TV. They are for the benefit of lazy clubs whose only marketing ploy is to stage more and more games. They really do believe that quantity is better than quality.

Spot on....it's the lazy chairmen that want 14 home games..

The reason for the stupid 8s was cos they wanted more home games..that didn't won't so now we gave the shit 6s...f**king dumb....even dumber if they play the shit 6s after the regular home & away season.....hide the shit 6s in with the regular games.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Top 5 playoffs is a positive at least even if theres to many games to get to that point. The chairmen don't seem to understand thr concept of scarcity in sport rather than a flood of lower quality games.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Top 5 playoffs is a positive at least even if theres to many games to get to that point. The chairmen don't seem to understand thr concept of scarcity in sport rather than a flood of lower quality games.
They want money and TV networks want content. The EFL season is 46 matches plus playoffs and 2 Cup competitions. Market saturation is how British sport works.

roughyedspud

Coach
Christ man..thought u was dead..lol

Sky do indeed want content,they pay a premium for exclusive rights...yet only choose to broadcast,what?,a 1/3 of the SL games each week??

It's about time the RFL/ESL told sky to broadcast more games if they want exclusive rights..

If it was up-to me I'd split the SL TV rights into 2 packages..

Package 1 - Thurs,Fri,Saturday (&Easter Monday) games, aimed at sky & bt
Package 2 - a Sunday game & SL highlights show, aimed at free to air.

If sky want exclusivity then put package 2 on pick TV,sky's freeview channel.

adamkungl

Immortal
They scrapped the exciting part (Qualifiers) and kept the boring part (Super 8s rebranded as loop fixtures).

Season needs to be shorter with less repeat matches. Games need to be played and broadcast in consistent timeslots. Quality over quantity. Eventually, slowly this will sink in with the peanuts running the clubs, and in 4-5 years they'll do another painful re-format with an incremental step towards sanity.

On the other hand, Top 5 finals is an obvious improvement.

Should have kept an MPG playoff for SL-11th vs Ch-2nd.

Regarding 12 or 14 teams in SL, either can work. Finances probably keep 12 in place unless the next TV deal gives a boost, which seems unlikely. 16 the quality would be stretched very thin and 10 is too few to remain interesting, especially with the high amount of games.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...volutionise-rugby-league-with-ambitious-plans

Eddie Hearn has said he would “revolutionise” British rugby league if he was given a central role in transforming its fortunes. But the boxing promoter has warned clubs he would be open to making significant changes, including the removal of the salary cap, to allow the sport to fulfil its potential.

Hearn is due to meet the Rugby Football League chief executive, Ralph Rimmer, and the head of Super League, Robert Elstone, to discuss becoming involved in the game’s promotion.

He and his father, Barry, were guests at August’s Challenge Cup final, after Hearn previously revealed to the Guardian in March how he was keen to help transform events such as the cup if asked.

Hearn previously said it would be difficult to do anything more than promote stand-alone events for the RFL, something he is still open to doing, but he has now revealed he and his promotion company, Matchroom, would be interested in a far bigger role if everyone within the sport was receptive to their ambitious plans.

“There’s the foundations of a great sport here,” Hearn said. “It’s very easy to understand and it’s fast-paced, which is great news in terms of attracting casual supporters. But there’s a distinct lack of those at the minute. There are things we’re going to bring up that certain people won’t like. But if the game wants to grow, those conversations need to be had.

“We’re going to meet Robert and Ralph. I think all the relevant people need to be in the same room and we can hear each others’ views. But we can revolutionise anything we get our hands on. Whatever we’re asked to do, we know we have the ability to smash it.”

Hearn’s comments on the salary cap, which limits Super League clubs’ spending on wages to £1.9m per season, indicate a more serious intent to shake things up, reiterating his previous stance that rugby league currently has no real superstars. “My dad already has some strong views on the cap which I’m not sure Ralph or the clubs will agree on,” he said.

“But I don’t see the idea of everyone on the same level-playing field as great in some respects. The cap makes it a bit boring in a way, the big clubs need to dominate, like when rugby league was powerful in the 1980s with Wigan and St Helens. If the richer owners are pumping their money in to get the best players and create the biggest stars, surely that’s a good thing for the sport as a whole.”

The meeting comes at an interesting time, with Elstone pressing ahead on his mission to revamp Super League’s profile following the successful vote to change the domestic league structure last week. All 12 top-flight clubs recently met to discuss a number of issues. Among them were verbal guarantees that Widnes will receive a parachute payment of £500,000.

deluded pom?

Coach
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...volutionise-rugby-league-with-ambitious-plans

Eddie Hearn has said he would “revolutionise” British rugby league if he was given a central role in transforming its fortunes. But the boxing promoter has warned clubs he would be open to making significant changes, including the removal of the salary cap, to allow the sport to fulfil its potential.

