What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

justdave

Juniors
Won’t be suspended and nor should he
It is a shoulder charge but he made no contact with the head or neck area which is usually the reason you get suspended for these hits

He got clean and flush on the body. Thought it might have warranted a sin bin but that’s not bad enough to warrant a suspension

Not all high tackles warrant a suspension, so the idea that all shoulders do is absurd

As far as shoulder charges go this was as clean as it gets

I think it was a shoulder charge, hitting the body side on at pace can still damage the spinal cord.

But I respect your opinion.

mongoose

Coach
Billy will have to miss the game, cause it will look dodgy as f**k if they let him play, however they need to change the rule. Penalise all shoulder charges but only dangerous ones get suspended starting round 1 next year.

Chook Norris

First Grade
jack wighton got away with a pretty similar shoulder charge against parramatta last year. Wasnt even cited. The nrl also made it their tackle of the week on nrl.com if i recall correctly

They have in general been more lenient of fullbacks defending the try line with the old shoulder charge
Quoting this since it's a very important point.

If various others have gotten away with getting banned for doing similar shoulder charges to Billy, and in similar circumstances, then why would anyone have an issue with Billy getting off?

A lot of the posts on here are otherwise driven by agenda and bias

Perth Tiger

Bench
Not all high tackles warrant a suspension, so the idea that all shoulders do is absurd

Was going to say the same thing.

Penalty is enough.

Time for the media to make up a more compelling story line for the GF

Danish

Referee
Won’t be suspended and nor should he
It is a shoulder charge but he made no contact with the head or neck area which is usually the reason you get suspended for these hits

He got clean and flush on the body. Thought it might have warranted a sin bin but that’s not bad enough to warrant a suspension

Tell that to Joseph Tapine.

He copped a grade 1 charge for an identical hit on Dufty in round 11 this year

Meth

Staff member
I think there's enough doubt about the incident to clear Slater and personally, I think that's good. As much as a rule is a rule, you'd hate to see a player miss the GF for that, even if it's a player you hate.

Although I might feel differently if the Warriors were playing the Storm next week tbh

Perth Tiger

Bench
Hopefully nrl will announce today no charge and the media can actually concentrate on talking about the game.
They might move on but can’t see them actually talking about the game :wink:

It will be some other manufactured controversy or Slater retiring gobfest

Diesel

Coach
If Billy is allowed to play you can see a lot of dirty tactics in the grand final considering it’s going to be his last game

*IF HE GETS TO PLAY

Win-win in my opinion:

1. Slater doesn't play - Suck shit Billy

2. Slater does play - Outrage nationwide, NRL has to re introduce the shoulder charge

Mader45

Juniors
10 pages.... Damn.... Could just be a simple poll.

A) I like Slater. Let him play FFS, whatever he did.
B) I hate the merkin. Sideline him. While we're at it press charges.
C) I like watching the best guys play. Give it a rest and move on.
D) I'm a stickler for the rules. He's got to be charged.
E) The rule was always dumb. About time something happened to make it questionable.
F) I like complaining about everything when given an opportunity!
G) f**k MELBOURNE!
H) I don't understand what is happening! So i'll make a ridiculously unconnected segway into something I do understand instead.

no name

Coach
10 pages.... Damn.... Could just be a simple poll.

A) I like Slater. Let him play FFS, whatever he did.
B) I hate the merkin. Sideline him. While we're at it press charges.
C) I like watching the best guys play. Give it a rest and move on.
D) I'm a stickler for the rules. He's got to be charged.
E) The rule was always dumb. About time something happened to make it questionable.
F) I like complaining about everything when given an opportunity!
G) f**k MELBOURNE!
H) I don't understand what is happening! So i'll make a ridiculously unconnected segway into something I do understand instead.
B through G apply to me.