What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

MilkShark

First Grade
If a player has no recourse to stop a try within the rules, then they let the try be scored. Or they can elect to deliberately break those rules and be sin binned/sent off and potentially suspended depending on what method of foul play they elect to deploy.

Honestly I don’t get what angle you are going for here with this “what other option did he have?” line of thinking. There is always another option - to let the man score the try that you have no legitimate recourse of stopping.
This times 1 million billion.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Gee some of the mental gymnastics in this thread is f**king hilarious. Arms tucked into the body and hits him with the shoulder.. its a shoulder charge...as mentioned above the debatable contact made by his right hand is completely incidental and just as a result of his running stride. To try and suggest this was a attempt by Billy to use his arms in the tackle is laughable.

For the record i don't think it deserves a suspension however as the rules are written today if they want to maintain the integrity of the game they have no choice but to have him sit down for a week.

MilkShark

First Grade
Napa got done for a tackle that people were arguing was a fair tackle, and now there are people saying slaters was a fair tackle.

That alone means slater should be suspended.

t-ba

Post Whore
Billy suspended
Cronk out injured
Roosters win
Cam makes his losers speech

Make it happen

ywOpPB7.gif

Billythekid

First Grade
It’s hard to argue with that being a shoulder charge under the current rules. Whether you agree with the rule or not is irrelevant.

Maybe this will be the incident to finally get the NRL to look at this ridiculous rule. The shoulder charge rule has never made a lick of sense and was just a sloppy attempt to make it look like they were making the game safer.

carcharias

Immortal
It’s hard to argue with that being a shoulder charge under the current rules. Whether you agree with the rule or not is irrelevant.

Maybe this will be the incident to finally get the NRL to look at this ridiculous rule. The shoulder charge rule has never made a lick of sense and was just a sloppy attempt to make it look like they were making the game safer.

Ha
You serious?
It was dangerous.
That’s why it’s banned, the potential for bad injury is too big.
The game is hard enough without f**kwits using a cocked shoulder to knock blokes senseless.
The bloke with the ball is a sitting duck.

Billythekid

First Grade
Ha
You serious?
It was dangerous.
That’s why it’s banned, the potential for bad injury is too big.
The game is hard enough without f**kwits using a cocked shoulder to knock blokes senseless.
The bloke with the ball is a sitting duck.

This argument was hashed out a million times when the original ban happened and I’ve stated why I disagree.

They only knock blokes senseless when they make contact with the head. You can do that with a swinging arm or just a normal tackle. The problem isn’t the shoulder charge it’s the contact with the head. I’d be fine with players receiving huge bans for reckless tackles making contact with the head. Do a shoulder charge and hit someone’s head? Find yourself with a 10+ week ban.

The other problem is it ignores all the other dangerous tackles. You see shoulder charges which are soft as butter getting penalised or receiving suspensions. Then the next tackle someone like Burgess can absolutely f**king wreck someone using proper form and the tackle is deemed fine.

That’s the problem. You can still absolutely smash people and knock them senseless without doing a shoulder charge.

This was a knee jerk reaction to the concussion problem in the NFL and fear of parents not letting their kids play the game because it’s too dangerous.

myrrh ken

First Grade
This argument was hashed out a million times when the original ban happened and I’ve stated why I disagree.

They only knock blokes senseless when they make contact with the head. You can do that with a swinging arm or just a normal tackle. The problem isn’t the shoulder charge it’s the contact with the head. I’d be fine with players receiving huge bans for reckless tackles making contact with the head. Do a shoulder charge and hit someone’s head? Find yourself with a 10+ week ban.

The other problem is it ignores all the other dangerous tackles. You see shoulder charges which are soft as butter getting penalised or receiving suspensions. Then the next tackle someone like Burgess can absolutely f**king wreck someone using proper form and the tackle is deemed fine.

That’s the problem. You can still absolutely smash people and knock them senseless without doing a shoulder charge.

This was a knee jerk reaction to the concussion problem in the NFL and fear of parents not letting their kids play the game because it’s too dangerous.

Are you also happy with diving at the feet of a kicker?

carcharias

Immortal

You can’t use a knee, your head or an elbow either.
For good reason.
Dunno why you cannot grasp the reasoning.

It has the potential to really injure someone.
The potential is there.

YoHadrian

Juniors
The disciplinary proceedings should have been pushed to have been held last night so that in all fairness both teams can have most of the week to sufficiently prepare regardless of the outcome. This circus is very disruptive to everyone.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The disciplinary proceedings should have been pushed to have been held last night so that in all fairness both teams can have most of the week to sufficiently prepare regardless of the outcome. This circus is very disruptive to everyone.

They tried to, the NRL in all its competence ended up having both of its legal counsel away on the Monday before a grand final.

Valheru

Coach
The whole "I had no other option" stance has zero weight. Daniel Tupou and Blake Ferguson made legal try saving tackles in the same game against wests in similar circumstances.

Every single person involved in rugby league knows what Billy did was a shoulder charge. I know it, Billy knows it, the rest of the storm players/coaches know it and every person arguing that it isn't a shoulder charge knows it as well.

Having said that he will be cleared tonight and that should come to the shock of no one. He will be cleared because of who he is and the fact it is his last game. There is no room for that to be the reason for leniency in the judicial process but that is what will happen. The reason they will give is the other arm brushing Feki first which will set a precedent effectively overturning the ban of the shoulder charge.

If anyone is not prepared for the decision to be overturned tonight you are kidding yourself.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I found myself feeling rather ill, agreeing with what Phil Gould said on 100% Footy about the shoulder charge and covering tackles...then he launches into this:

“Sport is about its champions,” Gould said.

‘’People follow sport because of your champions. They don’t follow sport to watch the referees referee. They don’t follow the game because the game makes a profit. They don’t follow a sport because you rub shoulders with the right politicians. They don’t follow a sport because you have great governance, they follow it for the champions.

“No game rubs its champions out more than the NRL. It makes me sick.’’

This man should not be allowed to be part of our game. This is how his brain works, we should openly give concessions and free passes to our best players.. What a pathetic message to send.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Judiciary hearings are heard on Tuesdays.

The dally m circus is more of a distraction, are they moving that?

Life's Good

Coach
It’s a shoulder charge, plain & simple. I accept that Slater used an arm in one way, shape or form but that, to me, does not lessen the impact made by using the shoulder.
I believe he should be suspended but if he gets off, so be it. He won’t be the first nor last to win at the judiciary.

Irrespective, this thread will be worth reading from about 8pm tonight.

YoHadrian

Juniors
Judiciary hearings are heard on Tuesdays.

The dally m circus is more of a distraction, are they moving that?

I'm aware that the proceeding are held on Tuesday. This is Grand Final week though, could have made an exception however has been pointed out both lawyers were having a long weekend so it's a moot point anyway.

The only effort that the Dally M awards requires is a bloke having a shower,shave & shit, sticking on a monkey suit & rocking up somewhere for a few hours in the evening. The only major effort required will be listening to their significant other getting ready & having to placate her as to hot she looks compared to the other WAG's.

Latest posts