What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Cronulla have received a penalty try because of Slater's shoulder charge?

Should Cronulla have received a penalty try for Slater's shoulder charge?

• yes

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • no

Votes: 23 57.5%

• Total voters

BLM01

First Grade
As I was writing the Should Slater be suspended thread, I realised that Cronulla should have received a penalty try for Slater's shoulder charge and then a kick for goal under the post. What is the difference between a high tackle or a shoulder charge that prevents a try being scored. I am obviously thinking of us losing the GF due to a penalty try. If Slater didn't make any contact with the Cronulla winger, he obviously would have scored. Did any of the commentators even mention the possibility of a penalty try? Come to think of it Slater probably should have even been sin binned as well, for using foul play to prevent a try being scored.
Disagree to close to the sideline to be conclusive with a legal tackle. Further in field yeh..likely YES

Frank Facer

First Grade
Disagree to close to the sideline to be conclusive with a legal tackle. Further in field yeh..likely YES
But if Slater would have hit him high, like Ainscough did the Melbourne player in the 99 grand final, would it then have warranted a penalty try? What is the difference between a high tackle for a penalty try and a shoulder charge for a penalty try?

I am yet to see another penalty try given for a head high tackle in all my time of following footy for 38 years.

Crush

Coach
I

If Slater gets let off it will be a massive black mark against the NRL and the game as a whole.
Justice or Hypocracy !
Here's to you NRL.
Lol. As if the nrl will rub Slater out of GF. It would cost them too much money. There will be people watching the game just to see Billy's last game. If he doesn't play tv ratings will suffer.
He'll play, and tbh I hope he does. There wasn't much in it.

BLM01

First Grade
But if Slater would have hit him high, like Ainscough did the Melbourne player in the 99 grand final, would it then have warranted a penalty try? What is the difference between a high tackle for a penalty try and a shoulder charge for a penalty try?

I am yet to see another penalty try given for a head high tackle in all my time of following footy for 38 years.
No...but a penatly or sin bin sufficient.
Ainscough hit him in the in goal big difference. Smith caught the ball and just had to fall over naturally. Lot closer than Feki's and there has to be almost a lay down mizarre for there to be a penalty try. Feki's not conclusive as a legal tackle might of still put him in touch

I didn't see it. I wouldn't have watched the game for money. I don't give any sort of a shit what actually happened. But should the scum have got a penalty try? No, Under no circumstances. F*** them.

And if they're whinge-ing about it now, even better.

Latest posts