Hearn is due to meet the Rugby Football League chief executive, Ralph Rimmer, and the head of Super League, Robert Elstone, to discuss becoming involved in the game’s promotion.

He and his father, Barry, were guests at August’s Challenge Cup final, after Hearn previously revealed to the Guardian in March how he was keen to help transform events such as the cup if asked.

Hearn previously said it would be difficult to do anything more than promote stand-alone events for the RFL, something he is still open to doing, but he has now revealed he and his promotion company, Matchroom, would be interested in a far bigger role if everyone within the sport was receptive to their ambitious plans.

“There’s the foundations of a great sport here,” Hearn said. “It’s very easy to understand and it’s fast-paced, which is great news in terms of attracting casual supporters. But there’s a distinct lack of those at the minute. There are things we’re going to bring up that certain people won’t like. But if the game wants to grow, those conversations need to be had.

“We’re going to meet Robert and Ralph. I think all the relevant people need to be in the same room and we can hear each others’ views. But we can revolutionise anything we get our hands on. Whatever we’re asked to do, we know we have the ability to smash it.”

Hearn’s comments on the salary cap, which limits Super League clubs’ spending on wages to £1.9m per season, indicate a more serious intent to shake things up, reiterating his previous stance that rugby league currently has no real superstars. “My dad already has some strong views on the cap which I’m not sure Ralph or the clubs will agree on,” he said.

“But I don’t see the idea of everyone on the same level-playing field as great in some respects. The cap makes it a bit boring in a way, the big clubs need to dominate, like when rugby league was powerful in the 1980s with Wigan and St Helens. If the richer owners are pumping their money in to get the best players and create the biggest stars, surely that’s a good thing for the sport as a whole.”

The meeting comes at an interesting time, with Elstone pressing ahead on his mission to revamp Super League’s profile following the successful vote to change the domestic league structure last week. All 12 top-flight clubs recently met to discuss a number of issues. Among them were verbal guarantees that Widnes will receive a parachute payment of £500,000.
The parachute payment may be split two ways (£250,000 each) if a second SL team is relegated.

NRLMad

Juniors
I’ve been watching the super league due to Catalans and hopefully now Toronto over the last few years. I like the concept of moving teams between grades based on merit.

So with the change, does it mean that effectively Toulouse could stack their squad for a year and then they’d potentially boot number 12 next year? Is there a salary cap in the lower grade?

The whole premise of moving up grades is a good one as if you have wealthy benefactors you can move grades over a few years.

The downside is that you lose $ and support if you are relegated and which companies want to be paying $ for a 3 years deal when half or more could be on a cow paddock with no tv exposure in front of 1000 people.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
For 2019 is there any confirmation on how many teams are entering league one? I've heard some rumblings that the RFL want the southern teams to split off to a seperate league but they are reluctant. Also specifically what about West Wales and the mooted Bristol side whats the story there?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’ve been watching the super league due to Catalans and hopefully now Toronto over the last few years. I like the concept of moving teams between grades based on merit.

So with the change, does it mean that effectively Toulouse could stack their squad for a year and then they’d potentially boot number 12 next year? Is there a salary cap in the lower grade?

The whole premise of moving up grades is a good one as if you have wealthy benefactors you can move grades over a few years.

The downside is that you lose $ and support if you are relegated and which companies want to be paying $ for a 3 years deal when half or more could be on a cow paddock with no tv exposure in front of 1000 people.

The salary cap is the same for all three levels to allow ambitious clubs to rise through the ranks quickly and to allow championship clubs to compete with SL clubs in the Super 8's qualifiers.

Also the scenario you painted about going up and down based on having a wealthy benefactor or not is pretty much the recent story of Salford and to a lesser extent Leigh.

NRLMad

Juniors
The salary cap is the same for all three levels to allow ambitious clubs to rise through the ranks quickly and to allow championship clubs to compete with SL clubs in the Super 8's qualifiers.

Also the scenario you painted about going up and down based on having a wealthy benefactor or not is pretty much the recent story of Salford and to a lesser extent Leigh.
How much is it?

Tigers1986

Juniors
For 2019 is there any confirmation on how many teams are entering league one? I've heard some rumblings that the RFL want the southern teams to split off to a seperate league but they are reluctant. Also specifically what about West Wales and the mooted Bristol side whats the story there?

On the English website it states that League 1 has 12 clubs participating in it in 2019. I'd assume that nobody 'new' is going to enter. West Wales will by all accounts remain. Maybe they can obtain a victory next year and not be belted by 60+ a week. I think they got done by 100+ on 5 occasions.

Latest posts