What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We bid ye farewell SFS!

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I have never been to the SFS, and it is something of a regret. I am sure it shits all over the current ANZ. Alas, I hope the new stadium is a stunner.

Origin game 2 was the most memorable occasion I have witnessed for pure heroism and courage. Magnificent performance from the Queenslanders that night.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I have never been to the SFS, and it is something of a regret. I am sure it shits all over the current ANZ. Alas, I hope the new stadium is a stunner.

Origin game 2 was the most memorable occasion I have witnessed for pure heroism and courage. Magnificent performance from the Queenslanders that night.

there is always the buble concert

beave

Coach
Some games I’ve been to-

Bears Broncos final game in 94 where Jason Taylor kicked a FG at the northern end to win it for the Bears and end Brisbanes campaign to go for 3 straight. Mario was on the bench at the end and was jumping around like they had won the GF.

Great game.

2000 NQ beat the Chooks in torrential rain. Official crowd of 4k....... Scott Prince ran riot that day.

The Storms finals games in 99. i had a mate that was from Melbourne and I dragged him to all their games at the SFS during the finals series, you could sense something special was happening with that side.

axl rose

Bench
Some games I’ve been to-

Bears Broncos final game in 94 where Jason Taylor kicked a FG at the northern end to win it for the Bears and end Brisbanes campaign to go for 3 straight. Mario was on the bench at the end and was jumping around like they had won the GF.
Good memories. Bears had so many people behind them that year. Unlucky to come up against the Green Machine, arguably one of the best sides of all time.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hate Souffs but it's hard to top overall that comeback win they had against the Roosters, along with of course the Doggies-Eels 98 prelim (and the semi v Newcastle before it)

In person my favourite memories are probably the 2004 Prelim v Penrith, and the 2014 Semi v Manly

King hit

Coach
Good memories. Bears had so many people behind them that year. Unlucky to come up against the Green Machine, arguably one of the best sides of all time.

My dad was a big bears fan and remembers this game like yesterday. Deadset cracker of a game and the day after was that wonderful 100 minutes battle between Canberra and Canterbury.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Personal: 1997 prelim and GF. Was at the prelim and Bears should have got us but for a miracle cover tackle by Albert. GF: what a day for Knights fans.

At the stadium:

1991 GF Penriths first ever. Great game and plenty of emotion.

Origin game in the rain and mud (cannot recall the year). MG v T he King HT altercation and we were right behind Snoz o"Connor when he potted the conversion from the sideline in driving rain. Amazing!

axl rose

Bench
Personal: 1997 prelim and GF. Was at the prelim and Bears should have got us but for a miracle cover tackle by Albert. GF: what a day for Knights fans.

At the stadium:

1991 GF Penriths first ever. Great game and plenty of emotion.

Origin game in the rain and mud (cannot recall the year). MG v T he King HT altercation and we were right behind Snoz o"Connor when he potted the conversion from the sideline in driving rain. Amazing!

roofromoz

First Grade
1991 GF
Soward's field goal with 15 seconds left to sink the Roosters in the 2014 qualifying final

Least favourite was 2004 going there 3 times to see Penrith smashed by Souffs and the Roosters and then lose the prelim v Bulldogs.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I went there in 88 .. it rained.. and everyone whinged the roof was too short..

So Sydney

Bit sad to see something built in your lifetime knocked down

Prometheus

Juniors
I've only been to one game at the SFS. It was a Dragons v Roosters ANZAC Day match. Watching the Blackhawk land in the stadium to deliver the trophy was pretty awe inspiring. I've meant to go to more ANZAC Day matches ever since, but never seem to get around to it.

I can't believe it is being torn down after only 30 years. A major stadium made of steel and cement should last longer than three decades.

skeepe

Immortal
I wouldn’t call it the best, but one of the most memorable was Roosters vs Bulldogs early in 2004.

The Roosters were on fire and, as much as I hate them, they were great to watch in that era. They ended up winning 35-0, but the match was secondary to the sheer amount of crowd violence.

The feral Bulldogs supporter group were sitting at the scoreboard end and started throwing bottles on the field. Bad sure, but nothing out of control.

Things really kicked off though when Brett Finch picked up one of the bottles and threw it right back into the middle of the Bulldogs fans. It was then on for young and old. Bulldogs fans ripped up seats, Roosters fans were spitting on Bulldogs fans and calling them rapists (this was not long after Coffs Harbour), there was anarchy in the stands.

A night I won’t soon forget.

I wouldn’t call it the best, but one of the most memorable was Roosters vs Bulldogs early in 2004.

The Roosters were on fire and, as much as I hate them, they were great to watch in that era. They ended up winning 35-0, but the match was secondary to the sheer amount of crowd violence.

The feral Bulldogs supporter group were sitting at the scoreboard end and started throwing bottles on the field. Bad sure, but nothing out of control.

Things really kicked off though when Brett Finch picked up one of the bottles and threw it right back into the middle of the Bulldogs fans. It was then on for young and old. Bulldogs fans ripped up seats, Roosters fans were spitting on Bulldogs fans and calling them rapists (this was not long after Coffs Harbour), there was anarchy in the stands.

A night I won’t soon forget.

Yeh was there that night. Not pretty

Pedge1971

First Grade
I've only been to one game at the SFS. It was a Dragons v Roosters ANZAC Day match. Watching the Blackhawk land in the stadium to deliver the trophy was pretty awe inspiring. I've meant to go to more ANZAC Day matches ever since, but never seem to get around to it.

I can't believe it is being torn down after only 30 years. A major stadium made of steel and cement should last longer than three decades.

Still dont understand why it cannot be refurbished. Seems ludicrous.