What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

sempmrh

Juniors
I'm fine with the new logo but disappointed to lose the current Telstra Premiership logo with the trophy. It's so good.

Nuke

Staff member
I'm fine with the new logo but disappointed to lose the current Telstra Premiership logo with the trophy. It's so good.
I am with you 100% here. I LOVE the current Telstra Premiership logo and have done since it was first unveiled.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new logo, as I do feel it's too simple and has the all-important 'NRL' lettering missing which I feel is to its detriment. I think I understand why they've gone down this route, as it's very modern looking and does not look out of place in this social media world we live in these days, but I do fear it's not distinctive enough without the text below it clarifying that it's a sports comp logo that is sponsored by Telstra. I think there's too much open space in it, which can be fixed with the simple addition of the letters 'NRL'.

While the state logos won't be changing (updating) just yet, I do believe it's in the plans for future years, and I'm not sure, how the logo currently sits, how the different states will be distinctive from each other without colouring the logo and adding 'NSW', 'WA', 'QLD', ect, underneath ... tacked on the bottom.

So while I'm not disliking it, I am interested to see how it gets used in the future.

Below is what I would have done with it ... if it had to change, and had to look roughly the way it does.
The top two are if the logo must remain in black-and-white. The bottom two are what I'd do if the logo could be coloured to represent the country the team is from (NZ Warriors on the bottom-right, every other team on the bottom-left).

NRL 2019 Premiership logo adjustment ideas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Diesel

Coach
I am with you 100% here. I LOVE the current Telstra Premiership logo and have done since it was first unveiled.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new logo, as I do feel it's too simple and has the all-important 'NRL' lettering missing which I feel is to its detriment. I think I understand why they've gone down this route, as it's very modern looking and does not look out of place in this social media world we live in these days, but I do fear it's not distinctive enough without the text below it clarifying that it's a sports comp logo that is sponsored by Telstra. I think there's too much open space in it, which can be fixed with the simple addition of the letters 'NRL'.

While the state logos won't be changing (updating) just yet, I do believe it's in the plans for future years, and I'm not sure, how the logo currently sits, how the different states will be distinctive from each other without colouring the logo and adding 'NSW', 'WA', 'QLD', ect, underneath ... tacked on the bottom.

So while I'm not disliking it, I am interested to see how it gets used in the future.

Below is what I would have done with it ... if it had to change, and had to look roughly the way it does.
The top two are if the logo must remain in black-and-white. The bottom two are what I'd do if the logo could be coloured to represent the country the team is from (NZ Warriors on the bottom-right, every other team on the bottom-left).
View attachment 23687
The current Telstra premiership logo is good, it doesn’t need to be changed.
The concept one going around could at least have the chevrons going to the edge.
I could mock up a similar one if the NRL is willing to pay me and I don’t have any art skills

Saint Doc

Coach
I dislike the new logo.

But, it passes the national flag test, ie can be drawn by school children. I guess that’s a good thing?

Just further to my point re: simplicity.

I live the Toronto Wolfpack logo. So simple. Love how it looks like a wolf, but also forms the T of Toronto.

I feel this NRL logo is equally simple just not as cool.

mnJFqKOQc8PAIdKLY9ODgnr1Bo7UHZ9gNwZxKGPuHX2OlJ_I_8gUKctehGBDBONVmmHzGdr5BOLOckRszIeSle1aiS8vLosxlOauF4fyw1w9E_5gnOs-k_8P84RdAy3OEuwPoGgdiIe8TYGNsWzeG6smmBg_DKsXNdJH7DKCmfyaher4N33-e90-zaA3m7fqA8R6uMg=w384-h384-nc

insert.pause

First Grade

View attachment 23687
They look way better! Need NRL in the logo!

insert.pause

First Grade
Just further to my point re: simplicity.

I live the Toronto Wolfpack logo. So simple. Love how it looks like a wolf, but also forms the T of Toronto.

I feel this NRL logo is equally simple just not as cool.

mnJFqKOQc8PAIdKLY9ODgnr1Bo7UHZ9gNwZxKGPuHX2OlJ_I_8gUKctehGBDBONVmmHzGdr5BOLOckRszIeSle1aiS8vLosxlOauF4fyw1w9E_5gnOs-k_8P84RdAy3OEuwPoGgdiIe8TYGNsWzeG6smmBg_DKsXNdJH7DKCmfyaher4N33-e90-zaA3m7fqA8R6uMg=w384-h384-nc
This is the logo the titans should look to replicate with a helmet. Simple & classy.

GAZF

First Grade

View attachment 23687
Adding the wordmark into the shield kind of defeats the purpose of simplifying the logo imo. I think the simplest way to go is to replace the NRL in the text with the actual wordmark, if absolutely necessary. The black/white colouring is a bigger concern to me to be honest as it defeats the purpose of having a colour-flexible brand in the first place.

Saint Doc

Coach
Adding the wordmark into the shield kind of defeats the purpose of simplifying the logo imo. I think the simplest way to go is to replace the NRL in the text with the actual wordmark, if absolutely necessary. The black/white colouring is a bigger concern to me to be honest as it defeats the purpose of having a colour-flexible brand in the first place.

