What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Sport Broadcasting - NRL etc

Gronk

Staff member
'Netflix of sport': Foxtel boss unveils plans to disrupt its business
Jennifer Duke20 September 2018 — 11:48am

News Corp's Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany is intending to make the pay-TV platform a “Netflix of sport” as part of plans to keep up with the changing way Australians consume content.

Mr Delany said telecommunications companies' sports apps, such as Telstra's AFL Live App, would see the price for digital rights jump in the next round of sports broadcast negotiations as some viewers are substituting traditional TV options for mobile.

“On the other hand we have to monetise our rights … we will be doing that through new and exciting ways soon,” Mr Delany said. “Think about the Netflix of sport.”

The six-year $2.5 billion AFL deal was struck in 2015 between Fox Sports, Seven and Telstra. Telstra paid $300 million of the deal for handset and digital device rights, Seven paid $840 million in cash and $60 million in contra and News Corp paid $1.3 billion.

Australian Football League chief executive Gillon McLachlan said mobile phone media consumption and the different interests of Millennials were major considerations for the sporting code.

“Clearly, where Patrick is going with his Netflix of sport acknowledges that consumption has changed,” he said.

He described the partnerships with Foxtel on pay-TV, Seven West Media as the free-to-air broadcaster for the AFL, and Telstra as the digital partner offering access to games through an app as “complementary”.

“And if you take Friday night’s game last week … the average rating was about 1.7 million people, Foxtel had about 460,000 of those watching a different proposition so it was ad-free siren to siren, it had a much deeper detailed analysis of the game. Channel Seven are more for everyone than just the hardcore football [fans],” he said.

“And then for people who can’t be there, out and about, there’s a streaming service,” he said, noting Telstra’s rights are restrained to seven-inch screens.

Mr McLachlan would not share the figure for how many watched over the app but agreed it was “potentially” hundreds of thousands.

The newly merged Foxtel and Fox Sports company is 35 per cent owned by Telstra and 65 per cent owned by News Corp. Telstra’s share in Foxtel, prior to the merger, was 50 per cent.

Mr Delany said the increased audience on mobile would affect how much media companies would be willing to pay for rights.

“If it’s substituting off the broadcast rights then you could look at it as a degradation of our viewership. You can look at it for the next rights deal there’s a lot more money that has to go into getting those mobile rights because it’s not actually an ever-expanding pie, it’s usually pieces moving around,” he said.

“I do think if there’s millions of people who are activating on their mobile there must be some substitution, which means that gets sorted out in the next rights deal.”

Jennifer Duke attended Telstra Vantage as a guest of Telstra.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-to-disrupt-its-business-20180920-p504w2.html

Gronk

Staff member
Pay TV under threat from Optus, Telstra push into sports rights

Telecommunications companies' push into sports content and 'telcotainment' poses a threat to traditional pay TV players, like News Corp's Foxtel, with one in five of those intending to cancel their subscriptions switching to sports apps.

Young men are the most likely to stop spending on pay TV due to telcos' apps, particularly for sport, according to a survey of 2000 people by Deloitte for the Media Consumer Survey 2018 released on Monday. More than 40 per cent of that group said they use mobile phone apps to watch sports.

Australia's largest telco Telstra has a 35 per cent stake in the recently merged Foxtel/Fox Sports.

In an increasingly competitive mobile and broadband environment, with prices squeezed as providers aim to retain customers and gain new ones at the expense of their rivals, differentiating a service based on content has become a major strategy for Singtel Optus and Telstra.

Optus recently bought the rights to the English Premier League games, and the 2018 World Cup that
ended up being shared with free-to-air public broadcaster SBS
after outages on the Optus Sport app left some Australians unable to watch the matches.

About 10 per cent of men surveyed had a subscription to Telstra's AFL Live app, 6 per cent had an NRL Live Pass and 11 per cent had access to Optus Sport. These subscriptions can be bought by those without a service with the telco for a fee, however are typically bundled with a mobile or broadband subscription.

Deloitte technology, media and telco lead partner Kimberly Chang told Fairfax Media the increase spending of mobile providers on content has become "well established" with "consumption of data continuously on the rise".

"It’s a win, win. Telcos can differentiate with the quality of their network and the specific types of content they offer and exclusivity," Ms Chang said, "And customers are getting the maximum value."

