What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take the emotion away from the bunker

Chimp

Bench
Been thinking about this for a while, and the whole Slater incident has made me think about it even more.

When the bunker is asked to judge on a try, I believe it's possible the decision could be influenced by the current score/time left in the game. The blokes in the bunker are only human and I believe a potential match winning try adds extra pressure (particularly if it's a finals game) and could play a part. As such, as a minimum, I think the blokes in the bunker should not be allowed to know the current score, or time remaining in the game. That way, they are simply judging on what they see, without any emotion or consideration for the ramifications.

As a potential build on this, you could take it a step further, I'm sure there would be technology out there that would enable the footage to be anonymised - essentially black out the colours/faces so that they don't even know which team/players are involved. This could then also be used for incidents of foul play - the match review committee is part of the bunker and review the incidents immediately after the game, they don't see the score, the result or the players involved and simply see the incident (anonymised) and make a decision on whether a charge should be made purely on the incident, again without any knowledge of the ramifications. That way, emotive stuff like the Slater situation is completely removed from the situation.

Removes any potential questions a out integrity.

The first part about bunker not knowing score is an easy fix. Second part is more difficult, but in this day an age, I'm sure it can be done from a technology perspective.

Thoughts?

mave

Coach
Should have been that way from day one.
The whole idea of the "bunker" is that they should be completely unaware of the match sitiation for every decision referred to them.

I also wanted the same people in there for every game, all season, for the sake of consistency.

Minimise as much potential bias, as possible.

Chimp

Bench
"Take human error out of humans"

Good luck
You'll never get rid of human error, but what you can do is remove any potential influences. If nothing else, it at least removes any suggestion of bias/influence etc. Ensures absolute integrity.

DC_fan

Coach
Maybe it’s time for artificial intelligence. Though some may say it’s already there.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Not sure what your saying can even be done unless robots become video ref. Maybe the score could be hidden but most decisions go to video ref so they would generally know the score anyway.

Wouldn’t the video ref know when the start of the game is. They would realize a decision made at 745 is less important than a decision made at 930?

I personally don’t think emotion is used in video ref decisions. Rules are rules and I think video refs are very good overall. The emotion comes from the commentators that have a biased view and agenda of what is actually being reviewed. After watching the coverage tonight Gus and Fitler roosters bias comes to mind. Last night Slater’s tackle was a non issue for all the commentators in the box until about 3 mins later when Fitler from the sideline says it was a shoulder charge. Roy marsters wrote a good article today about it.

Chimp

Bench
Not sure what your saying can even be done unless robots become video ref. Maybe the score could be hidden but most decisions go to video ref so they would generally know the score anyway.

Wouldn’t the video ref know when the start of the game is. They would realize a decision made at 745 is less important than a decision made at 930?

I personally don’t think emotion is used in video ref decisions. Rules are rules and I think video refs are very good overall. The emotion comes from the commentators that have a biased view and agenda of what is actually being reviewed. After watching the coverage tonight Gus and Fitler roosters bias comes to mind. Last night Slater’s tackle was a non issue for all the commentators in the box until about 3 mins later when Fitler from the sideline says it was a shoulder charge. Roy marsters wrote a good article today about it.
Yes they'd know it was near the end of the match, and they'd know how many tries have been refered, but they wouldn't know how many tries has been scored that weren't sent up, or goals kicked - they wouldn't know if it was a decision that is game defining, and I think that's a good place to be.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Yes they'd know it was near the end of the match, and they'd know how many tries have been refered, but they wouldn't know how many tries has been scored that weren't sent up, or goals kicked - they wouldn't know if it was a decision that is game defining, and I think that's a good place to be.

Fair enough.

I just don’t think video refs use emotions. The hard part is that a lot of the decisions that get made in a game by video refs are grey areas. The decision they go with doesn’t make it a emotive decision.

Chimp

Bench
Fair enough.

I just don’t think video refs use emotions. The hard part is that a lot of the decisions that get made in a game by video refs are grey areas. The decision they go with doesn’t make it a emotive decision.
Id like to think it doesn't, but knowing the magnitude of the decision does add additional pressure, pressure that doesn't need to be there. And it removes any question of bias.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Fair enough.

It’s a well known fact Matt Checcin wrote the Mariah Carey hit emotions after a particularly busy night in the bunker

It’s why the nrl are trying get more women to referee

When the communists are in the summer house they make cracking video refs. That’s why two women are never allowed to ref games together. They don’t want their cycles to sync, the nrl need four women each to be the video ref one week a month. With vision like that our game is in good hands

Latest posts