Surely it doesn’t stay black and white. SURELY!!

big hit!

Bench
Haven't gone through the entire thread.....have Parra dumped the abomination that is the 70 year wooden spoon anniversary strip for 2019?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No news on Parramatta's jersey yet. Nothing really from many clubs as yet.

gzerounian

Juniors
I can see where the NRL is heading with their simplified logo, however I still maintain that they are approaching this in the reverse order. There is a difference between a logo and a badge on a jersey. The NRL are designing a badge to also double as their logo. When the EPL updated their logo, it was incorporated into a badge only after the design was completed.
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 9.59.03 PM.png

Due to the digital era, simplification of logos or just changing to a single colour is becoming more prominent and many companies look great with their new simplified logos e.g., NSW Government, airbnb, instagram and gumtree (which i personally think looks amazing).

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 9.59.14 PM.png
Its refreshing that the NRL is heading in a similar direction; however unlike these companies, the NRL is restricting itself by trying to create a brand that is also a badge.

I think the current badge on the jerseys is nice. It's clever and unique and also fits in/matches with the new green NRL logo. The NRL could freshen the current badge up by just removing the definition and depth and making it all one colour. This would give them the new simpler look they are seeking without having to re-invent the wheel.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 8.57.20 PM.png

Nuke

Staff member
Surely it doesn’t stay black and white. SURELY!!
I would think not. Maybe just for 2019 as a way of introducing it (as the NRL did with the now-old new logo a few years ago ... they had the generic NRL logo one year, which became the Telstra Premiership version the next year, and I think it was the following year that the Warriors got their greyscale version). IF their plan is to colour co-ordinate the logo based on the team's jersey it sits upon, they may go with the black/white version in 2019 and introduce the coloured versions in 2020.

The two or three ones I saw on Friday night were all black & white, regardless of which team's jerseys I saw it on. Manly and Wests were the two I can recall off the top of my head now. Both had the same one.

I don't support this idea, but I wonder if the NRL would think along the lines of state/region based coloured TP logos? Warriors, being a NZ team, get a black-white-grey logo currently, so presumably would get that treatment with the new logo too. Would NSW-based NRL teams get a sky blue / dark blue / white version, Qld-based NRL teams get a maroon-white equivalent, Storm get a navy blue version, ect.
Again, not an idea I'd be happy to see introduced, but I do wonder if that thought has occurred to them.

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
I think the current badge on the jerseys is nice. It's clever and unique and also fits in/matches with the new green NRL logo. The NRL could freshen the current badge up by just removing the definition and depth and making it all one colour. This would give them the new simpler look they are seeking without having to re-invent the wheel.

View attachment 23754
This image is a great reason as to why the logo had to be simplified (since the NRL is looking at the branding approach you mentioned. The Provan-Summons image is rendered near illegible without a third colour to offset the highlights from the background. Way too many fine details that were difficult to make out originally, let alone in single colour applications, and especially at smaller sizes.

The new logo might not be what everyone here is keen on aesthetically but it blows the current one out of the water in terms of achieving the desired outcomes while still being easy to view.

I would think not. Maybe just for 2019 as a way of introducing it (as the NRL did with the now-old new logo a few years ago ... they had the generic NRL logo one year, which became the Telstra Premiership version the next year, and I think it was the following year that the Warriors got their greyscale version). IF their plan is to colour co-ordinate the logo based on the team's jersey it sits upon, they may go with the black/white version in 2019 and introduce the coloured versions in 2020.

If that's the case, they should have held off for another year while they got their shit sorted. I hate how they've rushed in logo sets half-baked in the last 5 years.

I don't support this idea, but I wonder if the NRL would think along the lines of state/region based coloured TP logos? Warriors, being a NZ team, get a black-white-grey logo currently, so presumably would get that treatment with the new logo too. Would NSW-based NRL teams get a sky blue / dark blue / white version, Qld-based NRL teams get a maroon-white equivalent, Storm get a navy blue version, ect.
Again, not an idea I'd be happy to see introduced, but I do wonder if that thought has occurred to them.

Not the best way to express that the league is unified and not fractured at a state/territory level. I was thinking that the logo may change colours each year - it would possibly give merch sales another nudge and make it easier to work out what year old footage/images belongs to.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
7 logos in 21 years. I said it before...
What are the 7 logos?

The NRL itself (the organisation) has had two logos, three if you count the green one which is just a cleaned up version of the 2013 iteration.

The Premiership logo has had five:
- The weird long box above the NRL logo in 2000-01
- The Telstra-coloured torpedo 2002-06
- The integrated NRL shield in Telstra colours 2007-12
- The short-lived rounded version of the same thing in 2012 (do we really count it?)
- The current version 2013-2018

This new minimalist thing will be six. I don't see it as a big deal, most comps (and clubs across all codes) are going through some kind of rebrand. A-League did it only last year and FFA followed suit just last week.

Latest posts