The survey found 70 per cent of Australians considered content a "major factor" when choosing their telco, while 79 per cent said it was a major reason why they were sticking with their current telco. Video and music-streaming services were popular in bundles as well, with 21 per cent of those subscribing to these services doing so through a telco plan with all the bills bundled together.

"It’s all about differentiation, being able to say 'buy with us and get access to the AFL app for free or [get] streaming of games in high-definition'," Ms Chang said.

While these moves pose a threat to players like Foxtel, with one of the leading reasons for Australians to obtain a pay TV subscription being access to sport, there hasn't been a substantial exodus away from these traditional services. In some cases, telcos have partnerships with pay TV and over-the-top providers, like Optus with Fetch and Telstra TV.

In August, News Corporation revealed Foxtel had stemmed its decline in subscribers, with 2.8 million paying for the service at the end of fiscal 2018. This was about the same recorded in 2017, which was down from 2.9 million the year before partly due to the closure of Presto.

About 31 per cent of households still have pay TV access, and 16 per cent said they intend to stop paying for their subscription in the coming year compared to 20 per cent in Deloitte's 2017 survey.

The most common reason for wanting to cancel pay TV was sufficient content from streaming services, like Netflix and Stan (co-owned by Nine Entertainment Co and the owner of this publication Fairfax Media), followed by access to content on free-to-air television, and people not watching enough television to justify the cost.

Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany recently unveiled Australia's first ultra-high definition 4K channel, which will show games of cricket (the rights are in part shared with Seven West Media), with a clear plan to make the "big screen" live television the heart of the pay-TV appeal for consumers.

Foxtel's first dedicated cricket channel goes to air on Monday, with the first live broadcast in 4K expected soon. A Foxtel spokeswoman said the programming on the pay-TV platform included documentarties, movies, news and drama in addition to sport.

“The response from our customers to the investments we are making to deliver the gold standard in home entertainment has exceeded all our expectations," she said.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-push-into-sports-rights-20180916-p50423.html

Gronk

Staff member
$10: The do-or-die number for Foxtel's 'Netflix of sport' play

Patrick Delany's desire to create a 'Netflix of sport' in Australia will live or die on a few critical decisions. At the top of the list is how it's priced.

The Foxtel chief executive on Thursday for the first time likened the heavily anticipated, sport-based streaming product he has been working on to Netflix, the streaming juggernaut which has disrupted legacy pay TV providers around the world, including in Australia.

Netflix (which does not stream live sport, and insists it has no plans to do so) has been on a meteoric rise in recent years, in part due to its cheap and simple pricing.

The service costs as little as $10 a month in Australia. And, if analysts are to be believed, Delany may need to match that price point for his bold experiment to truly realise its potential.

Of course, most existing subscribers pay much, much more than that each month for Foxtel. Industry chatter suggests Delany's new sport based online product will cost upwards of $20 a month - and there is no suggestion from company sources it will be cheaper than that.

If so it might be a mistake. Morgan Stanley analysts Andrew McLeod and Joseph Michael this week argued a sport-based streaming service costing just $10 a month, aimed at attracting the biggest possible subscriber base, would be a wise option for Foxtel and its shareholders, News Corp and Telstra, to pursue.

This would be a bold change in strategy because Foxtel, effectively a monopoly for most of its existence, has historically maximised prices at the expense of absolute subscriber numbers.

In a Netflix world, that approach no longer works. Foxtel's penetration rate stalled at 30 per cent of Australian homes years ago. Subscribers were flat last year and went backwards for the first time the year before that.

As Delany pointed out this week, his company is shelling out enormous sums for sports broadcast rights - as the $1.2 billion rights deal he led for summer cricket attests. But the economics of investments like that don't stack up when the outlay can't be recovered from 70 per cent of the country.

Morgan Stanley reckons that within three years, a $10 a month streaming service featuring Foxtel's best sport could be taken up by a (Netflix-equalling) 40 per cent of Australian households. Within six years, it could be in 50 per cent (or around 5 million) Aussie homes, and generating $1 billion in revenue through subscriptions and advertising.

The risk, of course, is that the new online sport service is such a hit that it cannibalises Foxtel's existing (and more expensive) product, delivered largely over satellite and cable.

"Yes, it presents a risk," Morgan Stanley said of cannibalisation. "But a greater risk is that if Foxtel doesn't build a dominant [sports streaming] business in Australia, someone else will."

