What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

Cactus

Juniors
Bump, collision, drop the shoulder, body check what ever you want to call it. .

Add "jostle" to that list, which incidentally has nothing to do with what Slater did.

Slater was not competing with an opposing player for possession of the ball, in which he can shoulder/compete/bump/jostle (whatever) someone.

Rather he took out that player who was already in possession, to prevent a try, which although admirable breached the shoulder charge rule.

The rest of this thread is superfluous.

GongPanther

Referee
Get charged with punching someone in the face? Just tell your brief you were just trying to swat a fly off his nose with your pinky finger.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Add "jostle" to that list, which incidentally has nothing to do with what Slater did.

Slater was not competing with an opposing player for possession of the ball, in which he can shoulder/compete/bump/jostle (whatever) someone.

Rather he took out that player who was already in possession, to prevent a try, which although admirable breached the shoulder charge rule.

The rest of this thread is superfluous.

I was talking about a block runner jostling a winger/center/fullback away from the ball. Yes innocuous but still shoulder charging them off there line. Referees often blow penalties for this indiscrection but maybe shoulder charge penalties is the answer then?? I’d like think sanity prevails.

You say he breached the shoulder charge rule with such certainty. Like I said a few posts back. The rule as it stands is grey in what slater did. No one can dispute that. The fact it does say, “attempt to use his arm” adds a whole lot of grey. Now rightly or wrongly the Nrl match review committee feel they have a strong case and so does Billy. Having media personalities like Fittler so adamant about what he feels is a shoulder charge is rediculous. His chemical filled roosters brain shouldn’t be dictating rule definitions and potential disciplinary actions when it gives his beloved team a massive leg up on gf day.

MilkShark

First Grade
Having media personalities like Fittler so adamant about what he feels is a shoulder charge is rediculous. His chemical filled roosters brain shouldn’t be dictating rule definitions and potential disciplinary actions when it gives his beloved team a massive leg up on gf day.
Correct.

And nor should emotion (last game emotion) allow Slater the opportunity to play.

Was it a shoulder charge? Yes, everybody has agreed on this.

End of story, lets not allow this to become a confusing decision when its absolutely clear cut.

The_Shield

Juniors
You know what I find funny? Everybody says all they want is consistency with this type of thing but yet they want to make an example out of Slater during the last game of the year. If you want to make an example out of someone then do it at the start of the season, plenty of players this year have made very similar tackles and weren’t even penalised but now all of a sudden it’s the biggest problem in the game. Just look at the last two times the NRL wanted to make an example at this time of the year, 2008 & 2014, Cameron Smith and Isaac Luke get suspended because the NRL wanted to make an example out of them, but the very next years let Hayne and Hodges play “for the good of the game”

The_Shield

Juniors
Correct.

And nor should emotion (last game emotion) allow Slater the opportunity to play.

End of story, lets not allow this to become a confusing decision when its absolutely clear cut.
Everybody does not agree on that. By the rules it’s not a shoulder charge. The rules state a shoulder charge needs no use or attempt of use of the arms, Slaters arms are clearly involved, therefore it’s not a shoulder charge

typicalfan

Coach
Correct.

Lets remove the "Billy Slater is a grub and plays for Melbourne" emotion while we are at it. If there was ever an inhibitor of sensible judgement it would be this.

MilkShark

First Grade
Everybody does not agree on that. By the rules it’s not a shoulder charge. The rules state a shoulder charge needs no use or attempt of use of the arms, Slaters arms are clearly involved, therefore it’s not a shoulder charge
Please don't, you're clutching at straws.

You saying that is like vaughtin saying every league supporter wants him to play, its totally untrue, and probably more people don't want him to play.

Slater has played above the rules his entire career without ever paying a price. This is a major reason they want him outted in this game. If he plays it's just another example of 2 sets of rules.

Also I don't care for the ''i feel sorry for him its his last game''. He has played in numerous grand finals, origins, test matches and won countless awards. He has achieved absolutely everything. I feel sorry for those that never played in a GF, origin or test match.

Of all the people, he should have known better than to do what he did, he knows the rules, he knows them far better than us.

If you want to doing that stupid, i'm sorry but you will pay the price.

