What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We bid ye farewell SFS!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
sydney-football-stadium4.jpg

As we farewell the old girl tonight, what are your favourite memories, worst stories, remarkable anecdotes from this iconic ground in rugby league history?

Fav:
- souths re-instatement match with bell-ring
- Newcastle GF win
- getting in for free if you rocked up late in the 90s
- "miracle" try

Worsts:
- Campese Mickey-Mouse
- absolutely crap, overpriced greasy slop for food
- a young souths player's mum(?) running on the field after he started convulsing in back play with no one coming to his aid

Pommy

Coach
Well I’ve only been here for three years and have attended probably 6 or 7 times between Souths home games, roosters away, England test and Sydney FC.
My favourite memory has to be game 1 2016 when we smashed roosters 42-10, our season pretty much ended there but it was a great afternoon.

The Marshall

Juniors
Canterbury’s finals runs in 1995 and 1998 hold great memories for me. The back to back comeback games against the Knights and Eels in particular. The Paul Carage meltdown will never be forgotten.

Danish

Referee
2010 semi-final against the tigers is far and away my favourite SFS memory.

ANZAC day 2004 is probably my favourite regular season game.

Honourable mention to the 1991 grand final that I attended as a youngster, along with a couple origins and test matches in the early 90s back when tests were the pinnacle.

Worst memory? That’d be 2009, round 1. A 50 point flogging at the hands of Souths, capped off with the infamous Sandow shouldercharge on SKD.

Some favourite memories (in no particular order):

- 2010 Roosters v Tigers finals match. SKD scoring the winning try in golden point.
- 2002 Roosters v Broncos GF Qualifier. I wsas so happy after the match I literally cried.
- 2000 Roosters v Knights GF Qualifier. Down 16-0 at halftime, Brad Fittler puts on a masterclass of passing and running in the second half to get us the win and a Grand Final berth.
- 2000, Round 9, Roosters v Knights. 5 minutes to go, Knights lead 20-10. Brad Fittler engineers 2 tries, and Craig Fitzgibbon kicks the conversion from the north western touch line to win the match on the bell.
- 1996, Round 6, Roosters v Souths. Roosters win 62-0.
- 1996, Round 14, Monday night Roosters v Broncos. Andrew Gee stuffs up to the then 20 m tap kick giving the Roosters a penalty, with the resulting kick for goal seeing a 12-10 Roosters win. I was sitting right behind the posts when the goal kick went over.
- 1997, ARL Finals Week 1, Roosters v Norths. 20 minutes to go Norths lead 14-0. AS the fulltime hooter sounds, Adrian Lam kicks the ugliest field goal I've seen to force extra time as the scores are locked up at 15 all (after Jason Tyalor had attempted 6 field goals but only kicked 1). Roosters run away in extra time for a 33-21 victory.
- 1999, Round 13, Roosters v Raiders. Canberra lead 22-0 at halftime. Roosters rally behind a grieving Jack Elsegood who's father had died earlier ion the week for a 28-22 victory. Elsegood had his best game for the Roosters.
- 2013, Finals Week 1, Roostesr v Sea Eagles. game goes end to end, both teams playi their guts out in an open yet tough game of footbal with the Roosters winning 4-0 thanks to a Roger Tuivasa-Sheck try in the first half.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
Only been to a few things there.

2015 EF Sharks vs Souths
2017 College football
2017 RLWC games (Lebanon vs Poms and Aussies)
2018 QF Roosters vs Sharks.

My favourite would probably be either the Eng v Lebanon game or the College Football.

Least favourite was the Roosters vs Sharks game. Never had an issue with Sharks fans at games until I heard the shit coming from them, particularly the stuff aimed at Kasey Badger.

Life's Good

Coach
I went to plenty of games there with the standouts for me being:
-Dragons vs. Raiders SF in 1993. Mark Coyne schooled the Raiders outside backs that day.
-Dragons vs. Raiders SF in 1996. The ‘mousetrap’
-Dragons vs. Roosters Anzac Day Games in 2004 & 2012. Classic games decided on the bell.
-Eels vs. Dogs SF in 1998. The very definition of a slow motion car crash unfolding in front of me. It must be tough being an Eels fan.