Foxtel has already been moving to position its existing pay TV product as a premium offering by making its ultra high definition 4K broadcasts included in some packages at no extra cost.

There are other significant risks for Delany's streaming product, including technology. Netflix's rivals and peers have consistently underestimated the technical challenges of streaming content online at scale. Live sport adds another layer of complexity to that challenge.

The #floptus debacle lives fresh in the minds of many Australians. The content was actually pretty good, and the pricing of it was tolerable. But the experiment was widely condemned as a failure because the underlying tech simply wasn't up to scratch.

Another challenge will be changing perceptions about Foxtel, which Delany alluded to in an interview with Fairfax back in March shortly after he was appointed CEO.

"We intend to use whatever tech, whatever product formulations, whatever brand we need [to return to growth]," he said. "Maybe we challenge ourselves, because that’s the News Corp and Foxtel way."

Foxtel's perception problem among consumers may prompt Delany to launch the new service under an entirely different brand, in a move that would echo Qantas and Jetstar.

With News Corp and Telstra openly talking about a Foxtel IPO, Delany will hope the new streaming service changes perceptions about the underlying business among investors as well.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1537481863

T.S Quint

Coach
I would be more than happy to pay $20 a month if I can get every game in HD quality. Hell, I pay much more than that for my NFL Game Pass.
Streaming is the way of the future, good to see it is getting some traction.

I cancelled Foxtel this month because all I had it for was Parra games that I didn't go to in person. That was $80 a month for 8 or so games.

I would have kept it if they had a Sports-only package for $20 or so. A streaming service that I can play on my TV for that price would be great.

chiefy1

Juniors
I have a foxtel sports package for 38$ a month.
Just tell the foxtel staff you're wanting to cancel due to higher pricing and they'll do anything to keep your subscription

strider

Post Whore
I got a letter saying they plan to charge me $15 more cos i was on a discounted old package

so i will be ringing them and saying, yeah nah

Gazzamatta

Coach
The young bloke had Foxtel Play (streaming) for $10 per week I think. Allows 3(?) devices so he had 2 and I used one on my smart tv. Was pretty good.

Gronk

Staff member
The young bloke had Foxtel Play (streaming) for $10 per week I think. Allows 3(?) devices so he had 2 and I used one on my smart tv. Was pretty good.
I have Foxtel Now. I watch it though an AppleTV 4K box. I wrangled foxtel free with my internet package. I recently cancelled sport, but when it was connected it cost me $29/m or $7.50/w. I can live with that.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I have Foxtel Platinum so we get Foxtel Go app on 3 devices, and I have 3 sons, so they get the Full Foxtel range for free by using my sign in on the Foxtel Go app

Gronk

Staff member
I have Foxtel Platinum so we get Foxtel Go app on 3 devices, and I have 3 sons, so they get the Full Foxtel range for free by using my sign in on the Foxtel Go app
Are you cable or satellite ?

Interesting that I was offered IQ4 (4k) yesterday for free. It’s satellite only (all cable is being phased out) and looking at their website the satellite does not have the bandwidth to compete with netflix etc. So it seems that to watch foxtel 4k you need the IQ4 4k box so it can buffer using the hardrive. Shitty technology IMO.

3C9DF72A-E5C5-4362-A6B5-9A9534DA82EE.jpeg

TheParraboy

Staff member
I have a foxtel sports package for 38$ a month.
Just tell the foxtel staff you're wanting to cancel due to higher pricing and they'll do anything to keep your subscription

How long you had if for ?

I think im getting duped, Might give them a call
Am paying $55 a month/sports pack, going up to $58 in October
Started $50/month in February 2015

T.S Quint

Coach

I use FOXTEL Go on my computer and phone using my parents’ account. Works for me and they don’t mind.
Only problem is that I don’t get it in HD.

Are you cable or satellite ?

Interesting that I was offered IQ4 (4k) yesterday for free. It’s satellite only (all cable is being phased out) and looking at their website the satellite does not have the bandwidth to compete with netflix etc. So it seems that to watch foxtel 4k you need the IQ4 4k box so it can buffer using the hardrive. Shitty technology IMO.

View attachment 23645

from what i've heard of iq4 there is no buffering the satellite signal is sent in 4k

Latest posts