MilkShark

First Grade
Lets remove the "Billy Slater is a grub and plays for Melbourne" emotion while we are at it. If there was ever an inhibitor of sensible judgement it would be this.
For some it is that, I want the rules upheld. I was happy when we were blowing 30 penalties a match because rules were being broken.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
That’s half the problem, fans, media personalities make strong, direct opinions without any regard of the actual rules and the grey areas that the Nrl has. And the Nrl has to take interpretation (grey area) into it. Numerous times commnetators have blown up saying the decision is wrong but it actually turns out the ref was right. Then the commentator complains that the rule should be changed. Refs job are to be independent and rule on what they see and how they interpret it as should the commentators. Do you honestly think that with all the years Gus and Fittler have been around football even they make obvious rule mistakes. It would be a roosters v panthers gf every year if they had any say. God help us.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

That's true, and somehow I've been able to remove myself from that - even though I can't stand Billy Slater and even less so Melbourne.

I imagine this has been posted plenty of times but it's the wording of the NRL's rulings that means that Slater should be suspended. There's no wiggle room that really wasn't anything else Slater could have done in that situation - there was no opportunity to wrap his arms around. If he'd put his arms up and around he'd probably have been knocked out.

I don't like the guy but I hope, ala Wighton, there will be some wiggle room with arm separation from the torso - because it's a nonsense rule interpretation.

Actually no I don't. I don't think he should be suspended but I hope he is because I hate Melbourne and all they stand for. That's not rational but here we are.

typicalfan

Coach
Please don't, you're clutching at straws.

You saying that is like vaughtin saying every league supporter wants him to play, its totally untrue, and probably more people don't want him to play.

Slater has played above the rules his entire career without ever paying a price. This is a major reason they want him outted in this game. If he plays it's just another example of 2 sets of rules.

Also I don't care for the ''i feel sorry for him its his last game''. He has played in numerous grand finals, origins, test matches and won countless awards. He has achieved absolutely everything. I feel sorry for those that never played in a GF, origin or test match.

Of all the people, he should have known better than to do what he did, he knows the rules, he knows them far better than us.

If you want to doing that stupid, i'm sorry but you will pay the price.
Slater was stripped of 2 premierships wasn't he?

Slater has done those things because he is the bes why would this make any difference to this incident. Doesnt matter who made the tackle.

MilkShark

First Grade
Slater was stripped of 2 premierships wasn't he?

Slater has done those things because he is the bes why would this make any difference to this incident. Doesnt matter who made the tackle.
Salary cap cheating aside, he played with very questionable tactics his entire career.

His questionable tactics make him the best? Why would you think that?
Others don't do it because its against the rules of the game.

If this were Fifita or Burgess they would be stoned and everyone here would be cheering for it. But because it's slater it is ok? Crazy talk.

typicalfan

Coach
For some it is that, I want the rules upheld. I was happy when we were blowing 30 penalties a match because rules were being broken.
I want Slater and Cronk to play because I want the two best teams to be at full strength with no excuses. Slater doesnt play then if the Roosters win this there will always be a what if Slater played scenario. I dont care who wins. Part of me would love the Roosters to get up just so guys like Ennis in the media who criticised them all year are forced to eat their words. The Cronk/Pearce thing can be put to rest

The_Shield

Juniors
Salary cap cheating aside, he played with very questionable tactics his entire career.

His questionable tactics make him the best? Why would you think that?
Others don't do it because its against the rules of the game.

If this were Fifita or Burgess they would be stoned and everyone here would be cheering for it. But because it's slater it is ok? Crazy talk.
You do realise that Fifita got absolutely nothing for his crusher tackle and late shot and nobody seems to give two shits about it just because the Sharks are out now

MilkShark

First Grade
You do realise that Fifita got absolutely nothing for his crusher tackle and late shot and nobody seems to give two shits about it just because the Sharks are out now
Without being biased, that wasn't a crusher and the tackle wasn't late. Even the commentators who are now supporting slater said so. Watch anything in slow motion and it looks bad.

MilkShark

First Grade
I want Slater and Cronk to play because I want the two best teams to be at full strength with no excuses. Slater doesnt play then if the Roosters win this there will always be a what if Slater played scenario. I dont care who wins. Part of me would love the Roosters to get up just so guys like Ennis in the media who criticised them all year are forced to eat their words. The Cronk/Pearce thing can be put to rest
I want the best players on the field also, but I am sick to death of favourtism in the game.

I don't know what Ennis said, I don't watch the footy shows, only the game when it's on but will take your word that he gave it the storm this year.

Latest posts